Our Sisu 26 featured on "The Apron Project"

ianbw

Lieutenant
Website
www.northforkoysters.com
Boat Make
Sisu 26
Our oyster farm was selected to be showcased in something called the "Apron Project". It is a campaign by Progressive Insurance to show people who are out there doing something different.

Anyway, my favorite part is that we now have some really sweet footage of the boat running. I have never seen the boat run from a distance so it was awesome to see.

Thanks to this amazing forum for all of your help getting this old girl moving and working this summer. I can't wait to get it rigged up right over the winter for next year.

If you want to check it out you can watch the video on YT @

Apron Projects - Little Creek Oysters - YouTube

and more on our site at Little Creek Oysters | Fresh, clean, sustainable. Oysters Grown with pride in the Peconic Bay, NY

screen-shot-2013-09-23-at-7-47-48-pm.png

img_0170.jpg

ianbw

Lieutenant
Website
www.northforkoysters.com
Boat Make
Sisu 26
Thanks Steve. I dragged a buddy into to an early morning wake up to run his Parker out there as a chase boat for the shoot.

I am really glad I did- love seeing the boat running from a distance. Plus- the paint doesn't look so bad from there!

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
Thanks guys.

My wife is cringing since she has to bungee the waist of her Grundens.

"Do I look fat in these?"

Treacherous waters!

We can all tell she's a skinny girl !! The oilers just make her look even skinnier ! Buy her one of those nice Grundens elastic belts to wear with the oilers or just buy her a kids size !! My wife used to go and band for me when i lobstered but when i got her on deck to pick fish she just slowed me down so i demoted her back to cook and fish counter.
nancy lobstering.jpg

nancy lobstering.jpg

ianbw

Lieutenant
Website
www.northforkoysters.com
Boat Make
Sisu 26
It has been a great working platform already and I look forward to really rigging it up right.

Also, I don't have to tell this forum that these boats help tug at the heartstrings from the dock, even for those who know nothing about boats.

The iconic nature of a beautiful working boat at the dock has helped us find a home where there are few commercial docks and nobody quite wants to see actual work being done.

I had someone with a home nearby tell me that it is like we hung a painting outside his window.

Ian

ianbw

Lieutenant
Website
www.northforkoysters.com
Boat Make
Sisu 26
Definitely lucky.

Just jamming along everyday trying to make it work. Setbacks galore, just keep going.

And of course the part they don't talk about is that we often do the early morning work so we can both get some "day job" time in by 9 or so.

I give massive credit to all the guys on this forum who are really out there on the water every day trying to make a living and support families.

Dr Dude

Captain
Lite User
Boat Make
Fortier 33 , McKeeCraft 28

ianbw

Lieutenant
Website
www.northforkoysters.com
Boat Make
Sisu 26
I can not tell you how lucky you are to be living and working in one of the most beautiful places on God's good earth...because I'm sure you already know it.
I used to fish Peconic Bay for weaks and fluke when we lived out in Long Island.
The best of luck to you and your beautiful family and your oyster endeavor
(and your cool Sisu).
Claudio's rocks!!!!
;););)

Tell me about it. I am happy to say that there are days where I look around and am amazed by my surroundings. On land and sea. I wasn't lucky enough to grow up here or have family roots here stretching to colonial days, but have incredibly strong feelings for the community and this bay and couldn't be happier to raise my son here.

This is just our first year in the water (after nearly 2 years of chasing permits!) but I am hopeful that we can start to create some real jobs for people and make something important happen.

And yeah- my house is just blocks from town and Claudios (as well as so many other great places that have sprung up.) Convenient for wobbly WALK home.

Thanks to all you guys for checking out the videos.

Toolate

Admiral
First Name
Ben
Boat Make
1998 36' Sabre Express CAT 3116TA's, 2015 ROS Scotia 16 Etec 50
I may have had a few thousand oysters in my past with at least one beer to wash them down. The whole area is so picturesque.

Ever make it to the firemans BBQ summer party on Shelter Is? That is a must if you are near. A great day of beer, old machinery and all things America.

Congrats on your venture and best of luck.

Dr Dude

Captain
Lite User
Boat Make
Fortier 33 , McKeeCraft 28

ianbw

Lieutenant
Website
www.northforkoysters.com
Boat Make
Sisu 26
Dr Dude- Thanks!

I am taking some guests out in the morning- they want to haul some cages and get mucky! I'll try and shoot a little of our "sightseeing" along the way, give you a nice taste of the bay!

I'll keep posting stuff (usually toss stuff up on facebook too @ facebook.com/northforkoysters)

This has been a really great first year, even including some significant trials and setbacks.

And yeah- that Barbie freaked me out and would have been the first thing off the boat, but now that we have the backstory- we are all afraid she'll go overboard!

Thanks again for your enthusiasm and good wishes.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom