Out with the old and in with the new

oldshell55

Captain
Boat Make
BHM36 , 38’ young bros ,
new rudder

what was the cost of the new rudder? ,looks great, like to hear of the performance difference also

backman

Captain
Boat Make
Northern Bay 36
Its a Northern Bay 36 hull and I don't have a price yet (gulp). I have been warned - "not cheap due to the cost of 1/2" 316 steel" but have a bunch of other fab work also.

Its one of those "it is what it is" deals unfortunately.

Sea trial next week; we shall see how she performs then. Fingers crossed for a hair more speed at cruise but I have also straightened my shaft, realigned the engine, replaced worn cutlass bearings and replaced a leaky turbo so a lot has changed over the winter and its going to be hard to attribute all improvement only to the rudder.

Toolate

Admiral
First Name
Ben
Boat Make
1998 36' Sabre Express CAT 3116TA's, 2015 ROS Scotia 16 Etec 50
Did you duplicate the old rudders dimensions or add little here and there? Looks nice.

Picked mine up yesterday. No pics yet.

backman

Captain
Boat Make
Northern Bay 36
The steel one is 120#; I can one hand the old one off the ground so its probably 30# or less. Moe weight down low is a good thing!

oldshell55

Captain
Boat Make
BHM36 , 38’ young bros ,
Old and new rudders - fiberglass replaced with 1/2" steel!

looks like the bolts for the pintle bearing stick out the bottom of the skeg, is that temporary? looks like a nice job though ,I like the taper on the ends of the rudder post , looks very streamlined, along with the shaft tube/deadwood taper. Is 1/2" standard thickness for SS rudder this size

backman

Captain
Boat Make
Northern Bay 36
The fabricator deliberately rounded the shaft ends to balls for speed. I have 670 HP and he felt he needed to go to 1/2" vs 3/8 to avoid the potential to havw the rudder fold in a hard turn.

He cut it to the size of the old rudder and rounded the trailing edge a bit. His view is better to strong and cut it down; then have to repair it because it was too weak.

We discussed the bolts on the shaft bearing, the consensus is that it wont be a huge drag compared to the old setup. Time will tell on that.

I asked about cutting a hole for the shaft to come out and the fabricator was not comfortable with a 2 1/4" hole in the rudder.

Raider Ronnie

Vice Admiral
Lite User
Website
www.bostonharborcharters.com
Boat Make
33 Flowers.

Blitzen

Admiral
Boat Make
Flowers Boat Works 46 hull #1, Flowers Boat Works 36 hull #1, Wayne Beal 28 Hull #1, Repco 30 1968,
Before you splash, I would spray that puppy with some of this stuff.

index.jpg

oldshell55

Captain
Boat Make
BHM36 , 38’ young bros ,
The fabricator deliberately rounded the shaft ends to balls for speed. I have 670 HP and he felt he needed to go to 1/2" vs 3/8 to avoid the potential to havw the rudder fold in a hard turn.

He cut it to the size of the old rudder and rounded the trailing edge a bit. His view is better to strong and cut it down; then have to repair it because it was too weak.

We discussed the bolts on the shaft bearing, the consensus is that it wont be a huge drag compared to the old setup. Time will tell on that.

I asked about cutting a hole for the shaft to come out and the fabricator was not comfortable with a 2 1/4" hole in the rudder.

the bolts would only concern me as a snag , I fish trawls so I see it as something to grab the line as you turn on it , but if your not fishing I guess its ok.

captcod

Lieutenant
im very curious as to your bill for this beautiful rudder since i had a similar one made 2 years ago and was horrified when i got the bill......:D:D

jwalka51

Captain
Boat Make
26' Webber Cove lobster boat.
I am building one very similar to this for a customer of mine with a 45' novi. The one I am doing is a little bigger and has more welding involved because the shaft goes all the way through the rudder, and it has two lateral stabilizers.

All that being said, my customer will be somewhere just south of $1500. That is including all the materials, and paying me to get the old rudder out. I think that is a fair price for all parties considered.

jwalka51

Captain
Boat Make
26' Webber Cove lobster boat.
You will be fine with the hole. If he still has an issue with it then have him cut two 4" discs out of 1/4" stainless plate. Make a hole in the middle of the disc the same size as the hole in the rudder. Weld the donuts around the rudder hole on each side of the rudder. This will add plenty of structural strength the he claims you need. Honestly, I am pretty certain that you would tear the skeg off the boat before you bent that rudder. Good luck

Top Bottom