Outboard hours...?

Bill

Founder
Boat Make
27 Terry Jason
Wondering who has seen what for motor hours on 4 stroke outboards.. I’ve “heard” the coast guard boats get 10k hours out of the Honda’s.. a buddy told me a guy at his marina has over 5k on a Suzuki and still runs like a top .. wanted to know what some of you guys have seen.. the 1000hr stigma is still out there on them but I think the clocks are running a lot longer on some with these newer motors . Thanks in advance

CCtuna

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Some day...
Sport boats run yammi and Verados. Work boats run Honda and Suzuki. I don’t think it’s unreasonable to expect 5k hours out of the right outboard used responsibly with good maintenance.

Blacktide

Commander
Boat Make
Northern Bay 36
3-5000 is what i have gotten. I never had one blow, just replaced them at that point.

DotRat

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Row Boat
I was running Honda's at my sailing club and those things got BEAT TO HELL! Used year round and always started, Maintenance is the key but I would say they were about 5000 to 8000 hours when we would start running into problems, mostly lower units and internal corrosion that would mix the oil with the cooling water. The corrosion was mostly because they were never flushed. Great engines!

AGL

Lieutenant
First Name
Martin
Boat Make
Custom
My GPS in my car says an average speed of 30 MPH historically, including sitting at red lights etc, and 200,000 miles isn't unusual. That works out to 6500 hours.

Yeah I know there are differences in loading, number of starts, temperature, etc, but for me puts engine life questions into perspective.

OceanTrvlr

Lieutenant
Lite User
First Name
Ethan
Boat Make
Twin Vee; Boston Whaler; North River RAIV; Uniflite

Kailua Kid

Commander
Website
www.gibbonslawgroup.com
Boat Make
General Marine 26; Klamath 19; Sparkman & Stephens Yankee 38 sloop
Wondering who has seen what for motor hours on 4 stroke outboards.. I’ve “heard” the coast guard boats get 10k hours out of the Honda’s.. a buddy told me a guy at his marina has over 5k on a Suzuki and still runs like a top .. wanted to know what some of you guys have seen.. the 1000hr stigma is still out there on them but I think the clocks are running a lot longer on some with these newer motors . Thanks in advance
My last commuter skiff had a four stroke Honda 90 that had been run a couple hours or more almost daily since new in 2008. I don’t remember now how many thousand hours were on the meter when I sold it, but it was several. I think most “newer” type four strokes will corrode away from without or die of utter neglect (oil changes, gearbox service, water pump impeller) long before they will wear out from being run, even run hard.

cb34

Rear Admiral
My brother runs a 5 outboard dive boats down in Cayman. Over the past 34 years he has been thru many engines Yamaha, Zukes and Honda. He has had the best luck with Yamaha 2 stroke enduros, which unfortunately can not be purchased here. The 200hp Enduro out performs the 250 Zukes. He stop buying Zukes because of lower unit problems. One of his enduros had 18000 hrs and still going when he replaced it.

GansettCharlie

Lieutenant
Boat Make
Parker 2520
I've got 1600 hrs on a 250 yammi 4 stroke. Looks and runs perfect. I do all the maintenance when its needed and flush it every day. Friend has over 10,000 hrs on his 250 yammi so I'm not too concerned about 1600!

Kailua Kid

Commander
Website
www.gibbonslawgroup.com
Boat Make
General Marine 26; Klamath 19; Sparkman & Stephens Yankee 38 sloop
My brother runs a 5 outboard dive boats down in Cayman. Over the past 34 years he has been thru many engines Yamaha, Zukes and Honda. He has had the best luck with Yamaha 2 stroke enduros, which unfortunately can not be purchased here. The 200hp Enduro out performs the 250 Zukes. He stop buying Zukes because of lower unit problems. One of his enduros had 18000 hrs and still going when he replaced it.
The 2 stroke Yamaha Enduros are the motor of choice for small boat commercial fisheries around the world. Oh I wish they were allowed to be sold here! I suppose it would be possible to buy one overseas (Mexico, even) and ship it home as a “used” engine. Probably not Kosher, but doable.

leaky

Vice Admiral
I would expect ANY outboard, including the 2 strokes, to go > 2000 hours these days.

That 5000+ hours stuff is amazing regardless, though I think it's gotta be related to the use pattern. The same reason why you see a commercial lobster boat with 10K on an engine "running strong" and a sportfish with a pair of the same ends up repowering at 4000 hours.

MarketPrice2020

Lieutenant
Just acquired my first Honda BF 225. Excited for her. Going to be all commercial use. Many of the commercial smaller boats around me switched to Honda.

Had a 90hp etec on my small skiff and near the 3000 hour mark on her. Engine still runs fine. She was very good to me.

Top Bottom