Outboard question

Alison Tuna

Captain
Boat Make
Privateer
1998 Evenrude 200
Carbed

Boat runs great all day. Starts right up in morning.

Everyday pulling into dock it idles low n sometimes stalls....

I have a water/fuel separator as well as standard omc spin on filter after it.

Haven't drained the water from bottom of racor in some time.
can the issue be some water getting thru?

Don't think it's the IDE because when I first start it it runs perfect.

pugsley

Captain
It's an evinrude man, you're lucky it even runs..

does that motor have that fast start? idles quick when you start, and then slown down when motor gets warm. anyhow, if it does it may be possible that when you leave in the morning it is still in fast idle, and when you come home and slow down the fast start has shut off like it's supposed to, and maybe the idle is just too low.

MikesMarine22

Captain
Boat Make
Holland 14, YB 33
It could be any number of problems with those engines. I always start with compression test, spark test, check the fuel condition and go from there. Check fuel lines and connections, primer bulb, list goes on.....

Alison Tuna

Captain
Boat Make
Privateer
I have no issues with the evinrudes.....

All fuel lines etc are a year old at best. Compression was done a year ago n it was good. Maybe it's as easy as raising the idle?

captjohn

Captain
Boat Make
Henriques
That was my thought. Do you know what the engine is idling at and what it should be?

MASTERENEGADE

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Had a DE, now 24' Privateer
After the basics that have been mentioned, check the bottom two carbs, I have a 2000 v4 90hp Johnson, same engineering as the V6(almost certain) just two cylinders less. I had both rebuilt, and whatta differance. Again, it could be a number of things.

Pugsley: Johnson/Evinrudes have always been great to me as well! I think im on my 5th one, only cause i have run the life out of 2, sold the other 2 for good money and Im still running my 5th that is now almost 14 yrs old.

MASTERENEGADE

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Had a DE, now 24' Privateer
Honestly couldnt really tell you, maybe a lil bit, Ran almost brand new though. My 90 burns very lil to begin with I never worried about it. Did run cleaner and smoother.

Toolate

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
Ben
Boat Make
1998 36' Sabre Express CAT 3116TA's, 2015 ROS Scotia 16 Etec 50

pugsley

Captain
I have no issues with the evinrudes.....

All fuel lines etc are a year old at best. Compression was done a year ago n it was good. Maybe it's as easy as raising the idle?

i was just messin' those 200s were tough motors, as long as you can haul gas to them. i meant to put a "jk" in before, but i forgot, it doesn't matter what you run someone out there is gonna talk smack about it.

Kodiakan

Commander
I think when you start it you activate the choke solonoid with the key switch which keeps it running good while cold. It would be interesting to know how hot it gets as lots of motors die at idle when too warm. Like you mentioned it could also be just an idle adjustment as cables stretch and things sometimes loosen up. Good luck on the fix.

Chum Pot

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
Parker
Check the float(s) in the carb(s) as you are getting good operation otherwise it seems. Ethanol eats them up.
Is it leaving fuel on the water out of the exhaust when at idle? I think you mentioned using more gas than normal. Check fuel needles and needle seats in the carbs in addition to the floats in that case.
Basically you are into the inner workings of the carbs as it starts and runs OK, the idle stalling is the fine tuning area that these little parts are involved with.

Top Bottom