outer banks

mcangelo41

Commander
Went down and did a split charter for whites. There was a fleet of at least 100 Carolina customs all 45< I saw one cc...it was a week day so I assume a lot of the boats were charters....but not one de? I spoke to the captain he said all the boats are generally 55ish customs and not many de...I was suprised that the local guys don't run them...my captain said no charter wants to run 17kt

Was interesting as well because we left from Oregon inlet and the grounds were only 30-40mi out

Was an awesome trip and cool to see some of those 1M $ customs but was shocked not one de.

Hope all is well with those boys down there I heard they closed down the fishing center and a lot of the charter boats lost their slips..is this true? Anything like that happen to the northeast marinas?

pugsley

Captain
there are a few de's doing the inshore charters, the poacher, and capt duke, and a few others, but like he said they all want to run faster.

the fishing center is closed, they had to move their boats other places, as soon as they quit playing in washington they will be back in there, i don't remember this happening last time the gov shut down, maybe i have a bad memory?

petrel

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
56' DMR, 31' BHM
The "Good Times" is no longer a 42' Bruno (that one had a fire a few years ago), but there are still a couple of other 42' Bruno/Cape Dorys around in Hatteras. One has I think a 600 hp Cat and the other has a 450 hp 6CTA. They cruise in the 17 to 20 knot range, which is plenty for Hatteras, but it just doesn't cut it at Oregon Inlet where they sometimes run 40 or 50 miles, which is double our run down here. Hoping to have a 31' BHM in the charter fleet next year for inshore trips. In the meantime I hope some King Mackerel show up. It's about time.

Kahuna

Lieutenant
Yes in fact most charter boats are of local decent although the commercial fleet are mostly all de. My personal boat kahuna is a de and is active in both fisheries. Speed is an issue however fuel is an obstacle as it is for all. Around here on the obx keel is a real benefit in our inlet. Week to week I would never attempt our inlet without a keel. Make that day to day

mcangelo41

Commander
there are a few de's doing the inshore charters, the poacher, and capt duke, and a few others, but like he said they all want to run faster.

the fishing center is closed, they had to move their boats other places, as soon as they quit playing in washington they will be back in there, i don't remember this happening last time the gov shut down, maybe i have a bad memory?

That's crazy...all the best too those guys in the already thin margins...

Frank Grimes

Rear Admiral
First Name
John
as long as the charters are willing to pony up the extra $$ for fuel as prices rise, guys will still run twin engine fast boats. There have been a good number of single engine carolina boats built as well, not in several years but John Bayliss recently bought back a boat he used to run, a mid 40's Ricky Scarborough probably 30 years old with a single screw and completely redid the boat. I think it cruises around 30kts with a C18.

tunaorlater

Admiral
Boat Make
40' Northern bay
My personal choice in nc would be to charter a custom Carolina boat because it's not something I would normally get on. If I were chartering a ground fish or giant trip up north I would be looking for a downeast, down south it would be a go fast.

petrel

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
56' DMR, 31' BHM
Definitely the local boats are built for the conditions. The single engine boats in the 45 to 55 foot range built locally are some of the most efficient planing boats you'll ever find and are awesome sea boats, especially riding out in beam seas which is a common course and also great at crossing wicked breaking bars both going out and coming back. The big flared bow makes for a dry ride. Really the only thing that sucks is they gave up their keels for downsea performance. So when you fuck up in the channel (during the pre dawn rat race), it can been ugly and expensive. Before the world discovered Carolina boats and boat building generally got crazy expensive, a lot of these guys were owner operators who built their own rigs during the off season. The rat race and the high cost of living has mostly done away with that. Now most of the boats are too big, too fast and too expensive for anyone to really run a profitable business charter boating. Nowadays either someone else owns the boat or the captain has some other means of making it. As one of my friends says, "you need a wife with a good job if you're going to be a charter boat captain today." And his boat is long since paid for...

pugsley

Captain
yeah, either owned by someone else, or a large corp looking for a tax write off, and a ready to go boat when the big wigs want to go fishing

petrel

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
56' DMR, 31' BHM
It's sure not like it used to be. The world is changing and much of it is not for the better. Of course all the boats at the Fishing Center have to charge the same rate, so that makes it even harder for someone w/ a smaller more sensible boat to compete. The 56 to 60 foot boats are going to get booked first just about every time. And the guy with the old forty some foot long Sportsman boat, immaculate as it may be, will have to take what he can get.

Top Bottom