Outfitting my bilge with pumps

Toolate

Admiral
First Name
Ben
Boat Make
1998 36' Sabre Express CAT 3116TA's, 2015 ROS Scotia 16 Etec 50
So starting from scratch.

This is what I am thinking. Was going to get a Rule 750 and mount it beow the shaft as the first line of defense- probably be on a board mounted to the deck that reaches down into the bilge so I can retrieve it for cleaning/service when needed. Then was going to get a diaphragm pump and mount it as low as possible but it will have a remote intake strainer so I can use it to suck the bilge dry. This would also be set to run on a high(er) float with an alarm wired in to act as high water alarm. Thought I would use a diaphragm because they can be run dry as far as I know.

Only other thought I have is that I could use the diaphragm pump to also pump a shower drain sump for the occasional shower (would need a couple valves to make this work obviously). This is just a random thought and probably easier to just set that up totally separate.

Thoughts on this and recommendations on pumps? Also need an alarm and I am not sure if I should just wire this into the higher pump/float or get a separate high water alarm panel of some sort. I am on a budget though and cant believe how much a bilge pump costs. Simpler is bettter.

Curmudgeon

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
44' Stanley, 40 Webbers Cove, 19 Ocean Pointer
I wouldn't use a bilge pump for any use other than the bilge pump. If a valve gets knocked open or closed no more bilge pump. My last boat had a separate float switch for the alarm located between the float switches for my 2 pumps. Present boat has the alarm connected to the higher pump and the lower pump is a smart pump. Both setups worked well for me. I'm very happy with the smart pump. Never used a diaphragm pump.

Toolate

Admiral
First Name
Ben
Boat Make
So 3 float switches and 2 pumps?

What kind of floats? Boat will be on a mooring so not looking to run my batteries dead by cycling my pumps on and off all day.

WHat did you use for a high water alarm?

Brooksie

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Bruno-Stillman 35
So 3 float switches and 2 pumps?

What kind of floats? Boat will be on a mooring so not looking to run my batteries dead by cycling my pumps on and off all day.

WHat did you use for a high water alarm?

The electronic switches I have had either don't go on because of oil or soap in the bilge, or they stay on because wet dog hair or something on them. You are better off with a cheap Rule switch if you don't mind wires in the bilge.

But this may be the best switch ever, I have 2 each over 20 years old, no wires in the bilge.

GROCO MARINE PRODUCTS

Curmudgeon

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
44' Stanley, 40 Webbers Cove, 19 Ocean Pointer
Yes my last boat had 3 switches and 2 pumps. Present boat has 1 switch for bigger pump and the alarm and the smart pump low. I used a rule high water alarm in both boats (light and buzzer).

Toolate

Admiral
First Name
Ben
Boat Make
Yes my last boat had 3 switches and 2 pumps. Present boat has 1 switch for bigger pump and the alarm and the smart pump low. I used a rule high water alarm in both boats (light and buzzer).

Thinking I will have 2 wired floats for both pumps- just have 2 though and use the diaphragm pump as my backup/bilge sucker and wire the alarm to that.

Toolate

Admiral
First Name
Ben
Boat Make
The electronic switches I have had either don't go on because of oil or soap in the bilge, or they stay on because wet dog hair or something on them. You are better off with a cheap Rule switch if you don't mind wires in the bilge.

But this may be the best switch ever, I have 2 each over 20 years old, no wires in the bilge.

GROCO MARINE PRODUCTS

This one? Interesting but they are $50. The little tube never fills with gunk and stops working?

image.jpg

captainlarry84

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
KristenFormer Charter Captain
I like three pumps. The shower pump as shown is very key. It sit up nice & high & the pick-up tube goes all the way back into the bottom of the keel so every drop of water gets removed. I keep this pump as a manual unit. In front of that pump I jam a small square rule500 pump into the keel. This pump has an automatic switch on it. Lastly in front of the motor goes the large rule 1.5 3700 pump also manual, you can see the white top of the pump in the second photo.

Picture 4893a.jpg

Picture 4902s.jpg

traditions

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
38 Holland
Larry.do you have a cutlass behind that dripless?I don't in my boat and I cant believe it works.I will be adding one this winter .I have almost the same pump set up,only all rule bilge pumps.I like the diaphragm type,I wonder if it will pass lobster bands?I have the aotu about 6 inches above the bottom,so it only comes on if some thing is leaking.Its hard to find a aotu switch that doesn't stick or cycle.I like the ultimate,but they will cycle if you have any run of hose,and check valves are no good in the winter.

captainlarry84

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
KristenFormer Charter Captain
No only one cutlass at the propeller end of the wet tube. Placing a cutlass bearing directly behind the dipless and so close to the gear is not a good idea. Getting ailments within spec will be very hard with a bearing that does not allow the shaft to float a little. In addition with that much support so close the couple. The shaft will work hard at the coupler end. It could knee the metal shaft and cause a break at the coupler. There is no need for a bearing on both ends of a wet tube or in fact even a wet keel. A big NO NO.

Brooksie

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Bruno-Stillman 35
This one? Interesting but they are $50. The little tube never fills with gunk and stops working?

Thats the GROCO one I was talking about above... Best damn switch ever, "cheap at twice the price"

No the tube never gets plugged, water does ot go up the tube, only air. Water rises in the "bell" at the bottom. The diaphragm switch is the same as in your clothes or dishwasher, foolproof. You can't do better.

Toolate

Admiral
First Name
Ben
Boat Make
I like three pumps. The shower pump as shown is very key. It sit up nice & high & the pick-up tube goes all the way back into the bottom of the keel so every drop of water gets removed. I keep this pump as a manual unit. In front of that pump I jam a small square rule500 pump into the keel. This pump has an automatic switch on it. Lastly in front of the motor goes the large rule 1.5 3700 pump also manual, you can see the white top of the pump in the second photo.

Does it really get the bilge dry (not dry obv but all the water) or is there always a little water that leaks back down once the vacuum is lost on the suction side? Never seen one of these operate.

Thanks for the pictures. Still havent given up on the idea of using the suction pump do go dual purpose for my shower sump.

Roy-c

Commander
Don't cheap out on bilge pumps. A bilge pump is a bilge pump and when you need one nothing else will do. Diaphragm pumps are great but are not high volume which is what you want in a secondary bilge pump. I had a propshaft catastrophe in a 41' Hatteras and three electric bilge pumps would not have saved the boat. You can lose 50% or more due to lift. Fortunately I had bilge suctions on the engine cooling pumps. A 2" jabsco pump will pump a hell of a lot of water and that is what saved the boat. It is really simple to install a tee and valve after the seacock and a suction hose and strainer (most important) into the bilge. I would not leave home without it. You can buy a kit that is a sump and automatic pump for the shower drain. Your boat is worth a hell of a lot more than a couple of pumps.

Top Bottom