Over the side swim ladder?

lindse8707

Ensign
Hi all, looking for some advice on any foldable compact over the side swim ladders that anyone might be using or have experience with?

We have a trolling mount on our new to us boat and don't have the stern space to mount a swim ladder this season. We might look into swapping out the mount next season for a ladder but looking for a folding compact over the side swim ladder for this season for our Eastern 24 Lobster.

Any recommendations on an over the side style would be appreciated!

7571516_20200912033941506_1_XLARGE.jpg

Magician

Lieutenant
I think Garelick made one that is removable with a stainless mount (roughly 3"x6"), I've never had one but looked pretty slick with minimal intrusion when not using it.

Raider Ronnie

Vice Admiral
Lite User
Website
www.bostonharborcharters.com
Boat Make
33 Flowers.

Cool Boat

Commander
We have used the rope with solid step and solid with J hook types on small boats but if you had some space on starboard transom, I'd highly recommend a three step folding stainless steel one. We installed them on our yacht tenders and even folks in their 70's would use them for snorkeling etc. You will also be steadier boarding the boat from the transom rather than rolling it on its side. We also installed a nice stainless grab rail about a foot forward of the transom to give the person using the ladder a good grip when coming up the ladder. If you needed a picture I will have to dig one up.

Captn' Spalding

Lieutenant
First Name
Adam
Boat Make
1976 Unknown Novi Skiff
Id love a pic. I need to install something this summer on my skiff.

hardydanger

Lieutenant
we had one of these...just ok...fine for getting back aboard, but not ideal, takes some dexterity to use. only real plus is how small it can stow.

1618878419821.png

Captn' Spalding

Lieutenant
First Name
Adam
Boat Make
1976 Unknown Novi Skiff
That is pretty much what i have been on the lookout for. Thanks for the pic!

MAArcher

Rear Admiral
If you have a transducer on the starboard side but want to put a ladder there, one like this will clear it and also offer the easiest use:

And looking at the one in Cool Boats pic, that seams like a big step, from the top of the ladder over the transom. If you have short/kids or older people who would need to use it, and you don't want a platform, something like this might work better:

Captn' Spalding

Lieutenant
First Name
Adam
Boat Make
1976 Unknown Novi Skiff
you're welcome
By any chance do you know the make of that ladder. I like how it folds up very tight. Most of what I have found bump out a bit and I dont want it to interfere with the outboard or cause unnecessary drag

Cool Boat

Commander
By any chance do you know the make of that ladder. I like how it folds up very tight. Most of what I have found bump out a bit and I dont want it to interfere with the outboard or cause unnecessary drag
The one on the skiff was from Sea-Dog marine products. It is offered in 3 or 4 step. Garelick also offers a similar one, and we used that on our trawler. If you go to Sea-Dog website just type LADDER in the search box. I do note that the Garelick was on the trawler for over twenty years and still looked good. For all I know they could be made by the same factory.

Top Bottom