Eric
Boat Make
Shelter Island 38
Last edited by a moderator:

petrel

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
56' DMR, 31' BHM
I guess a rope under the stern would be too ghetto for that vessel. Have you tried it?

OLD BAY

Rear Admiral
Lite User
First Name
Eric
Boat Make
Shelter Island 38

Chum Pot

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
Parker
At first I thought I might see a nice mermaid shot with the title of this post. :wink:
Did you have a fully belly of fuel in this picture?
I find my Parker is ass heavy too, but can tab and tilt OB to perfect the ride. When fully loaded the tabs are just a part of life especially when slowing down. I would investigate if any weighting in the boat is causing this, could any item batteries, gens, water/fuel tanks)that is adding weight be moved forward. You might also investigate having fixed planing tabs installed, or investigate props as they can really effect lifting the stern. Do you have 3 blades or four blades I agree she is riding up and she is a beautiful boat.

PS: please tell me more about the rope around the stern technique

OLD BAY

Rear Admiral
Lite User
First Name
Eric
Boat Make
Shelter Island 38

jerseysportfisher

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Bertram 33SF
on the boats we have done it on, planning hulls. It tells us if tabs are worth while. I can;t see it being different on a de.

have you thought about stern rails

here's an ugly picture but will give you an idea

foxsea-stern-closeup-600.jpg

You might get better results with lifting the ass up on its own, then forcing the ass up with tabs.

also weight displacment, you could try moving more weight up front, see if that helps.

different prop, with LESS rake will bring the bow down as well

OLD BAY

Rear Admiral
Lite User
First Name
Eric
Boat Make
Shelter Island 38

OLD BAY

Rear Admiral
Lite User
First Name
Eric
Boat Make
Shelter Island 38

BillD

Admiral
Portsmouth NH, boating out of the mighty Merrimack
Boat Make
25 Terry Jason with Cummins 370 power
Thanks for the comments. The stern is pretty light, I moved everything I could ahead of the engine (batteries, fresh water tank and storage in the bow. She has no generator. This photo is with 1/2-2/3 full fuel tanks, but they straddle the engine.

The prop is 4-bladed.
Thanks for the compliment on the boat, she is a member of the family. We brought her back from decades of neglect.

A very pretty pretty boat. As a family member you gotta keep her off the "auction block" !;)

Couple of comments.

1. I spoke with the owner of a 29 H&H DE boat with 440 Yanmar power. He "had" a similar problem with the bow of his boat riding high when he put the power to her. The boat was built with full length lifting rails. The 2nd season he had her he installed "stern rails" (not sure if like jersey suggested). The rails "solved the problem". QL tabs would have done the same.

2. The helm placement on your beauty causes much of the problem. You are simply "too far back" on the elevated plain. Not much you can do about that.

I'd try the stern rails.

FWIW, (and it's not much) :D

Bill D

Top Bottom