Paint Questions

Tunascapes

Commander
Ok lead in: I know this is a stupid question I just am second guessing myself.

When mixing 2 part paints and the directions say thin by 10% volume, what does this mean?

GoodChance

Lieutenant Commander
Fitst Team ....... 10% of 10oz would be just 1 additional ounce not 2 ounces. Although I am not going to enter a discussion on the differences between mass and volume ........:p

So Tuna ..... just mix 5oz of part A with 5oz of part B then add 1 oz of thinner. But if you want to follow the directions, lets keep everything in volume......... so add 250mL of part A with 250mL of Part B for a total volume of 500mL then add 10% of thinner or an additional 50mL. Mix everything up really well.

The thinner allows the paint to "flow" easily off the brush and eliminates any brush marks as the paint dries.

Last edited:

Tunascapes

Commander
Thanks guys. That's where I was for mixing. It's flowing out And leveling unreal. I'm very happy with it. It's drying to the touch no problem just not super hard yet. I have a few down days now so it should be fine when I get back to it.

Tunascapes

Commander
Definitely doing two coats. There are very few imperfections amazingly but I still need to sand. I was thinking it might not sand well until it was harder. Just moved it inside for the night and today being low 70s really helped.

Will wet sanding be better between coats for some lubrication?

GoodChance

Lieutenant Commander
No Tuna .... just light hand-sand with 320 grit. No need to wet sand. Just take the "gloss" off the 1st coat, remove all the dust and then hit it with a 2nd coat.

Top Bottom