? Painting Bottom- Zodia ALU

WA1KPD

Ensign
First Name
Carl
Good morning. I just picked up a lightly used Zodiac with the hard aluminum hull. No bottom paint.
It will be used in the water of midcoast Maine and I want to paint the bottom. I picked up some ablative copper-free antifouling bottom paint. The paint instructions are aimed at prepping a bare aluminum hull. The Zodiac has a hard white finish of some sort. The manual and a web search are not providing any guidance as to how to prep the bottom finish for painting. I am thinking just a light sanding. Does anyone know what I should do?
Thanks
Carl

ArchHibb

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Five Islands 35 w/Cat 3116

Genius

Admiral
First Name
David
Boat Make
32 Morse Cove
what bottom paint did you get? I'd go with an epoxy primer from the same company to bond it to the coating on the hull already. For example, I'd scuff with a 3M purple pad, wipe/wash with solvent rag, Interprotec HS, following directions when it is tack dry, apply Pacifica Plus. The epoxy primer will help adhere the bottom paint to the coating already applied.

Pitou

Commander
First Name
Kevin
Boat Make
'06 Albin 31 TE
what bottom paint did you get? I'd go with an epoxy primer from the same company to bond it to the coating on the hull already. For example, I'd scuff with a 3M purple pad, wipe/wash with solvent rag, Interprotec HS, following directions when it is tack dry, apply Pacifica Plus. The epoxy primer will help adhere the bottom paint to the coating already applied.
The process you've described is exactly how Monahan Marine in Weymouth prepped and bottom painted my new Highfield Aluminum RIB this past spring.

Benny

Lieutenant Commander
Is the boat going to live in the water? A lot of those ablative paints have a really soft cured surface, trailering or shuffling it around out of water is gonna beat it up pretty bad.

From what I’ve been told you also have to be careful with how long some of those paints can be out of the water. Some may require sand and red oat after 60 days dry.

I had a total boats ablative that was very very sensitive to scratching, scuffing etc. on top of that, when I’d wash the boat the slightest touch to the bottom paint with a sponge smeared black onto the the gel coat, drove me nuts.

Top Bottom