Painting Engine Mounts?

TCL

Captain
Boat Make
Sabre 36 The Captain's Lady
My engine mounts have light amounts of rust so I want to paint them. With out removing them.

Lots of nooks and crannies so I'll never be able to get them totally free of rust.

Any advice on products and procedures would be appreciated.

jwalka51

Captain
Boat Make
26' Webber Cove lobster boat.
POR-15 paint system. Just google it. The stuff is bullet proof commercial grade. good luck

Toolate

Admiral
First Name
Ben
Boat Make
1998 36' Sabre Express CAT 3116TA's, 2015 ROS Scotia 16 Etec 50
POR-15 paint system. Just google it. The stuff is bullet proof commercial grade. good luck

Will that stuff prevent any adjustment in the future on a mount? Its a sticky gummy paint if I recall correctly. Can you remove it a little with a wire brush if you need to turn a nut or bolt? Not sure how hard it is.

Old Mud

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
Don
Boat Make
Ho Made

jwalka51

Captain
Boat Make
26' Webber Cove lobster boat.
It is not sticky at all. As a matter of fact it dries hard as a rock. I would not put it on the threads. You will never get it off. But I do not see an issue with painting the rest of the mount with it. As far as the threads go you can get a product called chain wax that will seal moisture out of the threads. Its basically an aerosol wax that dries semi hard. It can be removed when needed. They sell it for motorcycle and industrial chains.

Keelboater

Admiral
Boat Make
35' Bruno & Stillman
TL, You could also use Rust encapsulator from Eastwood. I have been using that stuff for a few years and it really does what it claims. I use the red just because it's a contrast and you can see any difference with time. I use it as a primer on my underwater gear, undercoating my car, calipers , primer on the hauler etc.

Eastwood has some great products that are a bit unique, and right at home on a boat.

F/V First Team

Admiral
Website
www.otisenterprisesmarine.com
Boat Make
Northern Bay 36 - Modified
We did something with POR15, maybe a helm? I forget what exactly but since there was some extra left on the brush I smeared it on a c-clamp that had a rough life (forgotten outside by someone who borrowed it for a year) and it has held on nicely even when banged around in the shop. Good stuff, totally not for threads or pieces that need to come apart or move. Some vasilene on those bits and seams and you should be able to cover everything and still work on it when the time comes, you wind up breaking the coating at the greased junction.

That chain wax sounds interesting though, I'll look into that for sure.

TCL

Captain
Boat Make
Sabre 36 The Captain's Lady
Thanks for all the replies and great information.

I have used AMSOIL MP HD with good results, it is similar to chain wax.

Also Boeing Boeshield T9 seems to be a good product but is a bit pricy, WD40 is probably just as good.

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
Used kel kote on a steel boat trailer, 15 years on trailer no rust. Great stuff.
boat on trailer forward side shot.jpg

Kel-Kote Formula 206 is a high build, highly abrasive, resistant coating formulated for long term corrosion mitigation of industrial structures and equipment.

Gloss: Flat. Color: Black Recommended Thickness: 12 MDFT Practical Coverage: 50 square feet per gallon. Reducer: Airless Spray: None required using Kel-Kote application equipment. If necessary, use water not to exceed 15% by volume. Pot Life: Unlimited. Dry Time: 4 hours at 60ºF, humidity 40%. Topcoating: When a color coat is desireable, use Kel-Kote Formula 105 or Kel-Kote Formula 104. Surface preparation: Substrate must be free of all oil and loose paint. Sandblast to SSPC-SPC-6- 63T, Grey Metal Commercial Grade. Prime with Kel-Kote Formula 100. Packaging: Five gallon pails. 55 gallon drums available. Weight per gallon: 11 pounds. Flash Point: None. Mixing: Mix thoroughly to a homogenous state. Solids By Volume: 56%. Application: Spray, brush or roller. Clean Up: Clean water. Caution: Protect from freezing.

boat on trailer forward side shot.jpg

Top Bottom