parker 25 vs a downeaster

pennh2o

Lieutenant Commander
How are you guys. My dad and I are throwing around the idea of buying a downeaster somewhere between 28 and 32 feet. We currently run a 25 foot parker with a outboard. The only reason why we want a downeaster is because we want a boat that can handle moderate to rough seas. How is the ride of a 25 parker compared to a downeaster that 28 to 32 feet.

googinhater

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
38 yb. f/v wildlife
Wow your asking a night and day qwesting a de will kick a parkers ass in weater no pounding much more boat in the water

Mobeach

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
28' Seaworthy BHM
I owned a Parker DV Sport Cabin for 15 years and bought a 28' Seaworthy (BHM) end of last season. There is no comparison, softer ride, no pounding, more stable on the drift. You may give up some speed, as I now cruise at 16-17 kts, but the comfort blows away the Parker.

pennh2o

Lieutenant Commander
Mobeach, how many mpg do you get while cruising? What engine do you have?

When comparing the 25 parker and 28 BHM, are you able to go out in rough seas with the BHM that you would not go out on with the 25 parker?

I'm happy with my parker, but there are many days in november and december where I dont go fishin because of the weather. Do you think a 28 BHM will help me go out more often during the year

Surfishingboy

Commander
I went from a 25 Parker Dv to a 28 bhm, now to a 31 bhm. Once you make the switch there's no turning back!

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
You'll be able to go anytime you want to with the DE:rolleyes: just remember the boats usually come back, its the guys on deck that don't !!

captchuck

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
26' Seaway
The de platform will be dramatically larger as well. I'm in a 26 seaway and the guy next to me has a 23 Parker and there's no comparison in the size of the boats.
One thing I would keep in mind is how far you normally run when selecting a Downeast. The change can feel be dramatic time wise if have a long run daily and go with a slower de.

El Mar

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
Bryan
Boat Make
43 Tiara Open DDEC, GradyWhite 226, 18 Donzi Classic, 15 Boston Whaler Sport ETec 60

Roy-c

Commander
El Mar is correct on both points. You are comparing apples to oranges. We have a 19' Ocean Pointer that does 30 plus knots and a 44 Stanley that is a 10 knot cruise. A quick Striped Bass trip on a nice day is custom made for the Pointer but the Stanley will haul lobster gear in 25 knot winds, not beat you up and bring everyone home safe. You need to decide what type of use you will put the boat to most often and what the trade offs will be for each type. On the one hand you have a faster cruise, possibly more economical upkeep and maintenance with the Parker and on the other hand a more stable but slower ride in the DE.
DIFFERENCES ARE WHAT MAKES THE WORLD GO ROUND

blackdiamond296

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
Alan Johnson 28 w/ 260 Yanmar
Parker v DE

Did you hear about the DE that ran over the Parker? Guy ran right over it and never even knew it happened!

...sorry, just saw the name of the topic and couldn't help myself.

In all seriousness though- we went from a Wellcraft back in the day to a Fortier- its like going from doing kids stuff to stepping up with the grown ups! Hard to think you'd be disappointed with this sort of move.

El Mar

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
Bryan
Boat Make
43 Tiara Open DDEC, GradyWhite 226, 18 Donzi Classic, 15 Boston Whaler Sport ETec 60

pennh2o

Lieutenant Commander
First I want to thank you guys for your helpful responses

I will be using the boat for fishing, probably logging somewhere around 250-300 hours per year

As of now, all of my fishing is inshore. I usually run any where from 8 to 16 miles from the marina.

I have a few more questions regarding how these boats handle. In a head sea I hear the same from everyone, that the de is very solid and doesn't pound as compared to my 25 parker.

What about in a following sea and beam sea. Sometimes with a bad following sea, you lose control of the boat for a couple seconds, I'm sure you guys know what I mean. Does this happen with a de as well?

blackdiamond296

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
Alan Johnson 28 w/ 260 Yanmar
When you get your first experience in a New England sleigh ride (DE in a following sea), you will probably question your decision. Each DE will handle a following sea differently but my feeling is that once you learn the handling characteristics of a particular boat you're able to anticipate and correct for its negative tendencies. Ultimately IMO it will still be a more comfortable ride.

After my first summer handling a soft chine DE I still have some figuring out to do in a followng quarter sea, but it's still worth it!

Last edited:

tunamojo

Rear Admiral
Lite User
Website
Www.wickedweasel.com
Boat Make
Holland 32

pennh2o

Lieutenant Commander
If I was to buy a used downeaster, I would be looking at something between 28 to 32 feet. Remember, I'm not a commercial pot fisherman, I will not be carrying heavy loads, I'm primarily fishing inshore. I'd like to get something that is fuel economical: 3 mpg if possible. Something that cruises as 17/18 knots. And a boat that will keep me as comfortable as possible in rough seas.

What do you guys recommend?

Top Bottom