Penny S to BARBARIAN II just bought it

badger

Lieutenant
Glad I found this site. I have so many questions about Downeast boats.
I live in California I Fish the San Francisco bay every day I can.
Dont worry not a drop of funny man blood in me. The only ferrys I know are the ones that leave a big wake while Im halibut fishing.
Recently you may have seen the big expensive sail boats flipping over on the news. I fish those waters weekly as a commercial halibut fisherman and a 6-pack captain. San Francisco has some mean winds and outside we have Four Fathoms bank. BAd stuff! 20-40 knot winds and 5-7 knot currents uposing that wind and swell from north or south depending on the flavor of the day.
Running home is always a challenge as the wind builds most days and after fishing all day you are faced with a 5 mile sand bar that comes up to 25 feet from 150ft the wind I talked about and swell.
I just bought a Jc31 1984 from a good friend who used it for dungenous crab fishing. Currently we are ripping it apart . Getting all the crab gear off the boat and preping for a 6 pack boat that will need to beat up the chop and Fourfathoms bank daily.
DE's havent been used like this on the West Coast but Im seeing more of them. Im not sure why. I hope I made the right choice. Im in love with this boat and hope it suits my needs. Had a 24 foot Skagit Orca I literally grew out of.
Judging from what I have read here, Ill like it beating down bay chop but may have some concerns in following seas . 15 foot following seas is pretty common hear. I see some guys complaining about 3-4 foot chop on the east coast.
Im going to make this work but if You have some big water tricks that might help let me hear it. How is this thing going to drift? bow first or sideways? Any comments are welcome. Heres some pixs

justboughtthisboat.jpg

barbarianenginecat3208T.jpg

Boat pix1.jpg

boatbottom2.jpg

boat bottom1.jpg

Last edited:

El Mar

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
Bryan
Boat Make
43 Tiara Open DDEC, GradyWhite 226, 18 Donzi Classic, 15 Boston Whaler Sport ETec 60

badger

Lieutenant
Didnt like the bridge Just a bunch of corroded stuff up there. Its going to get more stainless railing and some flat for electronics.

petrel

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
56' DMR, 31' BHM
25 foot bar? That's pretty deep compared to here.

MDI45

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
45MDI /28WB
Didnt like the bridge Just a bunch of corroded stuff up there. Its going to get more stainless railing and some flat for electronics.
Good Luck........is she a inspected boat....with the rails around?

badger

Lieutenant

Uninspected, We need the railing for the rod holders and also to keep the people in the boat. We dont fish with our rods in the air unless we are tuna fishing.

badger

Lieutenant

That 3208 looks quite fresh?

New exaust cooler and fresh paint . She fires up great runs good . Has 7900 hours on it. If I can run her for 2 years in a commercial app. I could get Carl Moyer program to pay for 80% of the motor & sometimes tranny.

For now shes solid but I havent really ran her hard yet.

badger

Lieutenant
25 foot bar? That's pretty deep compared to here.

Its not that youll bottom out. The entire SF Bay Delta ( 1/2 dozen major rivers)comes through an opening about 2 miles wide the current from that combined with wind and swell makes for some pretty troubled waters. They call it the potato patch.

Last edited:

petrel

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
56' DMR, 31' BHM
I'm sure it's rough as shit; I'm just busting your balls b/c our inlets are shallow enough to get closed out in swell like you guys get all the time. I was out to Bodega Bay a couple of years ago and the swell was 14 feet- no problem to get offshore. 14 feet in Hatteras- no go.

badger

Lieutenant
Its been some time since I have posted . I have been working all summer on this thing and I am as close to done as I have ever been.
Really nothing like buying an older boat. Working out the problems is part of the game. You take it out and run it. Then fix the problems as they arise.
I am impressed with this boat for so many reasons. The feel of bashing through head on seas is fun . Yea shes a little squirly on the following seas but totally manageable. The 13-16 knot cruise is a little nerve racking but comfortable. Most recent issues have been dealt with. Pumps , Alternator belts, the belt configuration (3208T), a leak on the steering hydraulic cylinder(Seals and pitted shaft).
Shes a little loud at 24-2700 rpms, a little smoky after we idle for extended periods but most impressive was the 40 gallon run to and from arch rock. 50 miles round trip
I played with the winch yesterday and honestly I don't for-see and issues with pulling the anchor. Radar antenna will be mounted hopefully this week.
Its been hard work but the effort is rewarded buy a wet but handsome deck.

Before and after photo and my Big ass hydraulic windlass

mywindlass.jpg

justboughtthisboat.jpg

Toprailing and radar mount.jpg

BARBARIAN II evolution.jpg

petrel

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
56' DMR, 31' BHM
2700? Not for long I hope. Most people I've known who depend on them don't run those engines (3208 T) over 2400 except for an emergency.

badger

Lieutenant
2700? Not for long I hope. Most people I've known who depend on them don't run those engines (3208 T) over 2400 except for an emergency.

Why 2400?
2400 is comfortable but the boat seems to like 2700 . WOT is 3000. I thought I was going easy at 2700.
Ill slow her down.....
Thanks

manni-yunk

Commander
Why 2400?
2400 is comfortable but the boat seems to like 2700 . WOT is 3000. I thought I was going easy at 2700.
Ill slow her down.....
Thanks

3208 is typically rated for 2800 max RPMs - but most people prop them to hit between 2850 and 3050 as a reserve in case of weight. Is your 3000 load or no load WOT?

If they are 270 - 320 HP, I wouldnt worry about running at 2700, especially if you are propped for 3000 (assuming you meant 3k loaded, as opposed to 3000 no load - testing at the dock)

If they are more, which would make them TA, then I would back it off to 2400-2500.

petrel

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
56' DMR, 31' BHM
3000 rpms is way under-wheeled or maybe your tach reads a couple hundred high. Whatever the case, sounds like you're actually 300 turns off the top, so maybe not as good as being 400 off, but that engine's not working too hard at 320 hp or whatever. What I said was based on 2800 WOT, which is what it should be loaded. In my mind 2700 was 100 off the top for that engine, which is "run it like you stole it" speed. Your JC is probably just starting to hit her stride when you punch her up to "2700" so I can see where she would "like it" as you say. My DMR likes 2200 rpms, but 671 turbos don't last long wound that tight (even if I could afford the fuel.) Need more horses there.

badger

Lieutenant
Yes we do have a turbo and 7300 hrs . When I ran the 50 miles the other day I was carrying 7 big guys one full strboard tank an 1/2 full port side tank and a 50 gallon bait tank full. At 2700 rpm we were cruising at 15.7 knots in a flat ocean. The engine was at idling when not running from spot to spot we burnt around 50 gallons. Can I really get more out of this boat?

Top Bottom