Personal Locator beacons

Discussion in 'Marine Electrical / Electronics' started by Henry, Dec 2, 2018.

1. Henry

Henry Senior Member

None!
    Boat Make:
    Duffy 31
    I am looking for a personal locator beacon as I often boat alone. Does anyone have any experience or comments on either the Ocean Signal PLB1 or the ACR Electronics ResQLink+buoyant ? The are comparably priced and seem to both provide the same function. The only difference I can see is that the PLB1 is slightly smaller and has a 7 yr battery life as opposed to the ACR battery life of 5 years.
    Any thoughts would be appreciated.

2. Genius

Genius Captain

We use the Spinklock deck vests on the pilot boat with the MOB1 PLB. Great gear, tested often and preforms and holds up great.
    rescueME AIS MOB1 - Spinlock

Edit: guess it's not a GPS PLB, but an AIS beacon.

3. Keelboater

Keelboater Captain

Boat Make:
    35' Bruno & Stillman
    I suppose unless you've actually needed to use one of these, it's all a matter of opinion. I do have an ACR ResQLink unit that I hope will work if the need ever arises.

4. JimRP31

JimRP31 Captain

Sales
    Boat Make:
    Willis Beal/RP 31
  5. Skeetsdad

Skeetsdad Senior Member

Boat Make:
    28 Carolina Classic, 34 Webbers Cove
    Hi Henry,

Im curious how you would use the PLB while youre alone on the boat? Are you going to wear it all day? I have a Resqlink PLB. I keep it in a ditch bag with some other stuff like a hand held VHF. My thought being if there is ever an issue I grab a life jacket and the ditch bag. Of course, this is all useless if I fell overboard while out alone. The PLB unit is a little bit too big to wear all day in my opinion. If you boat alone you should consider a MOB shut off. The device will shut your engine down if you go overboard as long as your wearing the transponder which is pretty small. Once the transponder gets a certain distance from the boat, the engine shuts down.

Toolate likes this.
  6. steveinak

steveinak Captain

Boat Make:
    H&H / Pen Bay
    I store my PLB in a rack right at the top of my split house door, that way if the shit hits the fan and i need it quick i can just reach up and grab it. I also have a large bungee cord loop attached to the plb, my thinking there is i can just sling the loop over my head and under one arm so it stays with me without holding it.
    DSCN6975.JPG DSCN6976.JPG

ErikT likes this.
  7. Henry

Henry Senior Member

None!
    Boat Make:
    Duffy 31
    I wear an inflatable vest when alone on the boat and I thought I could attach the PLB to it. I haven’t studied the issue closely yet but will be visiting my electronics store next week since no-one saw fit to give me a PLB for Christmas!
    The problem with a MOB remote cutoff is two things: by the time the boat stops it could be several hundred yards away - too far to swim and with any breeze or tide the boat will drift faster than you can swim with clothes and a vest on unless you are Michael Phelps!
    The surest way to survive if overboard when alone is to be able to float and to alert rescue units like USCG or Marine Police ASAP to your exact position.
    In my opinion the chance of another boater who is not looking for you seeing you in the water in a timely fashion is slim to none. Proof of this is throw a gallon bottle tied to a float cushion overboard, look away from it for about 30 seconds and then try to find it. Almost impossible in any kind of sea and current.
    Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

8. steveinak

steveinak Captain

Boat Make:
    H&H / Pen Bay
  9. Toolate

Toolate Captain

Building contractor
    Boat Make:
    1998 36' Sabre Express CAT 3116TA's, 2015 ROS Scotia 16 Etec 50
    I have to say I fish with both and don’t like to publicly disagree with anyone but the remote cutoffs are so small and easy to carry that I just cant see an argument against it. Sure the boat could be far away but if that is all you got then its better than nothing.

99% of the time I remember I have the fob in my pocket when I get in my truck after the trip if that says anything.

I run and ACR and just put it in a vest pocket so its on me. If shit really hits the fan I cant imagine I would really remember it. Biggest fear for me is getting a big hole in my boat in the early morning (hit something submerged while planing) in spring and having it sink out from under me in a minute or 2 when the water is below 50 degrees. Actually going to get a small cheap life raft I am so paranoid lol.

10. Henry

Henry Senior Member

None!
    Boat Make:
    Duffy 31
    Steveinak:
    I have a float coat and it is great but but during the summer on the Chesapeake it can be 90* with a water temp of 75* or higher and a coat is too hot so I use an inflatable vest which is cooler. Still trying to figue out which PLB is best

11. bettylovesfishing

bettylovesfishing Member

I had a ACR Rescue link for five years until the recommended battery replacement came due. A new battery is relatively expensive compared to the cost of the unit so buying a whole new unit after 5 years makes more sense to me if your going with that.
    I never bought another one because it was to bulky to keep on my person and work in. Beside the boat has an epirb and I am usually with crew.
    But one thing of most importance is to keep it registered with the USCG with all your updated information on the application they provide.