Philly Clad?????

jwalka51

Captain
Boat Make
26' Webber Cove lobster boat.
Thinking about doing the deck on the new lobster boat with philly clad. Dont really have any experience with it. Havnt ever even seen it as a matter of fact, But I hear that it is great. Have any of you commercial guys used it?? Or know someone who has??? Is it really as good as I hear it is??

WoundUpMarine

Admiral
Lite User
Website
www.woundupmarine.com
First Name
John
Boat Make
26' Duffy, 23' Seaway, 14' Holland

oldshell55

Captain
Boat Make
BHM36 , 38’ young bros ,
I've used it and a friend has since the 70's great product, several different grades, some used on aircraft carriers, good enough for them!,

as with everything, prep is key or the bond will fail, if done correctly it will last for years

it is now called American safety technologies, available through sherwinn Williams, over $100 per gallon

there are different colors and agragates available , I will look to see which I used

good luck

Last edited:

jwalka51

Captain
Boat Make
I would be interested to hear what you come up with. Im also curious what it is like. Is it soft and rubbery with grit in it?? kinda like bed liner?? or is it hard. Does it go on thick?? thanks in advance

oldshell55

Captain
Boat Make
BHM36 , 38’ young bros ,
Philadelphia resins (philly clad) was bought by Sherwinn Williams, that is why the name change (American safety technologies) and place of availability

it is epoxy based hard finished goes on thick (per instructions can't remember the exact thickness) with a short hair phenolic roller and in my experience is a two man job. one keeps stirring , while the other applies

available in one gallon cans ( I think fives also ) you mix the whole gallon with the catylist no partial's, so have a place to put the excess, why waste it

31 footer , probably need two gallons to be safe

don't put it on thicker than instructions say or it will crack

my friend I mentioned uses it on a large party boat with a lot of traffic, it holds up well

Last edited:

traditions

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
38 Holland
We just did a 36 BHM with gallon kits,because we couldn't get a 5 gallon bucket soon enough,and we used 6 kits.The gallon kits don't cover shit. I did my 38 Holland with a five gallon kit,and had left over. The newer stuff is easier to work with as far a mixing, but I have found you want it fairly warm for it to cure. It doesn't cure as fast as the old stuff,and stays rubbery for a couple days,so you cant walk on it. Did I mention that it stinks? Respirator is a must.

Pedlyr

Captain
Used it on the Dragger I was on. Held up great if you took care of it. We used to put big rubber mats under the trawl doors. If you put a crease or divot in it water would get under. You shouldn't have a problem like that. A lot less weight than deck/bridge tiles. A lot cooler in the summer too.

33youngbrothers

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
33' YB
I commercial lobster so I needed something with good grip. Went with philly clad and am happy I did. Had it for 3 years know and still looks good. Used 5 gallons on my 33 footer. Had a helper mix/dump the gallons and I rolled it out with a foam roller. Smell is bad and lasts for a couple of days.

phillyclad.jpg

jwalka51

Captain
Boat Make
I also will be using it on a lobster boat. I have an open stern and concrete runners so the deck will be taking alot of abuse. Is that pic after three years or right after you installed it?? Can you tell me where you got it?? I cant seem to find it??

33youngbrothers

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
33' YB
I also will be using it on a lobster boat. I have an open stern and concrete runners so the deck will be taking alot of abuse. Is that pic after three years or right after you installed it?? Can you tell me where you got it?? I cant seem to find it??

Right after it dried. Got it at Sherman Williams, think it's called as250 by American safety. If you've got concrete runners I would suggest deck mats. You'll be wearing through the Philly clad pretty fast.

Mat Ergomarine 1/2"" Black 4'X6' 3"" Interlock Edge

oldshell55

Captain
Boat Make
BHM36 , 38’ young bros ,

definitely need mats

Top Bottom