Pics and info on downeast trailers

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
I'll answer for Steve! LOL He won't be up for another four hours. That's Whittier, the boat is a 29H&H. Pretty impressive boat with a tremendous keel by the looks of it! I'm sure Steve will chime in and tell you more, awesome functional Rig both boat and trailer.
Sez my one time crewman

20151128_083829.jpg

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
Nice how far forward they put the axles, tongue weight must have been just right. I need to make some keel guides for my trailer, make it a little easier to do it solo.
trailer also had a 7ft extendable tongue so i never had to get more than the tires in the water to launch/retrieve the boat. I made some guide blocks out of 2x8's to center the keel when i powered the boat on to the trailer.

scbob

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
Provincial 42 "Spanish Wells"
Thanks guys for posting these pics !!!!!
I need / want to do quite a bit of work on my Provincial 42. So I really want to bring it home. I'm about 4 hours up I 26 from Charleston, SC. I got 2 quotes of $9,000 each way. Crazy money.
So I was thinking..........
Boats about 12' overall height, with everything stripped off.
42' long, 13' wide and about 24,000 lbs dry.
Was originally thinking of copying one of those hydraulic trailers, with the center open, but the axles / suspension gets very complicated.
So seeing what you guys have done gives me some ideas.
If I use 3 - 10,000 lb axles, and 235/75R17.5 tires, I can carry the weight, with a bunch of weight on the tongue. I'm thinking of hiring a mobile home truck to move it.
If I used regular trailer axles and springs, the top of the axle is about 20" high, which makes the boat very high.
I see you used Torflex Gurryman, so that helped you get the weight down.
Could you please give me a couple of details Gurryman, to help me figure mine out, please ?
What axles did you use ?
Did you keep to 8, 6" overall width ?
What's the boat please ?
What is size of the channel side members ?
However did you bent them so neatly ?
Thanks for the help.
Bob

WestFerryTN

Ensign
Boat Make
Seaway 21 Coastal Hardtop
There are some really nice big trailers that have been posted. On the other end of the spectrum, I have been really happy with my LoadRite 5 Starr aluminum for my 21 Seaway. It has a set of target bunks(a bit tough to see) toward the bow that do an excellent job of catching the forefoot of the boat and straightening the boat up on the trailer with my botched approaches. It makes me look like I know what I am doing. Seaway.jpg

CLeiter

Ensign
First Name
Carol
Boat Make
Helms 24’
We had ours custom made by Triad Trailers in the Carolinas (can’t remember which one). Came very highly recommended and they did not let us down. They delivered to marina.

Gurryman

Rear Admiral
First Name
Mark
Boat Make
Nauset 28
Thanks guys for posting these pics !!!!!
I need / want to do quite a bit of work on my Provincial 42. So I really want to bring it home. I'm about 4 hours up I 26 from Charleston, SC. I got 2 quotes of $9,000 each way. Crazy money.
So I was thinking..........
Boats about 12' overall height, with everything stripped off.
42' long, 13' wide and about 24,000 lbs dry.
Was originally thinking of copying one of those hydraulic trailers, with the center open, but the axles / suspension gets very complicated.
So seeing what you guys have done gives me some ideas.
If I use 3 - 10,000 lb axles, and 235/75R17.5 tires, I can carry the weight, with a bunch of weight on the tongue. I'm thinking of hiring a mobile home truck to move it.
If I used regular trailer axles and springs, the top of the axle is about 20" high, which makes the boat very high.
I see you used Torflex Gurryman, so that helped you get the weight down.
Could you please give me a couple of details Gurryman, to help me figure mine out, please ?
What axles did you use ?
Did you keep to 8, 6" overall width ?
What's the boat please ?
What is size of the channel side members ?
However did you bent them so neatly ?
Thanks for the help.
Bob
Axles were supplied by Rockwell American 7000 lb each with 13" disc brakes on all 3 axles, Electric over hydraulic actuator.
Overall trailer width is 8'6",
Channel is 8" with a 1/4" web. I elected to use I-beam cross members rather than channel used by many builders.
Siderails were cold bent using hydraulics and blocking. Frame is within 1/32"
Keel is just over 12" off the ground when loaded on trailer.
Boat is a Nauset 28, 10'8" beam
completed trailer weighs 3550 ls.
Total cost to build, Material, components, axles, tires, hydraulics and galvanizing, was just under $7500 in 2013 That price was excluding labor.

scbob

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
Thanks Gurryman, that's great info.
That was a lot of money back then , but a bargain by today's standards.

I did some pricing on what I'm looking at:
3 - 10,000 lb Torflex axles, inc 235/75R17.5 tires and wheels = $12,000
Would need 10" channel. The cross members would need to be 4" thick wall tube to carry the weight without being too thick.
I've estimated total material costs at about $16,000.
It would be quite the project, and hopefully have some resale value.
And I don't think my eyes are good enough to keep anything within 1/32" anymore, not to mention talent !!!
Thanks again,
Bob

Dslpwr

Captain
Boat Make
35' Mitchell Cove, 13’ Whaler
Steve, 29 H&H looks good on the trailer, I’ve seen bigger boats being towed that didn’t even have a wide load sign, obviously they were illegal.
Powder
See it all the time around here. They think 10’ is Oversize. I tell them 8’6” is legal limits. If anything bad ever happens I wouldn’t want be them the lawyers would have a field day

winterking

Captain
Lite User
First Name
Tom
Boat Make
26’ Duffy

scbob

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
Really want to do some major work on it:
- redo kitchen cabinets
- bow thruster
- smaller shade cover over cockpit
- small flybridge
and a few other smaller jobs.
The boat is currently at a great hurricane hole in Belhaven, NC; about 7 hours from home.
I extended my barn with enough headroom for the boat.
Trying to figure out best way to get boat home, 4 hours from Charleston on I26.
I certainly couldn't tow this thing behind my Pinto. LOL
Bob

IMG_2702.JPG

Gurryman

Rear Admiral
First Name
Mark
Boat Make
Nauset 28
Consider this, If you build a trailer yourself, You would be hard pressed to find a reputable hauler that would haul it for you. Most carriers would not risk the hassel of an equipment failure on a home built trailer. I guess it depends on your ability to produce a high quality product. Just something to consider.
When I built the trailer for the Nauset, it was with the intention of trailering every time I used it. I did that for 3 and a half seasons. Now I soak in Fairhaven Harbor and just launch and retrieve seasonally and for mid summer maintenance.

winterking

Captain
Lite User
First Name
Tom
Boat Make
26’ Duffy
Last edited:

winterking

Captain
Lite User
First Name
Tom
Boat Make
26’ Duffy

scbob

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
Good point Gurryman. My thoughts were to make contact with a local mobile home toter and get his input on the trailer before going ahead. Discuss things like tongue weight, costs etc. Another option would be a 5500 dually, with a fifth wheel. But I'm thinking a mobile home guy would have all the insurances etc.

I do some fab work myself, and have some good welder friends, so I'm confident in the finished result, thanks.
These boat projects would take quite a while, and I really want to be home doing them. I need to run the "build a trailer trapline" a bit further before I come to a decision.

Regarding the name - one of previous owners came off a sailboat.

My wife hated the name, especially after we had the tanks sucked out and the guy said "You really are Sheetless now" !!

So searching for a new name - came up with "Spanish Wells".
That's a little island in the Bahamas where we had our honeymoon - all say Ahhhhhhh .

Also, Spanish Wells is the lobster capital of the Bahamas, where most of the fishing is based.

Bob

gmac

Commander
On the gooseneck trailer for Flowers I had the 40ft flatbed and modified it to work. Had 3 - 7k axles. Not enough for your boat. But main structure,axles, ect were orginal.
I think it's easier and cheaper then starting for scratch. (Galv trailer for Portsmouth I build from scratch like Gurryman) I haven't look at but might be worth a look at a 40 ft+ dually gooseneck, can be found with 15k axles. The dual wheels do bring in the main beams which might cause issues and will probably have to move the axles forward. Also it's not considered "homebuild" for registration etc.
Just another idea to look at...

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
It was in fabrication last week should be this coming week some time. We had to renew passports so we’re waiting on that too....
This virus has everything messed up. I hope we can get on the road in sept but we’ll see. Called a barge company in Seattle thinking that might be an option but they wanted 12k for boat and truck and we don’t even get a boat ride! We’ve just resolved ourselves to the fact it’s out of our control and if we have to stay this winter, I’ll go grind fiberglass with Steve on his new bhm!
did you check on the state ferry ?

scbob

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
Thanks again GMAC,
Overall height is a big issue for me, so that's the attraction of using Torflex axles. I gain about 8" to 10".
The big cost is for the axles though.
3 - 10,000 lb Torflex axles = $9,600 ( you need "Extreme duty" ones for triples).
3 - 10,000 lb axles & springs = $3,500.

Just saw a 40 ft gooseneck, rated at 26,000 lbs for $15,500. A very good looking trailer, but it weighed 10,000 lb, so only 16,000 lb payload. It had 13,000 lb axles.

I estimate I can build this trailer at less than 7,000 lbs, with 3 - 10,000 lb axles.
From what I've read, you need about 20% to 25% of the load on the gooseneck hitch, or tow vehicle.
So 25,000 lb boat + 7,000 lb trailer = 32,000 lbs.
So 7,000 lbs on the tow hitch, that's 25,000 lbs on the trailer.
That's 8,300 lb on each axle, if I can load boat in the right place.
I may have to find a way to weigh load on hitch to make sure boat is loaded in right place.

All ideas at this stage - a lot more thinking to do yet.... Thanks for all the very constructive input.
Bob

Top Bottom