Pics of my truck(s). Just cause

Bill

Founder
Boat Make
27 Terry Jason
I bought it at Ron Bouchard Chrystler Ram in Fitchburg MA. I searched all over the North East looking for a left over. This was the only one I could find that met my needs. The sticker price was $44,725, but it was listed at $37k, and then they had a "sale price" of $35k. I'm not convinced this dealer has better prices than any other dealer, they just happened to have a left over that fit my needs, I think that's why it worked out in my favor. But I will say the buying process here, though still painful, it was a much better experience than I have had anywhere else. The truck didn't have a receiver hitch on it, I was able to negotiate including one into the deal.

I was going to buy a slightly used truck, but the used car market is through the roof right now; as an effect of COVID the supply and demand for used cars was very high, as the new car manufacturers had shut down production. They are selling used trucks for pennies below the price of new. For that reason i wanted to go new. Now that the car manufacturers are ramping back up, and expected to be back to normal by the end of 4th quarter, it is expected that there will be a used car market crash by the end of December, into early next year. Also contributing, there are hundreds of thousands of lease cars that were not turned in during the pandemic due to dealers being shut down. All these cars will soon hit the used car market. When the unemployment stimulus stops it is predicted that car repos will go through the roof; these cars will enter the used car market. On top of that, because people aren't traveling as much, the big rental car companies are dumping their fleets. Hundreds of thousands of used cars are about to flood the market, which will cause prices to come down. If you want to buy a slightly used car, i suggest waiting until the end of the year or early next year.
Nice Stu actually that is all a good call I didn’t think of any of that. So you were able to get him down a good amount . I was looking at a left over Chevy the other night . Wasn’t sure what I could get them down to.

CaseyMarie

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
Blue Seas, Boston Whaler
I'm no expert, but here's how I like to negotiate a deal. First; If you are trading your car in, don't tell them that. Lie through your teeth if they ask you if you are trading. Treat the trade as a separate transaction, because really it is a separate transaction. If you tell them you have a trade, they will try to "sea-saw" you. Meaning, if they come down on the price of the new car, they will low ball you on your trade. Or if you tell them you want X for your trade, then they will be much firmer with the price of the new car. Look up the trade in value of your car before going in. Places like Carvana will make you an online cash offer for your car, good for 7 days without even seeing it. they will even come pick up your trade at your house. Do that on their website so you have a baseline of what you CAN get for your trade. At the end of the negotiating, when you bring up your trade; If the dealer wont give you enough for your trade, you can show them that Carvana offered you X, and they need to match. The dealer will also ask you if you will putting any cash down. Lets say you want to put $5k down, and you want $5k for your trade. Lie to them and tell them you will put $10k cash down. Now the numbers will be close, so they can calculate figures without telling them you want to trade.

Second; don't tell them what your target payment is. If you do they will just try to arrange a deal that fits your payment but sell you the car for the max amount of money. Tell them you want to negotiate the total price of the vehicle. Once you get the car price to where you want it, then you can start looking at what the payment figures look like. Before going to the dealer use an online auto loan calculator to figure out what you need to get the price down to, to fit your targeted payment.

So once you have the vehicle price where you want it, and you are ok with the payments, now you can say, "just out of curiosity, what would you give me for car?". They will low ball you, there will have to be some more awkward back and forth. Ideally you are doing this directly with the sales manager, not the salesman. It will just speed up the process. And now is when you can say "Carvana offered me X, you have to match that offer". In my deal they came up and were $100 under the Carvana offer, that was good enough for me. So i said "Ok, this all looks good, but you have to do something else to close me, you have to throw in a trailer hitch, and the molded mud flaps". He reluctantly did. I wanted to take the truck the same day, so i said you don't even have to install them, just give them to me, i will install. The most satisfying part of the deal was once we agreed, they said do you want a box to clean out your truck? I said, Nope, its all cleaned out and handed them the keys. They were very surprised, It was at that point they realized i had been planning to trade it in the entire time, haha.

Bill

Founder
Boat Make
27 Terry Jason
Lots of Ram support on here I like it. Never owned one but like the 2500 tradesman with steel wheels

WoundUpMarine

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
John
Boat Make
26' Duffy, 23' Seaway, 14' Holland

harpoon83

Lieutenant Commander
I am on my second ram 1500. In the Rams you get the most features for your dollar. They are certainly not a work horse, but in my last 1500, i had 1 ton of pellets in the back and it did just fine.

My latest truck has spoiled me, heated and cooled seats, and a heated steering wheel, if you don't have those..its life changing.

The Hemi has tons of power and it rides like a car on the highway.

Ms.Aimee

Captain
Xbskt, i assume those are not stock size bulkhead bilco doors, is it custom built? Just curious why its bumped out like that, is it a ramp? Cool truck!

xbskt

Rear Admiral
First Name
Jeff
Boat Make
28 Crowley Beal
Xbskt, i assume those are not stock size bulkhead bilco doors, is it custom built? Just curious why its bumped out like that, is it a ramp? Cool truck!
It's custom. Bilco's rot out in about 5 years out here. You'll get maybe ten out of the custom cedar unit if someone doesn't lose a door in the wind.
It is extended to make it easier for the caretaker to get the teak deck furniture into the ten foot basement.

Haddock

Commander
First Name
Mike
Boat Make
23' Maritime Marine Voyageur
I am on my second ram 1500. In the Rams you get the most features for your dollar. They are certainly not a work horse, but in my last 1500, i had 1 ton of pellets in the back and it did just fine.

My latest truck has spoiled me, heated and cooled seats, and a heated steering wheel, if you don't have those..its life changing.

The Hemi has tons of power and it rides like a car on the highway.
No massaging with the heated/cooled seats? My F150 Crew Cab Platinum has all of them and my wife just found out the massaging function after 3 years :) The new Dodge Rams have really focused on the creature comforts and design o the interior.

PatriciaLynn

Captain
Boat Make
Repco
I took a new job back in 2018. A perk of the job was that they put me in a full size 1/2ton pickup. Well, we missed the buy window in '18, so they put me in rental trucks for all of '18-early '19. I drive about 50k/yr so I got to test them all out. Silverado, f150, dodge 1500, ford f250, ford f350, dodge 2500, etc. Ford f150 was by far my favorite. Fast forward to today and I have a four door, long bed 5.0l f150. Thing is awesome. Fits the whole family or all the boys. Can fit 20 traps in the back. Tows anything I would want to tow. 19mpg of "spirited" driving. Real close to perfect.

DotRat

Commander
Boat Make
Row Boat
So I bought a brand new Ram 1500 Classic. I feel like I got a good deal, its a 2019 left over, I had to travel a bit to find it. Full crew cab, V8, 4x4, limited slip rear end with the 3.92 gears, Express package, power windows/locks, back up camera, AC, cruise, tilt wheel, class 4 hitch. $30,911. Its so comfortable compared to my heavy duty Silverado. Way more power too. This will be a comfy rig to haul my family and my little Whaler to Florida.

View attachment 91948

View attachment 91949

View attachment 91950

View attachment 91951
You got a great deal. I just did the same thing a couple of months ago with a brand new 2019 leftover dodge grand caravan. List was 28 we got it for 21 and are very happy Enjoy the truck!

WoundUpMarine

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
John
Boat Make
26' Duffy, 23' Seaway, 14' Holland
Top Bottom