Pipe Berths

jim

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
44 John Williams (stanley)
Does anyone have pipe berths in their rig instead of a vee berth?

I have spent months at a time on Navy ships, fished offshore on two boats and owned a wooden lobster boat that had pipe berths and IMO they are the most comfortable and safest bunks both underway and on the hook. Getting into and out of the PBs with a load on is another story!

The boat I am buying has a real tight focsle/cuddy. Cutting out the vee berth and installing pipe berths that can fold up and out of the way when not in use would open up space for a galley down and maybe a shower.

If anyone has some pics or ideas they can share of pipe berths with a galley down Id appreciate it. I looked alot online and all I see is sailboats with the PBs. Sittin around thinking of all the work I have to do to this boat and the fact I cant touch it until July is KILLING me. Thanks. Jim

jim

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Top is a pipe berth

Top one is a pipe berth

pb.jpg

jim

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Galvanized pipe or aluminum frame with canvas strung in the center...sort of a stiff hammock that sags a little when you lay in it. Great in a sea

jim

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Hell Travis the shape Im in these days I was wondering if I should use steel IBeams

Badlatitude

Rear Admiral
Co extra comfy Jim. You don't know 1 berth per man if you are fishing. Hell even with 4 berths I spent more time sitting on the wheel house floor back against the bulkhead looking out the back door watching rods/taking cat naps than in a bunk last year. :lol:

Big full V in the bow and a day bunk in the house!

Last edited:

Flying Finn

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
Sisu
My grandfather's 32' had pipe upper bunks, spent many, many nights in one. The frame was 1-1/4" galv. with canvas laced in with grommets, just like a t-top. They had 1/4" wire rope on both ends with snap hooks that clipped onto small eye-bolts fixed on the carlings. He even had 3" foam cut to fit the canvas and my grandmother sewed covers on. Very comfortable. They were hinged on the outboard sides so they could be raised when not in use. We doubled the wire rope over the eye-bolts and snapped around the frame to keep them up. The lower bunks were built in and doubled as seating for the removable folding table in the center of the cabin floor. Just had to be careful and not sit up straight if you woke up in the middle of the night. Ouch!

Reactions: jim

jim

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Finn that sounds about the same as my wooden lobster boat. They were comfortable while running or at anchor. I hate trying to get a cat nap in a vee berth while runnin out to the canyon. Feels like youre airborne half the time. Pipe bunk you dont move.

Bad...when fishin IF I sleep it will be in the wheelhouse day bunk but when runnin to the grounds with the two mates in the house I go below and those pipe bunks beat a vee but more important is they fold up which will give me some room for a small galley. It dont matter this year cause I wont have time to do shit other than add my greenstick and outriggers and head out!

Toolate

Admiral
First Name
Ben
Boat Make
1998 36' Sabre Express CAT 3116TA's, 2015 ROS Scotia 16 Etec 50
Old boat I had used to have an arrangement like the pic you posted but instead of folding down, the bunk was the back of a "couch" of sorts that folded up- hinges on the top of the back panel of the couch. Couch was 6'3" long and back was about 30" high so the upper rack was 30 x 6'3" and the lower was much wider when the top was up because it extended all the way to the hull which was about a foot or so behind your back when sitting.

No pics.

jim

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Too late Ive seen that set up in a sail boat and looks comfortable and functional but I need both bunks to fold up and out of the way in order to squeeze in a galley. Both bunks on the same side of the focsle, one above and one below. When folded it will allow enough room to use the galley.

Bad this summer Im staying with the vee bunk. Im not getting the boat until July and I need to get the stick, outriggers, rod holders and some more basics on there and be out in time for big eye. After tuna season(Dec)its straight down to Fla for sword so I may have a vee berth and eating cold food for a long time. Fla is day boat so not bad at all. Up here three/four day trips with no kind of galley gets old. As long as we are puttin fish on the deck the little creature comforts dont mean shit. Ill stick a microwave in a corner somewhere and call it a galley. Done!

Badlatitude

Rear Admiral
Propane magna grill with rod holder mount. I bet if you threw a pizza stone in there it'd be an oven :wink:, Electric griddle (best for monster breakfast!) , coleman propane camp stove, microwave

With those you can make anything

jim

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Too bad the boat doesnt still have the dry stack...stick a can of soup on that thing for 15 minutes and dinner is served. Eatin hot meals is the least of my worries. Ill stick with what I know an Irish seven course meal...a six pack and a potato!

jim

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Thanks EZTBone thats what Im lookin for. Would like two on the same side one above another and when folded up out of the way opens up cabin for a useable galley.

Top Bottom