Pipe dope or teflon tape? ??

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
What should i use on the pipe thread fittings on the solenoid? ? Guy at the hydro shop says use teflon tape cause it won't void warrenty on the solenoid. OK let me have it your opinions. Anyone ever used the Rectorseal blue pipe dope says its for high vibration use so thought it should be good around the engine??
solenoid.jpg

solenoid 2.jpg

solenoid.jpg

solenoid 2.jpg

Last edited:

F/V First Team

Admiral
Website
www.otisenterprisesmarine.com
Boat Make
Northern Bay 36 - Modified
I prefer Blue Magic myself, toughlove (teflon) tape only when specified or when that's the only thing there is.

16534p.jpg

I imagine your Rectorseal is similar

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
i can't find any of that stuff around here so thats why i thought the Rectorseal goop might work.

BillD

Admiral
Portsmouth NH, boating out of the mighty Merrimack
Boat Make
25 Terry Jason with Cummins 370 power
know anything about the blue version Bill ?

No clue.

I use #5 on all my oil connection threads, water and coolant.

Hose to pipe connection is excellent especially if you need to "get a hose off" tears later.

#5 is "soft set"...doesn't allow the hose to become "one" with the metal.

MDI45

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
45MDI /28WB
Steve,I used Teflon tape and never had a problem.....iam sure the blue stuff is great...but don't drive yourself nuts....use what you have

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
Steve,I used Teflon tape and never had a problem.....iam sure the blue stuff is great...but don't drive yourself nuts....use what you have

I think your right Mike, all i ever used was tape and the gear kept working & no leaks. I'll call John at Marine Hydros in the morning and see what he says just to further drive myself nuts !!

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM

I think your right Mike, all i ever used was tape and the gear kept working & no leaks. I'll call John at Marine Hydros in the morning and see what he says just to further drive myself nuts !!

CEShawn

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
Downeastless
Blue Leak Lock... Used it for a decade now. Can buy it in a small tube as well. I pick it up in New Bedford everytime I am there.

Pedlyr

Captain
I use blue all the time on hydraulics. On the pipe threads. I also recommend red "hyd Loc" for the JIC fittings. It is red Loctite that a drop or two on the nose helps to seal.

I just make sure to keep all sealants out of the inside of the fitting/ pipe/hose. Biggest problem I have is when threading pipe or flaring tubing and keeping the line clean.

Old Mud

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
Don
Boat Make
Ho Made

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
Spoke with John at Marine hydros in Rockland today, he says 3 wraps of tape on the pipe threads so thats what i'm going with. He also said to keep everything super clean !!

Website
www.boatsteeringrebuilders.com
Boat Make
Mako 211 Tunnel Hull Bay Boat
steveinak,
All I use here in the shop is a LocTite product #567. The full LocTite p/n is 56747. It comes in a 1.69 o.z. tube. It is expensive, but lasts a long time. One tube lasts me over a month in a busy production rebuild shop. I have used it in past years on GE Steam turbine lines and in many other critical applications. It is a white thread sealant PST with PTFE. After you apply it, it will take a light "set" after about an hour . There is one application that I use it on regularly. The pipe fitting is only screwed in 2 1/2 turns due to interferring factors that cannot be avoided. It is the ONLY product that I have found that works in this application. As for tape, it is good to have for an emergency. Fittings can "unwind" with the tape due to it being so slick. Also alot of folks will wrap the tape around the end of the fitting to get the best seal. This allows the possibility of some of the tape cutting loose from the joint and getting into the system inside. I was taught to always apply the liquid sealant "2 threads back" from the end of the fitting. Upon installation, the liquid sealant will not enter the system, yet still provide a good seal. I get it at Grainger. Just my 2 cents. Good Luck,
Butch

tailhook

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
31 JC
I second boat steering on the Loctite, All I use, it will also prevent galling on dissimilar metals

Top Bottom