Pitts Clutch

scallywag

Captain
Boat Make
25'general marine
I have a bad Pitts clutch on my Gresen Hydraulic Pump. Talked to Coastal Hydraulics, they have the Real Mccoy or a chineese replacement copyed to the exact specs. for almost 200.00 less. Trying to make a decsion. Anybody have any experience or advice would be appreciated.

WoundUpMarine

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
John
Boat Make
26' Duffy, 23' Seaway, 14' Holland

scallywag

Captain
Boat Make
25'general marine
I agree with you guys, but when the largest distributor of Pitts says they had these built for them and there ok it makes you wonder. Anyway thats why I asked. I appreciate the opinion and you may both be right, I have not made my mind up yet. I will call and interogate them again. I'm suprised that nobody on this sight has experaince with Pitts clutches and Greson pumps. They were the old school standbys in the 80's from what I was told. I would like to know what people are using for there hydrolic pullers now. Mine is for a helm operated anchor windless.
By the way when i pulled the old clutch off there is still a sticker on the inside that says made in Japan and I pretty positive it's an origanal Pitts.

pugsley

Captain
I have a shaft driven pitts clutch, it has 15k hours on it, it is used mostly crab potting, but also sink net dredge oysters and crabs. it has been absolutely trouble free.

pugsley

Captain
25 gpm pump off the PTO on the transmission, with a 9 gpm power steering pump piggy backed off that. No belts to chafe, no jack shaft whirling around dangerously, no alignment issues ever.

Works for me :D

do you have a clutch on they hydros? i was going to convert to that route, the adapter thingy for my zf is $$$$. and as it turns out i wouldn't have room for a pump anyhow, the motor was put in with a shoe horn

traditions

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
38 Holland
Is the replacement a Ogura clutch? They have been around for quite some time. People tend to call them all Pitts clutches,when a lot of times they are a Wagner clutch.I replaced a Wagner on my old boat with a 200 ft.# Ogura 10 or so years ago and it worked fine.I used it pretty hard doing 1200 or so hrs a year lobstering and using it scalloping in the winter.Ogura is what Marine Hydraulics sells now I believe.

scallywag

Captain
Boat Make
25'general marine
Thanks for the responses. I'm going to try talking to some other sources like Marine Hydraulics and Rose Marine to see what they have to say.Anyone with another Hydraulics source the've had good experience with would be welcome.

F/V First Team

Admiral
Website
www.otisenterprisesmarine.com
Boat Make
Northern Bay 36 - Modified
No clutch, just a diverter valve when I don't need the hauler running. Goes through a cooler so it doesn't heat up, although in the days before the cooler it was nice cooking a family pack of burritos on top of the tank for those cold miserable days and when you're steaming to a race. Get there and enjoy a piping hot meal when everyone else is shivering and pitching a bitch trying to get their coffee pot working.

Top Bottom