Plascore Butt Joint

Maineiac

Lieutenant
Boat Make
'82 General Marine 19'
I’m making a hardtop for my skiff. The top is to be 60" x 96". I need to join two 4 x 8 plascore (nida) panels end to end, in a butt joint. How should I go about this?

seth

fordy

Commander
Need a mold or use peel ply over the joint to get it really flat

Cool Boat

Commander
There are a couple of glass guys around here (middle Chesapeake) who make tops of various sizes. They have large curved molds they lay them up in. To get a really great looking unit I'd whip up a quick mold like Fordy noted, hardboard or such, waxed, and or PVA (poly vinyl alcohol). You could use weights or some version of a vacuum bag for the bond up. Poly and a good shop vac has been used in a pinch for a one off, like the Kelsall sailboats (should be on YouTube). We have never tapered the nida at seams, just used butt seams. (we do taper Coosa seams) The layup strength is from the separation of the glass skins so as long as you have a good bond from each skin to the nida, you should be good. Maybe look around, see if anyone up your way has a top-mold you can rent or pay them to do the basic lay up. If you can see yourself making another top for something else later, and you have some storage maybe making up a quick mold is a better idea.

Top Bottom