Platform Hatches

chortle

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Herreshoff Coquina, 1972 Jarvis Newman 36, PT11
I have been considering putting in a couple of hatches in the platform under the pilothouse so that I have easy access to the top of the fuel tank connections. ABYC recommends this and it makes sense to me but I don't want to spend half a boat unit on each hatch. Anything less than that seems to be made out of a flimsy plastic. Anyone have experience with this? I am looking for something approximately 12"x12" or 12"x18" overall/net opening. The platform is paint over epoxy over 3/4" plywood. It is in an area of the pilothouse where it will be stepped on regularly. The metal hatches are also hot on bare feet in the Chesapeake summer sun. Any input would be helpful. Some examples that I have seen are from Bowmar, Starboard, Jim Black, Heatercraft and an unknown plastic molded version. All are $75-$300 depending on the build.

Bowmar plastic hatch.JPG

starboard deck hatch.jpg

jim black molded deck hatch.jpg

heatercraft aluminum deck hatch.jpg

plastic hatch.jpg

Lion's Paw

Lieutenant Commander
Website
www.divehatteras.com
Boat Make
42 Duffy
Unless you really need that big rectangular access you will be far better off using a circular bronze access port. I have several in the deck for access to the tank fills and connections that are abut 8" or so in diameter and completely watertight. Those plastic slam hatches will be causing you problems in short time if they are being walked on. If you do need a big hatch, then bite the bullet and get something tuff enough to take the abuse and stay watertight.

Keelboater

Admiral
Boat Make
35' Bruno & Stillman
I second Lion's Paw reply. I have a deck to replace because of plastic ones installed by previous owners. Junk.

Top Bottom