Please educate me on the Wilbur 34 cruiser

JoeD

Lieutenant
Ok guys, I’ve been doing a lot of reading on these boats but have yet to find information on their overall ride, i.e. drifting stability, head sea, following sea, average cruising speed/HP ratio etc.

I like their layout and looks…quite frankly, I think I’d look good driving on of those hot looking round bun babes :D

I know for a fact that this site has many experts willing to share their experience based feedback, so I’d appreciate any information on these DE boats.

Thanks in advance
Joe

JoeD

Lieutenant
Joe,

Hey guys,
The Wilbur 34 I'm leaning about has a Cat 3208 with 4000 plus hours.
The dealer can't find info about the gear ratio, however he gave me a little detail:

Quote: Cruise is 12-14 and top end 17 on a good day.

Trans is twin disc model W34373
Do not know ratio
24LH 22.75 5 blade bronze
Shaft 1.5"
End quote

For a 34 foot boat with a CAT 3208 375HP, isn't a 1.5" shaft a bit small in diameter?

Also, can one assume this boats propeller is too small or the gear ratio/prop combo not aggressive enough, making this a slow boat?

Guys, please help me buy or walkaway from this Downeast.

Thanks a bunch

Joe

Thanks again

Joe

chortle

Captain
Boat Make
Herreshoff Coquina, 1972 Jarvis Newman 36, PT11
I don't have a lot of direct experience with Wilburs, only know they by reputation and comments from owners. Probably not a lot of Wilbur owners on this site, if there were I am sure someone would have replied. If you have a specific boat in mind and post the details via a link to the listing you might get a few more comments.

They are generally well regarded for the timeframe in which they were built. A newer style downeast will be wider abeam for a similar length and faster.

Have you spoken with the builder? Sometimes they keep track of boats that they have made or just happen to know of a certain boat or the series of boats built from a general time frame.

A good local surveyor might also be familiar with the boat you are looking at or similar Wilburs that they have surveyed in the past and give you some free pointers/advice in anticipation of being hired for the survey.

Wilbur Yachts - Our Boats - Wilbur 34'

tunafishhkg

Captain
Boat Make
35 Duffy
Joe,

!.5 shaft is on the small side for 375HP and would be worse if 2-1 ratio trans but with no info, hard to tell, plus the w34373 is not the model # for TD which standard on the 3208 should be 506 or 507 if twin disc. Got to be careful when brokers do not know or give accurate info especially trans model that should be doable for a competent broker. Now a wild guess by prop size, might be 1.5 to 1 ratio at 375HP if it reached rated 2800RPM but again wild guess. Have you done a sea trial? If you do and there are no tags on the trans, you can use a hand digital tach on engine and shaft to come up with a reasonable ratio. We need more info to help, Pics might help to identify trans and engine room pics will help to check exhaust syst that is just as important.

DM_PNW

Lieutenant
The best $50 I have spent on my boat for a while has been a subscription to Boatdiesel.com. The prop and shaft calculators there may give you some good insights. Shaft may be too small, but that depends on what its made of. Also, contacting a local prop shop for their opinions would be worthwhile. Looks like the prop may be wrong, too big, but again many other factors to correctly determine the answer. I'd find a reputable local prop shop before deciding one way or another. Sorry for the non-answer.

creecher

Lieutenant
I have one for sale cat c9 td 507 1.77-1 , 2 inch shaft , 24 by 28 prop , tops out 23

JoeD

Lieutenant
Thanks guys,

Unfortunately, the boat is on the hard in MD and the broker's not one of the most cooperative guys out there, its like pulling teeth so all I know is what I've posted.

Late Capt. Larry suggested a 24"x24" prop and a minimum of 1.75" shaft for that boat w/375 HP.

The boat has a 5 blade 24 LHX22.75 Bronze prop.
I agree, its hard to tell w/o the ratio factor whether this boat is under or over propped.

Thanks for the tips guys , I appreciate it.

Joe

Top Bottom