PNW Newbie needs advice on a 30' Downeast boat

mattkling

Ensign
My wife and I are looking to transition from the world of sailing to a smaller power boat. We are drawn to the lines of the classic Monks and Chris Crafts we have here in the PNW, but are worried about the cost of maintenance on an old wood boat, and not being able to take them off the lake into Puget Sound. The lines of Downeast boats really appeal to us as well, but of course we don't have a ton to choose from here in the PNW. We plan to use the boat mostly for entertaining on the lake, but would like to be able to cruise overnight with just the 2 of us.

Ideally, we are looking for something in the 30' range that can sleep 2 (keeping in mind I am 6'3"). A small kitchenette and a head are a must. The bigger the deck the better. Speed is no concern as we are used to moving at less that 7 knots. I am thinking I would prefer a single screw diesel for simplicity sake. Would like to stay under $60K if we can, but could spend a bit more for the right boat. Looks like these east coast boats can be shipped out here for around $5K so that is a possibility.

Wondering what you all would recommend I look at? Any other advice?

Last edited:

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
My wife and I are looking to transition from the world of sailing to a smaller power boat. We are drawn to the lines of the classic Monks and Chris Crafts we have here in the PNW, but are worried about the cost of maintenance on an old wood boat, and not being able to take them off the lake into Puget Sound. The lines of Downeast boats really appeal to us as well, but of course we don't have a ton to choose from here in the PNW. We plan to use the boat mostly for entertaining on the lake, but would like to be able to cruise overnight with just the 2 of us.

Ideally, we are looking for something in the 30' range that can sleep 2 (keeping in mind I am 6'3"). A small kitchenette and a head are a must. The bigger the deck the better. Speed is no concern as we are used to moving at less that 7 knots. I am thinking I would prefer a single screw diesel for simplicity sake. Would like to stay under $60K if we can, but could spend a bit more for the right boat. Looks like these east coast boats can be shipped out here for around $5K so that is a possibility.

Wondering what you all would recommend I look at? Any other advice?

I think your budget is a little tight for what your looking for and i know for sure you won't get a boat to Seattle for 5K unless you tow it yourself. I may be towing my 29 H&H from Seattle to the east coast next year so if all goes well maybe we could work out something for me to tow one back to Seattle on our way home back to alaska. By the way the trailer you'll need for the job is going to cost you aprox 10K (new).

mattkling

Ensign
Thanks for the info and the offer! We are looking at this Dyer 29 this weekend to see if something like this would fit the bill. The $5K shipping quote was just what Yachtworld was quoting on some boats in the NE.

nickyp

Captain
Boat Make
20ft dyer
My boss has a dyer29
It actually looks identical to the one you are checking out
He loves it
There are quite a few dyer fans here.
Best of luck

OLD BAY

Captain
Lite User
First Name
Eric
Boat Make
Shelter Island 38

Teaserhead

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
1990 Flye Pt. 32 BHM
We bought a 31 BHM in march and she is moored in Bellingham. If you are up this way I'd be happy to show her off!! Our search for a DE boat was defenatly a learning experience, and I would be more than willing to help in your search. We have been cruising and fishing the San Juan's every chance we get, and couldn't be happier with the boat! Perfect boat for our area. No regrets here! PM me, we can chat. We made some really good connections during our search, be happy to share them with you. One of the best things you have done so far is to join this forum btw, lots of good DE knowledge here! Good to see more PNW interest

guitarman

Commander
Boat Make
Dyer 29 Hardtop
We've been cruising the inside passage for about ten years from Seattle to Prince Rupert in a number of deep v hulls, and I fell in love with the downeast hull because of the smooth ride and the way they go across the straits of Georgia in rough water and the way they go through Johnstones Straights with the wind coming in from the west stacking the waves. they are so smooth that you can't believe it .

Hooper

Captain
Welcome to the forum. The Seaworthy 28 is an excellent DE boat worthy of a hard look. I owned one and it will take anything thrown at it. The Terry Jason 28 is another boat to look at, maybe more fishy than you might want though.

Regarding shipping, I would call a few reputable boat haulers to get accurate pricing.

Last edited:

mtp

Ensign
Inboard versus outboard

we are in the same boat (sorry for the pun) as folks from seattle. Looking now at DE boats in the 25-30 length for use in Maine. Getting differing advice from builders and owners about merits of diesel inboard versus one of the new gas outboards. We want reliable and quiet and do not need a high top speed. We much prefer the lines on a boat with an inboard, but are told the diesel inboard, while efficient and reliable, will inevitably be louder, will cost more money both for engine and for needed sound work and that the newer 4 stroke outboards have closed the gap on reliability and are definitely quieter. Any advice?

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
we are in the same boat (sorry for the pun) as folks from seattle. Looking now at DE boats in the 25-30 length for use in Maine. Getting differing advice from builders and owners about merits of diesel inboard versus one of the new gas outboards. We want reliable and quiet and do not need a high top speed. We much prefer the lines on a boat with an inboard, but are told the diesel inboard, while efficient and reliable, will inevitably be louder, will cost more money both for engine and for needed sound work and that the newer 4 stroke outboards have closed the gap on reliability and are definitely quieter. Any advice?

Outboards and DE boats just don't belong in the same sentence :rolleyes: thats in my opinion. Maybe a outboard on the smaller skiff type DE hulls but not on a 28-30.

Ditchdigger

Captain
outboards on D.E.

Outboards and DE boats just don't belong in the same sentence :rolleyes: thats in my opinion. Maybe a outboard on the smaller skiff type DE hulls but not on a 28-30.

When you mix two species together, you get a MUT ! I am with you. Get a pure breed !!

Top Bottom