Pocket DE for Family of 4?

Shark49

Lieutenant Commander
I have a 24 Seaway Hard Top Sport. My wife and I sleep in the cabin with two 60 pound plus dogs no problem.

Pete H

Lieutenant
First Name
Pete
Boat Make
Rosborough RF-246
+1 on the Rosborough 246. Took me 3 years to find mine but well worth the wait and it checks your boxes well

Spence

Lieutenant Commander
We had a sliding hard top extension built for our Seaway 24 HT Sport. Easy to enclose the entire cockpit with screens or curtains. Also wouldn't have to be that clever to rig a couple of hanging bunks in the cuddy over the v berth for foul weather.

Hebert01

Ensign
Hi Rob-

I own a 22’ Beals Island (Calvin Beal hull identical to the General Marine 22). It’s been a great fit for my family of five. Very seakindly, reliable, and “no-frills” bulletproof. Forward seating, huge open cockpit great for fishing or a couple of folding boat chairs to cruise. Weise it to cruise around Buzzards Bay.We absolutely love this boat.

0C2406B1-654F-44A2-B972-08A0919E2994.jpeg 2856A405-3FDD-4204-8D8F-9073FF4F14FD.jpeg

My kids are growing, and there’s a chance we’ll be moving up next spring. If interested, please keep in touch. I’m not sure I’ll ever really want to sell, but at some point a bigger boat will probably become a better fit for us.

tsharac

Lieutenant
First Name
Tim
Boat Make
1976 20' Eastporter; 1976 16' Stratford dory
Hello Folks,

Yes i'm asking a lot here... but starting to look into options. We are a family of 4 (3 year old and 5 year old) and we currently love sailing around the inland tidal waters of NH and occasionally out to the isles of shoals in our 19' Starwind with a small cubby cabin. We live along the Oyster River and our dock sits in the soft mud at low tide. I currently don't have a mooring but may in the future. I love the DE style, always have since spending a lot of time in Maine as a kid. As a sailor... I don't worry about necessarily going fast, i have a motorcycle for that need.

So the question is... what options may be worth looking at? I am thinking an outboard so i can lift it from keeping it in the mud. Something that has space on deck to throw down an air mattress for the kids and maybe could be enclosed for the night through some fabric / snaps (we camp in a tent as well so no issues with cramped spaces). I haven't come across much that could fit four under the pilot but maybe i am missing something out there. The majority of the time it would be used for cocktail cruising, runs to Portsmouth for dinner, fishing, pulling a few lobster traps by hand and hanging out at the dock or or in the river while the kids swim.

Budget? I'm cheap by design, son of a banker, but i don't mind spending some cash to get into something that i will probably hang onto for many many years. Open to re-powers as well. I would say i'm probably looking somewhere between 30-60K. I would love a new Ranger Tug 23 but that would be out of reach until at least my wife goes back to work at some point when the kids are older.

Current interests include Eastern Lobster / Sisu, a few MariTime boats but they lack that DE character.

Thanks all for your input!

Rob

I know a few folks with sailboats and they have a reputation for being thrifty, which you also mentioned in your post. I love cheap, efficient boats - currently fixing up a 20' Eastporter with a 40 hp Evinrude E-TEC, haven't finished the hull yet, but I'm hoping for 6-8 MPG at cruising speed.

You mention not worrying too much about speed, but what fuel economy are you striving for? Boat performance is like a three-way tug of war between speed, sea worthiness/displacement/comfort, and fuel economy. Typically an outboard burns around 10% of its rated horsepower at full speed - a 100 HP outboard would burn 10 gallons/hour at full throttle. Cruising speed fuel burn has a rougher approximation of around 5% the horsepower rating (5 gallons/hour) at cruising speed. Would there be a lot of groaning from your wallet if it takes $200 in fuel for a day trip?

guitarman

Commander
Boat Make
Dyer 29 Hardtop
Something like this seaway 25 coastal cruiser would work well. If you can find one.
We bought this new a number of years ago and sold it when we brought our Dyer 29.
Harry farmer only made 5 or six of these when he sold out to eastern boats

62B14173-D715-4943-8713-652B897E7A1E.jpeg

clearcan

Lieutenant
First Name
Rob
Boat Make
Starwind 19
Would there be a lot of groaning from your wallet if it takes $200 in fuel for a day trip?
fortunately it wouldn’t be a strain and would be aomething I would be planning for if I was going to make a run to Portland etc. The majority of our cruises will be relatively low speed adventures in the bay and rivers and a few trips to Portsmouth each month for dinner or morning play dates with our kids friends. I will be lugging my jerry vans down to fill her up myself which also helps cut down on that particular expense.

clearcan

Lieutenant
First Name
Rob
Boat Make
Starwind 19
Ellis Lobster Yacht - boats - by owner - marine sale

I think you will enjoy the shelter of the pilothouse after a day or two of owning it.
Agreed on that part as we like to have our boat in the water as soon as we can in the year and then take it out just before it snows in the later part of the year.

I have really fallen in love with Keelboater's Webbers Cove 22 which is really going to fit the bill of what i am looking for. Now he has to finish up that Bruno next year and then i will be heading south to bring her home! Perhaps if we all chip in a few hours early next year and we can all help him get it across the finish line (then of course my own selfish reasons will be realized!)

Eastporter

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
Sold- 20' Eastporter (Rebuilt 2011) 22' Pearson Ensign
Agreed on that part as we like to have our boat in the water as soon as we can in the year and then take it out just before it snows in the later part of the year.

I have really fallen in love with Keelboater's Webbers Cove 22 which is really going to fit the bill of what i am looking for. Now he has to finish up that Bruno next year and then i will be heading south to bring her home! Perhaps if we all chip in a few hours early next year and we can all help him get it across the finish line (then of course my own selfish reasons will be realized!)
That Webco 22 is a beautiful boat- I think you will love it!

Top Bottom