Pointer Yarmouth ME.

xp800

Lieutenant
Anybody know about these boats good or bad? I went and looked at a 18' Pointer it seemed to be in good cond. for a older hull. It looked similiar to a eastern hull but not sure if it compares..

Capttony

Lieutenant
Boat Make
22'sisu diesel 16' delano skiff
yeah they are nice, but not as good as an eastern in any type of sea. great little bay boat.

xp800

Lieutenant
Thanks Tony. Kinda what i thought not much of v in the bow seemed almost flat..let me know when i can take a look at one of those skiffs.

Dean

xp800

Lieutenant
Hi Eastporter, No its not that boat but it looks the same. The hull was a 79 and the motor was a 89 merc with low hours. It is in good shape the guy was asking a bit more than the boat in mashepee. My concern is unless its glass calm seas how the hull will handle chopy seas.

Bill

Founder
Boat Make
27 Terry Jason

xp800

Lieutenant
Bill, That first pic seems to be the same boat. The guy is asking $4600 for it. The boat was solid and he says it has low hours but a high price for a old boat i thought. Maybe i will offer him half of that and see what he will take for it.

Eastporter

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
Sold- 20' Eastporter (Rebuilt 2011) 22' Pearson Ensign
The Pointer is similar to the Eastporter (which is similar to the Westpointer as Bill mentioned). It is decent going into the chop 2' or less, not so good with waves from the side. Following sea is all about working the wheel and throttle. As far as price goes- it depends on what the boat needs. You can get a free boat and put a lot of money in it, or buy a boat that is ready for the ocean for more. Once you get on the water the money is secondary to the fun times with friends and family. IMHO- look at the cost of a new 18' Eastern and the older boats might make more sense to you.

Last edited:

deck boss

Lieutenant
I agree with Eastporter. I prefer to buy a POS or as my wife calls yard art and customize it the way I want it. If the boat is turn key and you have to do nothing to it the price may be in line. If it needs deck, stringers and transome then yes then it is over priced. I have a current project that cost me a few hundred but it it is a keel up rebuild, by the time it is all said and done with time and supplies I am in the 4-5k range. So don't let the year be a deterrent. Just my .02

xp800

Lieutenant
Rich will you post some pics of your pointer you have for sale. I bought a pointer and I am replacing stringers and a new sole. I'm looking for ideas for my boat. Thanks..

Downeaster

Lieutenant Commander
That's a deep and fine forefoot, Capt. Prescription for a problem in anything more than a very modest following sea.

Top Bottom