Polyfair or hull and deck?

hntrss

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
31 Duffy
I stripped everything off the roof of the Duffy. The roof is stick built, workboat quality ( at best ). Obvious seams, overlaps etc. since its clear, now is the time to improve. I want your opinions on the best way to go. I just want to build it up, knock it down and regelcoat it. Thanks

Hunta

Lieutenant
If your not re glassing the top, use the poly fair. Hull and deck is great for filling but will not work good w/o a layer of glass over it.

hntrss

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
31 Duffy
I kind of thought so, just wanted to hear opinions before buying any material. I have never used the hull and deck, but see it mentioned here on a regular basis. Thanks for the reply.

MDI45

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
45MDI /28WB
hull and deck for little jobs like filling the space in between the coring around windows......poly fair for big flat areas

SHORT STEP

Commander
Boat Make
Tripp / midland
hull & deck

Hull and deck does not need cloth over it but it is no wax and its hard to sand:( , more like grinding . polyfair:p is with wax and sands easy
bob

Blitzen

Admiral
Boat Make
Flowers Boat Works 46 hull #1, Flowers Boat Works 36 hull #1, Wayne Beal 28 Hull #1, Repco 30 1968,
I would use Awl-fair, the poly fair will crack in the sun and absorb water due to the talc in it. Then forget the gel-coat and just paint it with Awl-Grip and some non skid.

Last edited:

tunaorlater

Admiral
Boat Make
40' Northern bay
As long as your not going to thick poly fair is the way to go. If you really need to build something up over say 1/4 inch use hull and deck but you'll probably end up using some sort of fairing compound over that..

hntrss

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
31 Duffy
I just want to fair it in. Nothing crazy. Most likely just rolling gelcoat to finish. Got the bottom blasted yesterday, barrier coat and paint hopefully done this weekend

image.jpg

Top Bottom