Polyfair Vs LBI vs Quikfair

Bill

Founder
Boat Make
27 Terry Jason
Merritt Marine Supply. ATC Poly-Fair F26 Fairing Compound 5-Gallon PN# F26

http://www.lbifiberglass.com/FAIRCOMPFILL/faircomp.html#660

System Three QuikFair Fairing Compound

Got a bit of fairing to do on my 25 TJ. Specifically on the hull,it has pock marks from traps on the stbd side along with dings and dangs in a few other places.. I wanted to see if anyone had reviews on LBI fairing compound as it is much cheaper than polyfair. Also am I going about this the correct way in terms of the pock marks?

for fairing board paper , what do you guys use? 3M?

I just bought this fairing board.. it will do the trick right? there are different flexes? point me in correct direction if not
http://www.ebay.com/itm/3m-sanding-block-30-long-Stikit-style-rigid-part-83497-marine-fairing-board-/300942017467?viewitem=&sspagename=ADME%3AB%3AEOIBSA%3AUS%3A3160&item=300942017467&vxp=mtr&nma=true&si=txb%252FSmHGBjGbVU1Rd89QZZGz02Y%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557#ht_26wt_1045

Tuckerman

Captain
Boat Make
22 webber cove
A five gallon bucket seems like a lot. LBI is good but it seems to pinhole a lot. I like to use Evercoat rage gold or ultra. It sands great and doesn't pinhole as much as LBI. I use the LBI for rougher repairs. Evercoat also makes a spray poly to give yourself an even surface after using the spreadable polyester puttys.

lobstercatcher

Rear Admiral
The 35 Duffy I have was a lot worse than that, I wouldn't do any of that. I would just re jell coat it. Easy as pie:D. Every 20 years or so... re gel coat all those lobster pot digs and gouges.

lobstercatcher

Rear Admiral
Merritt Marine Supply. ATC Poly-Fair F26 Fairing Compound 5-Gallon PN# F26

http://www.lbifiberglass.com/FAIRCOMPFILL/faircomp.html#660

System Three QuikFair Fairing Compound

Got a bit of fairing to do on my 25 TJ. Specifically on the hull,it has pock marks from traps on the stbd side along with dings and dangs in a few other places.. I wanted to see if anyone had reviews on LBI fairing compound as it is much cheaper than polyfair. Also am I going about this the correct way in terms of the pock marks?

for fairing board paper , what do you guys use? 3M?

I just bought this fairing board.. it will do the trick right? there are different flexes? point me in correct direction if not
3M Sanding Block 30" Long Stikit Style Rigid Part 83497 Marine Fairing Board | eBay

For fairing board: I don't think you need that at all. There should be enough of the hull there to be able to just gel coat and fair off the edges, If you plan to haul traps.. you have a good chance of scratching it anyway, Maybe if you plan on doing the whole hull and want the rerst of the boat to have a like new finish, a fairing board might be needed.

lobstercatcher

Rear Admiral
I would say your biggest concern would be matching the color so any patch work blends in so it looks like it is all one color. If the color doesnt match the hull could look blotchy. Then you may have to re gel the whole hull or painting it is a "easy":rolleyes: way out if you don't feel like gel coating it. Gel coating is easier but some people don't know that and paint it because????? Paint looks better longer with dark colors. Having a light base can make scratches that happen for whatever reason stick out like a soar thumb and make a boat look bad. Then you can always just blame ..it was painted.

Bill

Founder
Boat Make
27 Terry Jason
Thanks guys. I'm planning on using awlgrip so I do need to fair it down. I appreciate the heads up with the lbi. I do need 5 gals for other bumps and bruises. This trap pock mark job was just something I know a few Or more of you guys have done .

BillD

Admiral
Portsmouth NH, boating out of the mighty Merrimack
Boat Make
25 Terry Jason with Cummins 370 power
Thanks guys. I'm planning on using awlgrip so I do need to fair it down. I appreciate the heads up with the lbi. I do need 5 gals for other bumps and bruises. This trap pock mark job was just something I know a few Or more of you guys have done .

This project otta be real good to follow !!:D

El Mar

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
Bryan
Boat Make
43 Tiara Open DDEC, GradyWhite 226, 18 Donzi Classic, 15 Boston Whaler Sport ETec 60

lobstercatcher

Rear Admiral

I'd still use gel coat. There is nothing there that looks structural . all you want is to fill and make smooth. Gel coat is made to do that. It will also be of the same consistency as the hull so you will be able to blend the fairing without having to worry about hard spots and soft spots that will sand unevenly.

chrisp

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
23 SeaCraft
Use the hull and deck putty from Merritt its a lot harder .polyfair won't stand up

Bill

Founder
Boat Make
27 Terry Jason
this is before and after of the midland I did.. didnt know shit then.. still dont know shit..but this is what I know how to paint a boat and will most likely stick to it, sand paper, quikfair, interlux perfection ( wet roller / dry roller method)..Dont have access to a garage.. if it scratches, it scratches, if it fades it fades.... looking for collective ideas on here as to your experiences. Im most likely going to grind it down. fill with epoxy/cabosil, then move to quickfair.

this is my first time using as fairing board.. anyone have a good supplier for the paper? what should I do go from the random orbital sander to the fairing board? with what paper would go go from? take it down to 220 with the electric sander then move to the fairing board with finer paper? or start high with the fairing board say from 120 on up?

Will I be able to use the stiff fairing board for the whole hull or do I need to get a flexible one too?

Regarding sanders..do you guys all use DA air sanders or do some guys use electric random orbital?

Sorry for all questions in one post, if you have any or all experience with any of this I appreciate it

36671_512359695961_106000889_30405221_6476063_n.jpg

36225_512359621111_106000889_30405206_5398316_n.jpg

13445_512359576201_106000889_30405199_5927565_n.jpg

photo 1.jpg

photo 2.jpg

Bill

Founder
Boat Make
27 Terry Jason
I'd still use gel coat. There is nothing there that looks structural . all you want is to fill and make smooth. Gel coat is made to do that. It will also be of the same consistency as the hull so you will be able to blend the fairing without having to worry about hard spots and soft spots that will sand unevenly.

Never used Gel coat, what brand do you use? do you have any before and afters of your work? this is just one little area that I am showing you. its going to need to be completely re gelcoated or painted

Top Bottom