Polypropelene Fuel Tanks

BillD

Admiral
Portsmouth NH, boating out of the mighty Merrimack
Boat Make
25 Terry Jason with Cummins 370 power
How many boats do you guys know of that have polypropelene diesel fuel tanks?

In reading Raider Ronnie rehab posts of his 28 BHM I saw the plastic fuel tanks.

I did a little research. The tanks seem to be an excellent alternative to metal tanks. No rot after 20 plus years. Easier to have a tank made than a "do-it-your selfer" fabbing fiberglass tanks. Easy install in a new build, lightweight, advertisement suggests the tanks last for life.

Any boats here with plastic tanks?

Here's a blurb from Triple M Plastics who btw, have a "lifetime guarantee"

Durability. Reliability. Versatility. The Polypropylene Difference.
Polypropylene has many advantages over other materials. Here's our Top 11 (we couldn't stop at 10):
Lightweight
Rigid
Resists abrasions
Highly resistant to chemicals and corrosion
High insulation value for both heat and electricity
Low moisture absorption
FDA and USDA approved
Easy to clean and maintain
Easy to repair
Long-lasting

FWIW, Bill D

tunafishhkg

Captain
Boat Make
35 Duffy
The insulating factor might be a disadvantage holding the heat in from the fuel return LOL. I had bad luck but on paper and as long as its installed correctly should be good. Wonder how Alaska cold would affect it?

BillD

Admiral
Portsmouth NH, boating out of the mighty Merrimack
Boat Make
25 Terry Jason with Cummins 370 power
The insulating factor might be a disadvantage holding the heat in from the fuel return LOL. I had bad luck but on paper and as long as its installed correctly should be good. Wonder how Alaska cold would affect it?

Good point in the insulation factor and heat dissipation.

Describe your "bad luck" :(

tunafishhkg

Captain
Boat Make
35 Duffy
Already did in a previous thread and do not want to rehash LOL. Maybe just bad luck but it cost me a lot of $$$ and time. What is also important is that Triple M did want to make good which is all you can ask for.

CEShawn

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
Downeastless
A few people have had bad luck... I think another point would be to make sure you have a backup plan for it and when you pull it out after it cracks a seam you have an unlimited amount of cutting boards!

We had one in our H&H40, 150 gallons and it is a great cutting board (not really great). I did not know who made it but did end up replacing it with an aluminum. I did not know who made it.

FDA and USDA I look for when buying a fuel tank, perhaps that list could have been 10 Bill, LOL Just kidding...

Top Bottom