Port Supply

Discussion in 'Commercial Fishermen's Forum' started by CEShawn, Feb 23, 2019.

1. CEShawn

CEShawn Captain

USCG Chief Engineer, Motor & Gas TurbineUSCG First
    Home Page:
    Boat Make:
    RP35
    I am sure this is posted somewhere but having a hard time searching this lately.

So is it me or is Port Supply just stupid lately. I am middle tier of three right now and this winter was probably the first time I actively shopped Amazon for the boat, should have started sooner. The savings has just been stupid crazy. I mean a $100 Blue Seas switch at West, my discount gets it to $78, Amazon was $61. Just now was looking a horn for $18 on Amazon, same Marinco $28. Its over and over now. Sure they say they will price match to Amazon but I cant imagine just sitting at the counter rattling through these...

In all this, Defender looks better and better, wish I could get the shipping down though...

2. djmarchand

djmarchand Captain

Retired engineer
    Boat Make:
    Atlas Pompano 23 outboard
    You can find almost anything on Amazon including stuff that the big chandlers don't have or would have to special order. I bought a couple of raw water impellers for my Yanmar 6LY at 2/3 of other pricing and 1/2 of Yanmar's.

David

3. Pedlyr

Pedlyr Senior Member

Fleet Manager
    Port Supply is technically now West Marine Pro. I will not go into a West Marine store. They are one of the biggest supporters of Oceana. Mrs West Marine is actually on the board. They are last on my list.

I actually prefer Donovan but it is not always easy to set up an account. FWIW Go2Marine in California has been very competitive lately and shipping times aren't bad.

Frank, Old Mud and restless like this.
  4. CEShawn

CEShawn Captain

USCG Chief Engineer, Motor & Gas TurbineUSCG First
    Home Page:
    Boat Make:
    RP35
    My panels came from Go2marine...

5. Old Mud

Old Mud Captain

Retired Fisherman
    Boat Make:
    Ho Made

Not a fan of Donovan because i don't know who they are BUT Definitely won't go into a West Marine for the above given reason. I would give up fishing/ boating if i had to purchase from them.

Frank and Regman99 like this.
  6. Keelboater

Keelboater Captain

Boat Make:
    35' Bruno & Stillman
    Port Supply is not on my radar screen for several reasons. Aside from using any gift cards, you'll never see me in a West Marine. I have an account with Defender which makes the 35 minute drive well worth it. Check Hodges Marine on line for pricing before pulling the trigger elsewhere. Also as mentioned check pricing with Go2marine. They are competitors but also partner with different manufacturers, so what one may sell, the other might not. During the planning stages on my Bruno project, I was very fortunate to find brand new and unused items on Craigslist for massive discounts. You just have to keep watching and keep in mind the things you will eventually need down the road. In one case, I bought a new Bomar battery box that just happened to match the one I already had. When I showed up to buy it, they guy asked if I needed anything else. As it turned out, he had just about anything you could think of to re-wire a boat from scratch but had not listed any of it yet. All top quality. His project boat sank during Sandy and he had acquired everything brand new. That turned out to be a major score. You just never know what you will find, but you have to keep looking on a regular basis and plan ahead.

7. Beamie

Beamie Senior Member

Love going into West Marine with my Jamestown printouts.....yu can just feel the manager chringing........

Arcadia 12, Wrinkleshell and Genius like this.
  8. CapeCodNorton

CapeCodNorton Senior Member

Firefighter/Paramedic Hyannis Fire Department
    Boat Make:
    23 Crowley Beal
    This is the thing that pisses me off about West Marine though, if you want my business just price your shit on par with everyone else and stop making me do the work. On the flip side, I guess I have to congratulate them for knowing and exploiting g the fact that there’s plenty of people out there that will pay their prices without blinking an eye. I choose to steer my business elsewhere unless I’m in a real pinch.

captjohn likes this.
  9. CCtuna

CCtuna Captain

Boat Make:
    Some day...
    It’s just the Walmart of the boating world except it’s expensive. I, also, love going in there and price matching like 10 items. It’s also funny when your at the register price matching something and billy bay liner is behind you buying the same exact product at full price just completely clueless

10. Backnaction

Backnaction Senior Member

Hodges marine has been spectacular to deal with. They usually come up the least expensive and the stuff gets here without issue so far. Amazon is really sweet too, especially with prime.

captjohn likes this.
  11. Blitzen

Blitzen Captain

Ex Merchant Mariner
    Boat Make:
    Flowers Boat Works 46, 1991 Boston Whaler Outrage 19
    I love it on the few occasions I go in there to get something and the item I want is sold out and surrounded by a fully stocked shelf of shit product and the sales associate comes over and asks can I help you. I always ask do you have more of this item and they say no we are currently out but we can order it for you. Hey Genius I can order it too for much less but I needed it today that is why I am here. Why is your shelf empty?
    Because West Marine sucks. The few quality items that they do carry are always in a very limited supply and they have focused their business towards the more cheap and profitable products. I have become accustomed to planning ahead and ordering online. It saves the time and hassle of driving there to come home and order it online anyway. Who cares if they can price match, they won't have the product.

Parttime, Teaserhead and Old Mud like this.
  12. Captinlon

Captinlon Senior Member

Boat Make:
    32 H & H
    west marine a joke here, over priced and nothing on the shelfs got to order everything, then pay shipping. might as well just order it online myself

CapeCodNorton likes this.
  13. CapeCodNorton

CapeCodNorton Senior Member

Firefighter/Paramedic Hyannis Fire Department
    Boat Make:
    23 Crowley Beal
    I’ve also found Hodges to be great, bought some Garmin electronics and accessories off them and they ship out within hours of placing the order and I get them to my door in 2-3 days. Prices thus far have been better than anywhere else I’ve found plus free shipping and no tax.

14. 30-06guy

30-06guy Senior Member

I know West Marine and who they support and I don't shop there for those reasons. Are there any other marine supply places that I should avoid for the same reason? I don't have time to check into every ones "charity" donations but I sure don't want to give my hard earned money to someone that is going to turn around and use it to put fisherman out of business .

Rob