portable boat storage/garage

fat2nawilly

Commander
I'm looking for in tell on how some of you guys build garages around your boats to work on them in the winter. I had a shelter logic car port over mine that i modified and made taller to keep my boat in there all year as i trailer it daily but this last storm we had a tree fell on it from my neighbors yard and crushed it. so Im thinking of building 2x4 walls and taking 1'' PVC pipe to form an arch for the roof and then shrink wrapping it all. what are your guys input on this? if you have pics of your garage set ups please post pics. thanks

Keelboater

Admiral
Boat Make
35' Bruno & Stillman
Check the thread from Toolate. He build a very nice bow house for his 30' Sisu. Seems to be shedding the snow nicely and it has held up to the winter winds.

Toolate

Admiral
First Name
Ben
Boat Make
1998 36' Sabre Express CAT 3116TA's, 2015 ROS Scotia 16 Etec 50
Inspiration came from this site (The Shed) and a number of others. If you just google image "bow roof shed" you will get enough of an idea of the way I did mine. Dont have any pics but they are in my long winded thread (http://downeastboatforum.com/downeast-boat-general-discussion/flying-sisu-7486.html).

Materials costs were about $600-700 and took me a day and a half with 2 other guys. So far hasnt blown away. I put a tarp on it instead of shrink wrap but the wrap would have been better for light and I think would have made this thing strong enough to last at least as long as the shrink wrap would in the UV if you had room. Its sheltered from the wind mostly by my house and garage tho so if you are in a meadow on the waterfront you might need to anchor it some more. Going to give it to a buddy for his yard so we'll see how it lasts.

Gurryman has one hell of a shed for his boat too. Mafia blocks with a steel framed structure over it. Huge too.

Toolate

Admiral
First Name
Ben
Boat Make
1998 36' Sabre Express CAT 3116TA's, 2015 ROS Scotia 16 Etec 50
I basically drew a cross section of my boat on my lawn at its high point and then put steel stakes in the grass about 30" from it at the bridge rail and rub rail (so I could fit/work later) and ground. Then bent a piece of spruce 1x3 around them and eyeballed where the ridge should go and put a stake there. Then added a second and the 2x4 spacers and screwed it all together.

The ridge and ground stakes go outside the curve of the bow and the middle 2 went on the inside so the 4 stakes hold the piece in a curved shape. Crude but fast and fine for a temp shed esp if it will get shrink wrapped. Put carpet on the ridge- seems to protect the tarp from tearing (so far anyway). I have pics somewhere but not here if you want.

You work fast First Team.

Kaiser

Lieutenant Commander
Gothic arch barns have been made by farmers for the last 100 years with "farmboys" and no special skills. Rigid Ply rafters in PA has been making simular for 60 years just with solid 2x4 and 2x6 glued. Unidella in NY also made some.There was a HUGE one that went up in Maine 4 or five years ago. Cant remember where. Extremely efficient design with HUGE clear spans possible. You can put the arches 4' ,8' and even 12' and use purlins to span between. the key to the design is the bottom tie. sometimes it is the slab or somtimes it floor joists. If you sink one end on the arch in the ground (treated wood) the earth is your bottom tie.

You can do the same thing with straight sticks but need rigid connections that are complicated.

If you need help with design calculations I can help you

fat2nawilly

Commander
thanks for all the ideas guys, seems pretty basic to build. I'm just waiting on my neighbors insurance company to come out for an appraisal and then ill be building/buying something new.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom