Portable generator placement

Brainey

Captain
First Name
Bill
Boat Make
43' Atkinson
All,
Looking for some advice. I'll be purchasing a small, portable. gas generator to power my lights and electronics on overnight trips. Probably a Honda or Yamaha 2000. My question for you guys who use these is where do you set it up when its running? Trying to figure a spot on the boat where it will be out of the way, limit the noise and possibility of breathing exhaust, but also be relatively accessible when I need to get to it. Any feedback is apprciated. Also if someone has a good used one at a good price let me know. Thanks.

MASTERENEGADE

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Had a DE, now 24' Privateer
I put mine on the roof strapped down. And if its gonna drizzle or rain I took a big tubberware container cut notches in it for the exhaust and ext cord to come through and just put container upside down over the generator. Ran it like this through hurricane sandy and never had a issue.

I have the honda 2000i. Love the unit.

F/V First Team

Admiral
Website
www.otisenterprisesmarine.com
Boat Make
Northern Bay 36 - Modified
Snip the wire on the low oil shutdown switch. That way when you're rocking and rolling it doesn't shut down on you.

Don't scientists start to bitch when that happens out on the bay taking data readings.

Badlatitude

Rear Admiral
There is a company that makes a duct adapter for the air and exhaust outlet. For the hondas

Services

Last edited:

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
My local Costco has a small generator with a yamaha engine but the generator itself is a different brand, they sell for just over $600.

F/V First Team

Admiral
Website
www.otisenterprisesmarine.com
Boat Make
Northern Bay 36 - Modified
Yeah, I wasn't too impressed. The deckhand had been staring at it for over ten minutes trying to find out what was wrong. I reached over and tore the wire off and told them to turn it back on so we could finish the day.

Fun times, fun times

Dr. Chip

Commander
Boat Make
Bruno & Stillman 35
I second that. No matter where you put the generator.. I think there is a marine version that is a bit more robust than they typical box box crap. could be wrong. Either way, get a couple asap.

Top Bottom