Portland, me

Dave588

Commander
I tried searching without luck.
Would anyone have recommendations for family type things to do in portland me this weekend?
Places to eat?

Roccus7

Captain
Boat Make
2013 22' Eastern Lobsterman
Whew, need more info. Kids age and interest, how much you want to spend on restaurants as Portland is a Foodie Destination, but comes with a cost, what do you like to eat. You cruising in or driving in? If driving where are you staying?

Ms.Aimee

Captain
There was actually a thread on this for family friendly places. I’m 20 min south, lived here my whole life. Like Roccus said will need more info!

PatriciaLynn

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Repco
Yeah, depending on what you are into there is a ton to do. Wake up and do breakfast at the Bayside American Cafe, then walk th Eastern Prom and explore Munjoy Hill. Then back over to Maine Oyster Co for lunch. Head out to Thompsons Point and have a coffee at Rwanda Bean before the Children's museum. After, grab a beer at Bunker Brewing before heading across the bridge to South Portland for drinks and apps at SoPo seafood. Kids get dropped off with babysitter, then it is a late night beer drinking and pub food at Foulmouthed Brewing.

Diesel Jerry

Admiral
Lite User

Dave588

Commander
Whew, need more info. Kids age and interest, how much you want to spend on restaurants as Portland is a Foodie Destination, but comes with a cost, what do you like to eat. You cruising in or driving in? If driving where are you staying?
13 and 15 yo boys, driving, airport hilton

Ms.Aimee

Captain
Maine mall is near the airport… the ‘axe pit’ is near by which is axe throwing. Right next door is urban air which is one of the indoor bounce houses. Bayside bowl is fun as well.

State Parks, Fort Williams/Portland Head Light in Cape Elizebeth provides good views of casco bay. Two Light state park.

Great restaurants all through the city. $50 entree options as well as family friendly places as well. Flatbreads off commercial is good family restaurant as well good commercial boat viewing. If your a craft beer guy there are many amazing breweries in the city as well.

Roccus7

Captain
Boat Make
2013 22' Eastern Lobsterman
13 and 15 yo boys, driving, airport hilton
OK, children's museum is out then. Just hopping down to the Old Port and play tourist along commercial street will also be fun for all, hotel lobby desk will have all the maps and info you need. Stop in at Three Dollar Deweys for lunch, the young men will get quite the laugh at reading the "old" menu. I bet the hotel runs a shuttle down into town which will save you the hassle of finding and paying for parking.

You could hop in the car and drive 20 minutes up to Freeport, spend some time at LL Bean. The Admiral will enjoy the shopping and for the young men there's Patagonia and North Face. When in Freeport I like to eat at the Tuscan Brick Oven Bistro, and they have a partner place, the Tuscan Table in South Portland, right by the Mall.

Speaking of the Mall, which is NOT a great Mall by MA standards, there's a ton of not too pricey restaurants near the Mall, Olive Garden, Longhorn Steakhouse, etc. You won't go too broke at any of them feeding the family there.

Shipyard Brewery is right in town, but IMO the better one is Allagash, which is a bit out of town and I'm not sure if the boys could tag along on a tour. You have to make reservations in advance there, and I think it's still free. There are also some GREAT Brewery Crawls, but once again, the lads wouldn't be having much fun.

Underdog11

Commander
Lite User
Boat Make
32 Holland,

SoPoMike

Lieutenant
First Name
Mike
Boat Make
24FT Ellis Express 1996
With a little planning you could consider taking the Casco Bay ferry over to Peaks Island, rent bikes or a golf cart and drive around the island. The ferry runs an all day schedule. It will give you a taste of Casco Bay and the harbor islands.

Dave588

Commander
Appreciate all the info. Not everything went as planned. Hotel was good. Everything is a drive from there. We did bring the dog. Ate at some seafood restaurants. Drank some shipyard beer. Walked dog around portland head lighthouse. And willards beach. We will be back again

Top Bottom