Post your Hunting/ Deer pics!

morgan1727

Commander
A question someone could answer. For the deer ticks, do you guys use any repellents?

ErikT

Captain
Lite User
First Name
Erik
Boat Make
Crowley Beal 28
Last edited:

morgan1727

Commander
Is there a smell to the repellant? Do you have to try and hide it with scent eliminator , or do deer not associate it with danger?

Codcruncher

Commander
Is there a smell to the repellant? Do you have to try and hide it with scent eliminator , or do deer not associate it with danger?
They smell it...deer hunting makes it tough to use a repellent...maybe there are some that don't have an odor..seems like I heard of one somewhere...some guys use a thermacell...they have an odor as well..I don't believe they work for ticks...here in the northeast ticks are not typical a big problem during deer season..they have tick repellent camo...I've never used it but it is available as well as tick netting camo

Codcruncher

Commander
Here's one one of my buddies hit last year and lost...I found it a week later dead in the river...shame

20191122_120757.jpg

MAArcher

Rear Admiral
The active ingredient is permethrin, the same stuff that's in a Sorento dog tick collars and USGI government issue military uniforms are even treated with it. It comes in different formulations to stick to fabric or hair. It's a neurotoxin so it makes me nervous, but its been around a long time and seems safe. If you're cheap like I am buy "Repel-35". It's the same stuff for half price, sold as insect repellant for horses and dogs. Repel 35 Residual Action Insect Control Spray, 32oz

You can also buy 10% permethrin concentrate products and dilute it down to 0.5%. Use just water and there’s no smell.

I spray it on my boots and pants every couple weeks.

Also, FYI - none of the sent eliminators or cover sent or scent block clothing work. Sentlok lost millions in false advertising lawsuits.

If you don't want a deer to smell you, do three things before you hunt; shower with scent free products and scent free deodorant. Wash your cloths in scent free detergent and lastly, brush your teeth. The majority of human odder comes from atomization of bacteria in our breath. I've had deer come within arms reach of me. I’ve had them down wind, directly under my stand countless times. I could probably count on my hands the number of times I was busted by scent alone. It’s usually movement that gives you away.

although I have heard of a “cover scent” story that was interesting. I heard of a guy who used diesel fuel as a cover scent when hunting his farm. Said the deer were used to the smell from all the equipment and that the diesel fumes fill all the deers receptor cells so they can’t smell much of anything.

But I’m my mind, it’s best to smell like nothing, so I haven’t spent a dime on cover scents or scent eliminator sprays in almost 20 years.

Thermacell is a life saving product if you hate black flys and mosquitoes; and deer don’t seem to notice it.

Codcruncher

Commander
The active ingredient is permethrin, the same stuff that's in a Sorento dog tick collars and USGI government issue military uniforms are even treated with it. It comes in different formulations to stick to fabric or hair. It's a neurotoxin so it makes me nervous, but its been around a long time and seems safe. If you're cheap like I am buy "Repel-35". It's the same stuff for half price, sold as insect repellant for horses and dogs. Repel 35 Residual Action Insect Control Spray, 32oz

You can also buy 10% permethrin concentrate products and dilute it down to 0.5%. Use just water and there’s no smell.

I spray it on my boots and pants every couple weeks.

Also, FYI - none of the sent eliminators or cover sent or scent block clothing work. Sentlok lost millions in false advertising lawsuits.

If you don't want a deer to smell you, do three things before you hunt; shower with scent free products and scent free deodorant. Wash your cloths in scent free detergent and lastly, brush your teeth. The majority of human odder comes from atomization of bacteria in our breath. I've had deer come within arms reach of me. I’ve had them down wind, directly under my stand countless times. I could probably count on my hands the number of times I was busted by scent alone. It’s usually movement that gives you away.

although I have heard of a “cover scent” story that was interesting. I heard of a guy who used diesel fuel as a cover scent when hunting his farm. Said the deer were used to the smell from all the equipment and that the diesel fumes fill all the deers receptor cells so they can’t smell much of anything.

But I’m my mind, it’s best to smell like nothing, so I haven’t spent a dime on cover scents or scent eliminator sprays in almost 20 years.

Thermacell is a life saving product if you hate black flys and mosquitoes; and deer don’t seem to notice it.
Best clothes wash is to hang em outside and let the weather clean em..I put all my clothes out 2 weeks before I intend to hunt, put em in a scent free bag the night before.. they go back on the line after the hunt...shower with scent eliminating soap is a definite, like your said about brush your teeth, I use dead down wind products including tooth paste...I don't use a thermacell when I deer hunt...definitely use it late season turkey if I'm still in the woods...had guys tell me they were winded because of the thermacell...who knows, could have been them...but the thermacell does have an odor...I don't care what anyone says about ozonics...I have deer spook from the ozone smell...I have it on video, I will post it if I can figure out how...the ozonics was 40 yards off my scent line...I watched em coming, as soon as they hit the ozonics scent line down wind, they stopped, did a couple head bobs, back stepped,,turned and were gone...I know some guys swear by em, but you can smell the ozone...like you said,,the best scent is no scent...one thing you said I disagree with...more times than not if you get picked off it's scent...the old saying, you can fool his eyes sometimes, but you can hardly ever fool his nose, is as true as it gets...

Last edited:

30-06guy

Commander
First Name
Rob
Boat Make
Currently boatless
How early or late in the season did you get him?
Got him on Nov 14th. I shot him in the White Mountain National Forest. I believe that he is an older buck and past his prime. 20201116_161547.jpg his molars are worn right down as you can see in this picture. I sent his front teeth to a lab in Montana to be aged more accurately.

Codcruncher

Commander
Very nice. How long are the brow tines on the one in the middle? They look like they are around 8 inches or so.
Close...8.5" and 9....that buck scores 154 as an 8...he's got a lot of score in circumference..my pics don't do those deer justice..

30-06guy

Commander
First Name
Rob
Boat Make
Currently boatless
20210420_194319.jpg 20210420_194327.jpg
My best one so far. Shot him the next to last day of the season on December 6th 2002. Dressed out 198. Gross score was 158 4/8 and neted 152 7/8.

Top Bottom