Post your old projects!!!!!No project too small!

Bill

Founder
Boat Make
27 Terry Jason
We are still taking "donations" here at the forum for your old projects.. If you have some pics of some of your old projects or boats we would love for you to post them,, If you have old boxes of boat pics and have yet to convert them to digitial, use this service here..

Photo Scanning Packs - Scanning & Video Conversion

thanks in advance

Keelboater

Admiral
Boat Make
35' Bruno & Stillman
Hard Top Project

A few pix of a polished stainless steel hard top I made for my old 23' Formula. I looked for a few of the work in progress shots but can't find any. The top itself was 1/4" plywood, glassed over with very fine cloth, and painted with 2 part epoxy. Two pieces were used with a backer, and screwed and epoxied to hold the correct curvature. To make it appear thicker around the edges, I added 2" wide x 3/8" thick stiffening strips, and added a nice radius to the edge. The frame was made from .062" wall 304 polished stainless tube. I do all of my own welding, and polished all the TIG welds afterwards. I did all of the bending with a small hand bender. The larger center bows were formed by supporting each length of tube with wooden blocks at each end, and then jumping on it until I had the desired arch. :D Easy- peasy as a wise man once said. No need for fancy bending equipment. This was a fun boat to run out to Montauk with. By coincidence only, in the background of the top shot you can see my next nightmare.......I mean project...... the 28 Bertram in it's "before" state. Sorry, no downeast here, but it's still a boat project to look at. I was planning on a similar top for my Coastal project, but have decided to go with a full lobster top. Pix to follow some day.

Formula Hard Top.jpg

Formula Hard Top 2.jpg

pyrofan

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
wilcox and midland
We are still taking "donations" here at the forum for your old projects.. If you have some pics of some of your old projects or boats we would love for you to post them,, If you have old boxes of boat pics and have yet to convert them to digitial, use this service here..

Photo Scanning Packs - Scanning & Video Conversion

thanks in advance

Hi Bill, Have you ever used this company? I have quite a few old pics from when my Dad and I were building boats. Do you know if they are reproduced better then the pictures I can scan on my three in one printer?

captainlarry84

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
KristenFormer Charter Captain
Going way back. In 1978 I purchased a Grover boat & hand built a fighting chair to fit the boat. All stainless steel & teak. I never caught anything big in except this mako. Note the rods. All 7' with 9/0s & black dacron.

CCF01182009_00021.jpg

CCF01182009_00018.jpg

Last edited:

mako239

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
1987 28 BHM 210 Cummins
What a great pic Capt Larry.. Beautiful monster male mako!

Going way back. In 1978 I purchased a Grover boat & hand built a fighting chair to fit the boat. All stainless steel & teak. I never caught anything big in except this mako. Note the rods. All 7' with 9/0s & black dacron.

captainlarry84

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
KristenFormer Charter Captain
That he was. Back then you could catch them 15 miles out. That Groverbuilt what I did not do to it. We though in was the Cata..s back in the day.
So we decide to go the Hudson Canyon. What did we know back then. Off we sailed at 10 knots & 70 gallons of fuel. We put the rods in 10 hours later & Bam! we catch all these fish..... Ice back then who knew. He had just enough ice to keep the beer cold......LMAO

Canyon tuna 1979.jpg

mako239

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
1987 28 BHM 210 Cummins
HaHa i love hearing the old stories esp outta freeport.. Thats what keeps my passion alive

That he was. Back then you could catch them 15 miles out. That Groverbuilt what I did not do to it. We though in was the Cata..s back in the day.
So we decide to go the Hudson Canyon. What did we know back then. Off we sailed at 10 knots & 70 gallons of fuel. We put the rods in 10 hours later & Bam! we catch all these fish..... Ice back then who knew. He had just enough ice to keep the beer cold......LMAO

Top Bottom