Pot hauler as a bandit?

jon3030

Commander
Boat Make
35' Five Islands
I'm ready to buy a reel for my greenstick but rather than a hydraulic bandit reel I'm thinking about using a pot hauler with a big spool that goes to a block on a post with a fiberglass bandit style arm. Has anyone ever set their boat up this way? I just think it would be easier to store away and I would use the pot hauler all the time to pull my anchor line up.

jon3030

Commander
Boat Make
35' Five Islands
Right. A friend here on this board even suggested harpoon line for the main line and bring fish in right on the hauler... Might work!

F/V First Team

Admiral
Website
www.otisenterprisesmarine.com
Boat Make
Northern Bay 36 - Modified
I would imagine that the hardest part will be coupling to the stub shaft on the hydraulic motor, but that's really just a set screw to crowd against the key. After that you can mount anything you wanted to on it, crack the valve open for the required amount of speed that you're looking for.

Badlatitude

Rear Admiral
I brought this up another time and I was advised that having the bandit swivel mounted and being able to play the fish are important and running the set up off a spool and davit like a long line set up would not work as well.

googinhater

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
38 yb. f/v wildlife
The hard part is the drag set up you can't just bolt a spool to your hauler you need drag same with the ll spool the drag is the weak link there needs to be give

F/V First Team

Admiral
Website
www.otisenterprisesmarine.com
Boat Make
Northern Bay 36 - Modified
One hub, multiple rigs. Mix and match for what you're after. Drag setting should just be a tension device that you can alter while the hub is turning - no different than a regular reel you're just changing the amount of slip between plates/gears

Members online

Latest Posts

Top Bottom