Powering Midland 19' with 50hp

Jono57766

Lieutenant
Boat Make
34' Hatteras
Just picked up a Midland 19' with no power. I have a 50hp four stroke mercury that I am going to put on it. What should I expect?

Thanks in advance!

MAArcher

Commander
Just picked up a Midland 19' with no power. I have a 50hp four stroke mercury that I am going to put on it. What should I expect?

Thanks in advance!
Did you get that white and sea-foam green one? I was in the middle of trying to set up a time to see that thing and the guy ghosted me. You must have showed up with cash.

Most of the midlands I've seen for sale over the past year, including that one, have had 90's on them. Some history here: A little history on Midland 19

Sorry, I don't have any useful insight on how it will run with a 50. When I talked about putting a 50 on my 19' fiberglass flat bottom skiff I was told it wouldn't likely plane once loaded with traps and bait. Good luck, have fun with it.

MAArcher

Commander
Yeah thats the one. In surprisingly good shape
I heard a friend of a friend put some money into it and hung the etec on it a few years ago, then didn't use it much before selling it to the guy you bought it from. Let us know how it works out with the 50, I'd be curious myself.

Eastporter

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
Sold- 20' Eastporter (Rebuilt 2011) 22' Pearson Ensign
Bill (admin) owned a Midland 19. I don't recall the power he had. I'm sure he can chime in and give you details. I think a 50 hp would be the minimum and would be good for getting out on the water and enjoying it. I'm in agreement that 90 hp is the sweet spot for most of these boats in that size range.

P18Flirt

Lieutenant Commander
Lite User
First Name
Jeff
Boat Make
Pointer 18 / BHM 28

Jono57766

Lieutenant
Boat Make
34' Hatteras
Really appreciate the info! I don't need it to be a rocket ship, mostly just going to be doing down the essex River with it.

Keelboater

Admiral
Boat Make
35' Bruno & Stillman
A good friend had a 50 hp 2 stroke on his 19' Midland for a few seasons. It was actually much faster than I anticipated and he covered a lot of water with it. He finally re-powered with a 90 hp. Your 50 hp 4 stroke should impress you on that boat, but it might lead to bigger and better things down the road. Just be sure to prop it correctly and you will not be disappointed considering it's only 50 hp.

RAMPAGE88

Commander
A good friend had a 50 hp 2 stroke on his 19' Midland for a few seasons. It was actually much faster than I anticipated and he covered a lot of water with it. He finally re-powered with a 90 hp. Your 50 hp 4 stroke should impress you on that boat, but it might lead to bigger and better things down the road. Just be sure to prop it correctly and you will not be disappointed considering it's only 50 hp.
Spent quite a bit of time on the above mentioned Midland with the 50hp 2 stroke mercury & although 90hp seems to be optimal, the 50 got the job done even with 3 guys blackfishing on the rockpiles.

MAArcher

Commander
Good point about propping it correctly. I'm a novice and until recently had no idea how much difference the prop can make. If you're 50 came off a smaller lighter craft, you're probably going to have to go down in pitch to get the most out of it.

Sleepwalker

Lieutenant Commander
Nice goin! That looked like a deal and in decent shape. Like to hear your impressions after you launch.

Jono57766

Lieutenant
Boat Make
34' Hatteras
Just got back from a quick test run. Ran 22kts going against the tide, 24kts with the tide, couldn't be happier. Had myself (245lbs), my wife (135lbs +/-) and 140lbs of german shepherds on board. Not getting full RPM so going to play with propping a little but seriously impressed so far. Quick question, what height is everyone mounting there motors on these hulls? I mounted it with the cavitation plate lower than usual and feel as though it still might be a bit high.

wineyarders

Lieutenant
Boat Make
'74 Midland
Had an Yamaha f60 on mine, it was plenty. I'd think a 90 would be more than the boat is built for, maybe for sheltered water.

Top Bottom