Price of Blue-Fin License?

ChipTam

Lieutenant
Boat Make
locally-made 22' wooden boat with inboard engine
Last fall when I was in Newfoundland a friend told me the price of a Blue-Fin Tuna license in Canada. He's usually knowledgeable about such things but I was shocked at the incredibly high price he cited. I tried going on the DFO web site to confirm the price but couldn't find it. Now, I know that Blue-Fin exported to Tokyo and sold at the fish market there can net some big bucks but the cost of the license still seemed out of sight. Does anyone out there in either Canada or the States know how much a license costs? I'm just curious. I'm not in the market for a license myself.

ChipTam

duxbait

Captain
It's only gonna cost you $20 in the US, would be big bucks if it were a limited entry. Think it is a limited entry in Canada which would mean a high priced license. The Canadian boats catch their quota unlike us, another reason for it to be a valuable permit.

ChipTam

Lieutenant
Boat Make
locally-made 22' wooden boat with inboard engine
It's only gonna cost you $20 in the US, would be big bucks if it were a limited entry. Think it is a limited entry in Canada which would mean a high priced license. The Canadian boats catch their quota unlike us, another reason for it to be a valuable permit.

Thanks for that information, Duxbait. Yes, you're probably right about limited entry in Canada. I was also thinking afterward that the price I heard may have involved the purchase of a permit from one fisherman to another. That often happens in Canada when the DFO is no longer issuing new licenses. If that was the case, it may have even been a multi-year permit. Thanks again.

ChipTam

Top Bottom