Price of new Diesels

osprey47

Lieutenant Commander
First Name
Joe
Boat Make
BHM 36 w/ Yanmar 6LYA-STE
I am running through the numbers on a build from scratch vs used 35' to 37', purely for cruising so looking to keep fuel consumption down. Tough finding pricing for new complete diesels in the 220 to 370hp range. Any assist on 'ballparking' cost of engine NOT including install would be appreciated.

CEShawn

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
Downeastless
I got a 260 Cummins to go into an older hull, no TIER regs, at $21000 with a trolling gear, basic panel. This engine is one of those factory rebuild's, zero hour. Its funny because I've seen lower prices but when you put it together this is what I got. I was also looking at putting in a D4-260ish Volvo, brand new, that was something like $28,000 or $30,000.

I never went through with any of these, sold the boat beforehand...

djmarchand

Captain
Boat Make
Atlas Pompano 23 outboard
Since this is a new build you are going to have to install a Tier compliant engine, unless you want to fake it. A Cummins QSB 380 or the Volvo mentioned above are going to cost in the $30K range.

David

CEShawn

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
Downeastless
To me, it was worth to buy an old hull, where the engine is mechanical because I know I will always be able to work on it... I do not know how the years worked out...

Nighthawk

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
Carolina Classic
330 HP John Deere 6068AFM75 with a ZF gear ,complete accessory kit, panel ,harness, air cleaner, HEAT EXCHANGER cooled with sea water pump and dry elbow is $43,000.00

actual cut and pasted quote

CEShawn

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
Downeastless
I look at these prices and have a hard time trying to figure it out anymore... Just the price it adds to new boats...

petrel

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
56' DMR, 31' BHM
Even more discouraging about the new engines is the money it adds to repowering older boats that don't hold so much value these days. Makes it really hard to justify the expense if you contemplate what you could get for a boat if you have to sell her or if you find a great deal on a bigger boat and want to upgrade at some point. Even the factory rebuilt Cummins engines have skyrocketed in price since their introduction a few years ago. It's a depressing prospect when you have a Detroit or a Mack or something that's long been out of production and you don't want to put new kits in again. Of course there would be a lot less boat owners if we had to justify the expenses that come w/ boat ownership. Break Out Another Thousand has become Break Out Additional ThousandS.

osprey47

Lieutenant Commander
First Name
Joe
Boat Make
BHM 36 w/ Yanmar 6LYA-STE
So, I am fast concluding that buying used is the path; maybe find a pre common rail, ECU diesel that can be worked on, and any boat I do look at will include a thorough going over by a well regarded diesel mechanic/surveyor .. finding one is always a challenge.

petrel

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
56' DMR, 31' BHM
Wow. It seems like top dollar for one of those old Cats, but I got a quote on a bobtail rebuilt 3208 which was 320hp and that was $13,500 before gauges and a wet elbow. Ended up w/ a 315hp B series ReCon and that was $18,500 w/o the core charge b/c I had one. Seems like a lot for such a little engine, but thank God I don't need another couple hundred horsepower. At least it's got two years of warranty included and the boat is set up for it.

5akman

Commander
Website
www.alldrinsalmon.com
Boat Make
40' Snowball gillnetter
I had committed to one of the Cummins also but the shop doing the R&R said they only had time to do a Cat for Cat swap and not a Cat for Cummins. Anyway, 4 months after the deadline they gave me, they had the engine installed and I missed the Cook Inlet fishing season!

petrel

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
56' DMR, 31' BHM
Four months would seem like an eternity. I get antsy when things are running a week or two behind, which of course they are, but I did get an engine really quick. Then it took another week to get the gear looked at. Anyhow, my instincts were right. Inside looked as bad as the outside.

Way it's going, I might miss some of the King Mack season here, but if it's like the last three years, I will not have missed many days of fishing.

Nighthawk

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
Carolina Classic
No affiliation with seller. Just a FYI for anyone interested.

Cummins Marine Engine. 480 QSB, Full Warranty | eBay

That is a really great price. My only reservation would be the manifold failure statement. That always means that salt water went into the engine which is why the manifold just wasn't replaced in the boat under warranty. Question is who is rolling the dice, the buyer or Cummins...their warranty is pretty darn good. http://www.cmdmarine.com/documents/4081872_0708.pdf

lobster783

Lieutenant
have never heard sea water get into a motor from the manifold..maybe coolant going into exhaust. Most water cooled manifolds are cooled by engine coolant not sea water

Eslang

Commander
Boat Make
43 Flowers
That is a really great price. My only reservation would be the manifold failure statement. That always means that salt water went into the engine which is why the manifold just wasn't replaced in the boat under warranty. Question is who is rolling the dice, the buyer or Cummins...their warranty is pretty darn good. http://www.cmdmarine.com/documents/4081872_0708.pdf

Call Tom Directly. He is a straight shooter & will tell you exactly what he repaired and why it failed. Good , Bad, Or indifferent, He tells it the way it is.
It was probably an exhaust manifold failure. I've always found him to be an honorable guy.
FWIW,
Eric

Alison Tuna

Captain
Boat Make
Privateer
I was just quoted 35,000 for 2 new 6BT cummins 300 horsepower with transmissions installed out the door....brand new

One of the largest Cummins dealers on the east coast

Top Bottom