Price of outboards???

greg

Captain
Ok, I get outboards. I've owned them, and they have a lot of advantages. BUT, I just don't get this one.

$724k, maarked down at the new england boat show to $685k. Wtf? :confused: You could buy just about any top end 42-48 DE for that kind of change.

Plus, it's ugly.

Grady375.jpg

CCtuna

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Some day...
I was there too and I agree...some of those bigger CC with triple outboards are going for close to a mil....who's buying these things??

MASTERENEGADE

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Had a DE, now 24' Privateer
Commercial drug runners.
The weekend warrior drug runners go to auctions instead.
;)

BOSBoatMan

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
36 Hatteras/13 Whaler/24 Sailfish
It's the so-called "dual console revolution" that's supposedly come about after the Great Recession of 2008. Personally you couldn't give me one of those friggin things. Like ya said, you could get a nice DE you could actually sleep on and do extensive cruising instead of a glorified skiboat like you pictured.

duxbait

Captain
I am good friends with a big Grady dealer, maybe the dealer selling that boat. All I can say is the things sell. Often its a families first time buying a boat and they need lessons on how to drive the things….

MASTERENEGADE

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Had a DE, now 24' Privateer
:rolleyes: Because its so complicated to drive a boat right

Actually it is getting hard. I was on my friends Malibu wakeboard boat and there is even a key anymore to start the engine, you had to hit the touch screen "start" button. Took me ten minutes to fire the darn thing up. The boat is a 2012 well the motor is cooked and within a month it had to go back cause he took some spray and it fried the touch screen.

duxbait

Captain
All this electronic crap. They have electric controls for the throttle and joy sticks to dock. The twin outboards steer individually so you can parallel dock using a joy stick. Be a great time to be stuck offshore with two motors pointing opposite directions and no idea how to fix it..

BOSBoatMan

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
36 Hatteras/13 Whaler/24 Sailfish
And the thing about the joysticks its gonna bring out even more of the idiots as well, the people that have zero business on the water...if ya can't figure it out ya don't have enough time invested in figuring it out, stay home already!

CCtuna

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Some day...
All this electronic crap. They have electric controls for the throttle and joy sticks to dock. The twin outboards steer individually so you can parallel dock using a joy stick. Be a great time to be stuck offshore with two motors pointing opposite directions and no idea how to fix it..

I talked to a whaler salesman about that feature and its a $30k add on!!! $30k all because you cant drive a goddamn boat and a twin screw at that! smh...

Blitzen

Admiral
Boat Make
Flowers Boat Works 46 hull #1, Flowers Boat Works 36 hull #1, Wayne Beal 28 Hull #1, Repco 30 1968,
I have driven plenty of boats with joy stick controls from trawlers to big sportys. All I can say it is slick with what you can do with a single control.
The reason why you see more and more joysticks is that it sells boats because it can make a hero out of a novice and gives the operator the confidence in handling the boat. From the sales perspective if that is what it takes to sell a boat, you bet it is going to be on the boat. It takes it to a whole new level.

Blitzen

Admiral
Boat Make
Flowers Boat Works 46 hull #1, Flowers Boat Works 36 hull #1, Wayne Beal 28 Hull #1, Repco 30 1968,
Spot on. You lose everything with that first hour

Sorry to say that the people that are buying these boats aren't thinking at all about the depreciation, they can afford it. They have the cash and it is a non issue. You would be surprised at how much money there is out there just waiting to be spent. It is the guys like us that worry about it and we are not in the same league.

Old Mud

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
Don
Boat Make
Ho Made

captjohn

Captain
Boat Make
Henriques
What's really overdue in the boat manufacturing business is the next revolution in manufacturing. What I'm talking about was how labor intense wooden boats were, then came fiberglass, and boats became less expensive to build and own, wooden boats just about disappeared over time. Fiberglass made boats available to a lot more people. But that was what, like 50 years ago, and all we have been able to do in all that time is refine the process. And in the process the cost of new fiberglass boats has become prohibitive except for those few, and they are fewer and fewer every day, that have a lot of money to spare. When will the next revolution in boat building take place? It better happen soon, before no one can afford to buy them.

Just my 2 cents.

El Mar

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
Bryan
Boat Make
43 Tiara Open DDEC, GradyWhite 226, 18 Donzi Classic, 15 Boston Whaler Sport ETec 60

Members online

Latest Posts

Top Bottom