Propeller Shaft Size Calculator | Safety Factor

Capt.Ben

Lieutenant Commander
Forum Sponsor
Website
www.retmarine.com
Boat Make
Sailfish
Hey all, I made a FREE propeller shaft size calculator for our website. I tried to make it as "intuitive" as possible and provide explanations of torsional yield and RPM effect in the text. This is still a work in progress and I'm hopeful for any improvement ideas from you guys.

Propeler Shaft Size Calculator – R.E. Thomas Marine Hardware

I know this topic comes up from time to time and thought it might be helpful to some looking for a better understanding of the process.

Diesel Jerry

Admiral
Lite User

Blitzen

Admiral
Boat Make
Flowers Boat Works 46 hull #1, Flowers Boat Works 36 hull #1, Wayne Beal 28 Hull #1, Repco 30 1968,
Thanks Ben, very kind of you to put this out there.

tunafishhkg

Captain
Boat Make
35 Duffy
Thanks Ben!! one question, I see the AQ22 is the only option as in other calculators so is the AQ22HS what is normally used or called AQ22?
Thanks

Capt.Ben

Lieutenant Commander
Forum Sponsor
Website
www.retmarine.com
Boat Make
Sailfish
Thanks Ben!! one question, I see the AQ22 is the only option as in other calculators so is the AQ22HS what is normally used or called AQ22?
Thanks
It’s all just tricky marketing semantics, but I’ll try my best to explain. The only thing that “really” matters is the torsional shear strength of the shaft regardless of what it is called. “Regular” AQ22 is required to have a minimum torsion strength of 70,000 psi up to sizes 2” in diameter. In diameters above 2” (2 1/4” and up), the minimum relative torsional strength starts dropping as mentioned in the article. This is where the “HS” comes in to play. Aqualoy defines high strength as having the same torsion strength as AQ17 (which incidentally is also 70,000) for sizes 2 1/4” in diameter all the way up to 6” in diameter (in other words, the relative torsional strength doesn’t start dropping off for “HS” as its diameter gets bigger). This is why, technically, AQHS is only available for shaft diameters above 2 1/4”…but that doesn’t mean you can’t get smaller diameter shafts (<2”) that also have higher strengths. For example, it’s not uncommon to find a 1 1/2” shaft that has a 80,000 or higher strength. Hopefully this helps explain and I didn’t make matters worse. Perhaps a YouTube explainer video is in order.

Capt.Ben

Lieutenant Commander
Forum Sponsor
Website
www.retmarine.com
Boat Make
Sailfish
yep, I was sitting around in my office today thinking “God, there must be something I can do to keep John from calling me every 5 minutes to run a shaft safety factor…WAIT, I got it!!!”
I swear there was some funny emojis in here that may this look and sound more funny.

tunafishhkg

Captain
Boat Make
35 Duffy
Appreciate the explanation Ben Thank you! I understand now why I could not see it and the reason for question is, I am going to put a QSB Cummins in my 25 Backfin with a 1.5" shaft. The calc with my setup is giving me a 4.7 safety factor that's in the recreational range so any higher would be a plus lol.

chortle

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Herreshoff Coquina, 1972 Jarvis Newman 36, PT11
Hey all, I made a FREE propeller shaft size calculator for our website. I tried to make it as "intuitive" as possible and provide explanations of torsional yield and RPM effect in the text. This is still a work in progress and I'm hopeful for any improvement ideas from you guys.

Propeler Shaft Size Calculator – R.E. Thomas Marine Hardware

I know this topic comes up from time to time and thought it might be helpful to some looking for a better understanding of the process.
That's quite handy, going to do one for max bearing spacing too?

Keelboater

Admiral
Boat Make
35' Bruno & Stillman
Nice job Captain. I'm sure that program will get a good workout from people on this forum. Quick and easy. To avoid any confusion for the masses, torsional shaft strength has nothing to do with shaft stiffness, which is what enables shaft whip and creates the need for center bearings. Maybe you can add this calculation to your web site. I'm simply mentioning this to let people know the difference between the two properties, both of which are important for a properly designed shaft.

Capt.Ben

Lieutenant Commander
Forum Sponsor
Website
www.retmarine.com
Boat Make
Sailfish
Nice job Captain. I'm sure that program will get a good workout from people on this forum. Quick and easy. To avoid any confusion for the masses, torsional shaft strength has nothing to do with shaft stiffness, which is what enables shaft whip and creates the need for center bearings. Maybe you can add this calculation to your web site. I'm simply mentioning this to let people know the difference between the two properties, both of which are important for a properly designed shaft.
Excellent points! I’m working on the bearing spacing calculator now with a nice discussion on the “modulus of elasticity” for steel shaft alloys.

Capt.Ben

Lieutenant Commander
Forum Sponsor
Website
www.retmarine.com
Boat Make
Sailfish

Here's the shaft bearing spacing formula:

Propeller Shaft Bearing Spacing Calculator – R.E. Thomas Marine Hardware

Top Bottom