Proposed RFD’s

Kiteboy

Captain
First Name
Liam
The RFDs have a July 1 start proposal. The rule is expected out in a couple weeks. Complete nonsense. Cant even get all the rule out before the start of the season.
They should be starting with it not open much and then adjust it so it is more open towards the end of the season. The hole thing is messed up.

plowin

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
33' flowers
I am not a fan of RFDs. I want to be able to fish every day. I also want multiple catch to be allowed. Apparently I am in the minority. Should be a good season for those that are in favor of the RFDs and 1 fish a day.

To bad this is not a quota based fishery. Then we could open it up and fish until the quota was caught. When its caught move on to something else. There will not be more money for fall caught fish, its been proven over and over and over.

Downrigga

Admiral
Boat Make
36' NB
I am not a fan of RFDs. I want to be able to fish every day. I also want multiple catch to be allowed. Apparently I am in the minority. Should be a good season for those that are in favor of the RFDs and 1 fish a day.

To bad this is not a quota based fishery. Then we could open it up and fish until the quota was caught. When its caught move on to something else. There will not be more money for fall caught fish, its been proven over and over and over.
Nov fish fetched more scratch. Summer fish can flood the docks and the buyers dont want them if its to many at once.

Alext123

Lieutenant Commander
First Name
Alex
Isn’t the point of rfd to be able to spread quota out for the whole season so we don’t have less then a week in august? Why start off with 3 fish and no rfd then? For me the rfd’s work cause I do it part time but for those true commercial guys I don’t know how you can make any money catching 1 a day with rfd’s. Cost of fuel and gear goes up and fish prices go down

dexterdog1

Lieutenant
The RFDs have a July 1 start proposal. The rule is expected out in a couple weeks. Complete nonsense. Cant even get all the rule out before the start of the season.
I thought they were mandated to have the rules out before the season starts. After all these years they still suck!!!!

BlueMack

Captain
Boat Make
Bruno & Stillman 35
Isn’t the point of rfd to be able to spread quota out for the whole season so we don’t have less then a week in august? Why start off with 3 fish and no rfd then? For me the rfd’s work cause I do it part time but for those true commercial guys I don’t know how you can make any money catching 1 a day with rfd’s. Cost of fuel and gear goes up and fish prices go down
Historically June is not a big landing month for fish north of the cape, 3 fish a day gives canyon fishermen and General cat harpoon boats a chance to catch. Gulf of Maine isn’t the only fishery regulated in the northern category, all that being said NMFS can change catch limits and institute RFD’s at any point, I think the regulations say 3 days notice. There’s a lot of different “stake holders” in the game, no one rule is going to work for everyone. Everyone should just take a deep breath and relax, just go fishing and enjoy. If you happen to get 3 on rod and reel in June and you can handle them, then great, however most boats can’t handle more than one fish anyhow.

plowin

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
33' flowers
The one thing that has always been the key to good prices has been supply and demand. Not many fish on the market and prices are good (early season) lots of fish around and the prices are not as strong(fall).

plowin

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
33' flowers
I thought they were mandated to have the rules out before the season starts. After all these years they still suck!!!!
The agency is a pathetic joke. How in Christ’s creation are you supposed to pick a category that your going to fish in if all of the rules governing the fishery have not been stated prior to the start of the fishery.

Downrigga

Admiral
Boat Make
36' NB
The one thing that has always been the key to good prices has been supply and demand. Not many fish on the market and prices are good (early season) lots of fish around and the prices are not as strong(fall).
Buyers dont have to buy the fish but they do. Lots more fish hitting the docks in Aug than Nov. I can only speak from my experience though.

Kiteboy

Captain
First Name
Liam
Buyers dont have to buy the fish but they do. Lots more fish hitting the docks in Aug than Nov. I can only speak from my experience though.
Yes because only the fisherman doing it for a living or good fisherman who care enough to skip work and to go out in the cold. Rather then 100s of clueless people on center consoles who get lucky every once in a while. There are a lot less people fishing then but mostly all good fisherman.

RandyCC

Ensign
Yes because only the fisherman doing it for a living or good fisherman who care enough to skip work and to go out in the cold. Rather then 100s of clueless people on center consoles who get lucky every once in a while. There are a lot less people fishing then but mostly all good fisherman.
Is one of the qualifying factors in being serious having a downeast boat not a center console

Kiteboy

Captain
First Name
Liam
Is one of the qualifying factors in being serious having a downeast boat not a center console
No there are a few center consoles go out when we stay in, and center consoles who catch a lot more fisg then us. My point was there are not a hundred center consoles who have no idea what they are doing out there. For example you are not going to see a jet ski with a 130 on the back of it out there in December, not very rare to see one in the middle of summer.

Kiteboy

Captain
First Name
Liam
Lol good one. I think his point is in the late fall the weather is different and many boats are put away for the year.
Ya if you are serious and or a commercial fisherman for a living you will be out there in November and December. If you are doing it for fun and are not very serious your boat will be put away and you will be working.

Captinlon

Commander
Boat Make
32 H & H
If I have to have RFD and only 3 fish a week, why let not let us pick the days and only land 3 fish for the week. If I want to go out and lay over and come in with 3 fish than ok, I can't fish the rest of the week. Just my thoughts.

Downrigga

Admiral
Boat Make
36' NB
If I have to have RFD and only 3 fish a week, why let not let us pick the days and only land 3 fish for the week. If I want to go out and lay over and come in with 3 fish than ok, I can't fish the rest of the week. Just my thoughts.
Its an excellent idea but there is no way to enforce it would be my guess. Would buddys be out helping buddys land fish ? I dont know. Tags maybe? It would make a trip to georges worth while. I would be in favor of it.

Kiteboy

Captain
First Name
Liam
Its an excellent idea but there is no way to enforce it would be my guess. Would buddys be out helping buddys land fish ? I dont know. Tags maybe? It would make a trip to georges worth while. I would be in favor of it.
I would also like that a lot more, probably would have 4 tags a week or however many they want us taking a week. That way you can go to George’s and get your fish for the week or go out and stay out until you get your fish.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom