Props Pair Used-How to establish fair asking price?

Discussion in 'Downeast Engine Room' started by Goldwatch, Aug 20, 2019.

1. Goldwatch

Goldwatch Member

I have a pair of 26X24 used ni-bral props that came from my Chris Craft 48' with Cats 3208ta 375 HP engines. I would like to sell the props but would like advice of how to establish a fair asking price. Would appreciate your input.
    LH 1.jpg LH 1.jpg LH 2.jpg LH 3.jpg LH 4.jpg LH 5.jpg RH 1.jpg RH 2.jpg RH 3.jpg RH 4.jpg

2. eyecatcher

eyecatcher Senior Member

Well they would make a good pair of spares or test props for someone looking for that size. RH is a Michigan Dyna Quad from 10/2003 the other LH is Federal Equi Poise from 8/1990. Good thing is it looks like black dog has scanned them. They usually keep records of the props they work on. The bad thing is for someone looking for a matched set, these are not. Even though they are the same pitch and diameter the blade chord (geometry thickness camber) is slightly different. They are not terrible, probably go for 500-600 for the older 800-900 for the newer be my best guess without a computer scan considering they may need to be reconditioned.

Goldwatch likes this.
  3. Goldwatch

Goldwatch Member

4. Goldwatch

Goldwatch Member

Thanks eyecatcher for your quick reply. The info you provided is exactly what I needed.
    My compliments to you and the other members on this forum for your willingness to take the time to help other members sharing your knowledge.

5. eyecatcher

eyecatcher Senior Member

No problem. It really comes down to age and condition and tolerances. Pictures dont't tell the entire picture but they dont appear to have much corrosion or pitting. Usually that is a good indication that they were taken care of and the metals used in the casting were of high quality. Every time they get reconditoned they get welded, sanded and polished. Some times they get thinner over time. If they were ever bent and pressed back the metal can weaken also. Hope that helps.

Goldwatch likes this.
  6. Goldwatch

Goldwatch Member

Your comment about pitting reminds me, the boat lived its life in the Lake Huron and Tennessee River areas when I bought her. The props are a third set of spares I never used.
    Your comment about "black dog" scanning. What does that mean and can I possibly research those records?

7. eyecatcher

eyecatcher Senior Member

You would have to contact them and provide the stamped information on the hub. They can tell you historically what they did to it. But that won't tell you the current condition. Check out their website or give a shop a call. They use a computerized tool called prop scan to measure the tolerances. Hale has one that prop shops use called MRI. These tools can help them adjust the prop to make it accurate and it can also be used blueprint the prop too so that results can be repeatable if you bring it back to them. Most good shops have either a prop scan or hale mri tool, if you bring it somewhere they can measure the prop and give you a print out, that would help in determining the condition of the blades and aid in your sale.

Goldwatch likes this.
  8. Toolate

Toolate Captain

Building contractor
    Boat Make:
    1998 36' Sabre Express CAT 3116TA's, 2015 ROS Scotia 16 Etec 50
    Its also fair to say they are worth what someone might pay. Used prop market is odd- you might get lucky and find someone looking for exactly that but around here it would be just one and as a non-matching pair I think I might pass knowing they would have to go be conditioned for a couple hundred bucks each and I would want to talk to the prop shop before sending these to them to make sure they wouldnt tell me they couldnt make them match in the end. Just saying @Goldwatch

Good pics of props that appear to be in great shape but this is where the rubber meets the road so to speak and it has to be right from the start.

9. Goldwatch

Goldwatch Member

10. Goldwatch

Goldwatch Member

Thanks eyecatcher, Dover NH is the closest prop shop and I am in Cape Neddick Maine. I'll call them and see if they will scan them for me. Thanks again for your help.