Props

fiberglassmagic

Lieutenant Commander
I have been testing props this year,5 haul outs and 4 props to be exact.Bosler has been very patient with me,lol.The best peformance has come from a unexpected prop.Acme props are fully cnc manufactured and bosler has been swapping them for no charge.The best result was a three blade with the same blade area as a 4 blade, but has a lot of rake for bow lift.The bite feels as good as the four blade into the wind and tide but even underproped by 150rpm so i dont load the engine the boat is faster than ever. 20 kts cruise at 2100 and 26 kts at 2550,the engine will turn 2650 top so i may add some cup to knock off 75 rpm.Bottom line is less time running off shore because boat is faster,and more speed at same throttle and lower egt means better economy.I COULDENT BE HAPPIER WITH BOSLER.HOWS THAT FOR A REVIEW OF A COMPANY?IF you call them tell them tom at eurotechnic sent you ......cant wait to go fishing

Blitzen

Admiral
Boat Make
Flowers Boat Works 46 hull #1, Flowers Boat Works 36 hull #1, Wayne Beal 28 Hull #1, Repco 30 1968,
Glad it has worked out for you. How did you find the bow lift to be with different props, was it noticeable from the helm with all the different props? Where all things consistent while testing the propellers?

tunaorlater

Admiral
Boat Make
40' Northern bay
We used bosler for the prop on a 22 sisu we recently redid. The boat ended up with a 18 knot cruise with. 4cyl gas engine, anyone who knows the sisu hull knows that's a great number. Acme was a great co to deal with. The first prop was off a few turns so it was shipped back and a new prop sent, no repitching. I am most likely going to buy a new acme for the nb this winter because of the success I've heard of with other boats.

What size Acme did you end up with? I forget the power in your Harris?

Bill_N

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
31' JC Rowdy Girl
I have been testing props this year,5 haul outs and 4 props to be exact.Bosler has been very patient with me,lol.The best peformance has come from a unexpected prop.Acme props are fully cnc manufactured and bosler has been swapping them for no charge.The best result was a three blade with the same blade area as a 4 blade, but has a lot of rake for bow lift.The bite feels as good as the four blade into the wind and tide but even underproped by 150rpm so i dont load the engine the boat is faster than ever. 20 kts cruise at 2100 and 26 kts at 2550,the engine will turn 2650 top so i may add some cup to knock off 75 rpm.Bottom line is less time running off shore because boat is faster,and more speed at same throttle and lower egt means better economy.I COULDENT BE HAPPIER WITH BOSLER.HOWS THAT FOR A REVIEW OF A COMPANY?IF you call them tell them tom at eurotechnic sent you ......cant wait to go fishing

What boat and power do you have?

backman

Captain
Boat Make
Northern Bay 36
I *loved* my Acme 18 X 26's on my Carolina Classic 28 - they had incredible mid range torque in the transition to plane and were all around a few knots faster in that 33 knot boat.

My one caveat/warning was that the tips of the Acme's blades were really thin in comparison to the roots and I was always dinging a blade on something as innocuous as a pot line.

fiberglassmagic

Lieutenant Commander
671 ti

The boat is a 36 ft harris with a 6-71 ti 430 shaft hp,450 flywheel hp.......rake lifts bow ,both diameter and dar lift stern(relative to shaft rpm)...in my case prop shoe added too much stern lift and I experimented with 4 blade props with constant pitch first.we cupped prop to help load prop and drop stern but 24 in wheel still provided too much stern lift.next was a 23'' cjr ultrascew prop with variable pitch with little rake but was high dar and scewed blade design,peformance was ok but egt on engine was high.Next was a 22 square acme constant pitch with heavy cupping (.080 cup only in center of blade).the diameter seemed small for boat but performance was good light but laggy when heavy with fuel bait etc.Next was a 22 in 3 blade acme with equal blade area to 4 blade,heavy rake (almost does not fit between strut and rudder)and scewed blade design,with .075 cup in center of blade.This prop looks like a high performance outboard prop without the exhaust hub.The bow is up just enough to reduce drag and the boat hauls for the amount of hp in, it even overturns by 150 rpm and is still faster at cruise than 4 blades.Realy what I need is one more inch of diameter and the same prop but they don't make that size....Im just going to cup blades aprox .125 to .150 and that should drop rpm 75 and give more bite pushing through slop.Engine will still overturn by 75 rpm loaded but it will live longer that way....Im going to get creative with grinder on shoe and keel over winter and see if I can pick up any more speed or fuel economy.....cruise rpm is 2300 according to Detroit but all I need is 2000 to 2100 or and im happy and pretty good on fuel at that speed.FORGOT to mention with bow up boat does not bow steer in following sea, realy nice to set autopilot in following sea instead of white knuckle ride.

Last edited:

MASTERENEGADE

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Had a DE, now 24' Privateer
Put a cockpit helm in the boat and run the boat from the back. That'll eliminate your sterm lift Tom..lol

I know im gonna pay for this next time I see you

fiberglassmagic

Lieutenant Commander
john

that's a good idea ,if I lose weight boat may go faster.....Is that your excuse.lol.................AND SET UP YOUR VOICEMAIL,HOW THE HELL AM I SUPPOSE TO CALL AND YELL AT YOU IF YOUR PHONE DOES NOT WORK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

MASTERENEGADE

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Had a DE, now 24' Privateer
Thats why I dont have it set up. I dont wanna hear the bitching and moaning haha

Toolate

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
Ben
Boat Make
1998 36' Sabre Express CAT 3116TA's, 2015 ROS Scotia 16 Etec 50

fiberglassmagic

Lieutenant Commander
return

I don't know what a 20'' wheel costs but a 24 will cost 22 to $2500.The deal with acme is you buy a prop if the results are not satisfactory acme will send another.The next prop could be a second meaning it was tested on someones boat and returned.IF that prop works you keep it and so on.They don't just send props for the sake of you trying them out,peformance has to less than expected.My boat was a problem because of shoe causing lift and the hull was never designed for this much horsepower (cant swing large wheel).As far as I know just acme props do this.Bosler is a dealer and the best prop shop I have ever dealt with..... 631-286-0479 ask for tom and tell them eurotechnic sent you.

Toolate

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
Ben
Boat Make

fiberglassmagic

Lieutenant Commander
Michigan props

Michigan props don't hold a candle to acme in my opinion.The dqx is a copy of a acme and is good but still not the same.Best I did with a dqx last year was 19.5 knots top and 17 cruise.

Toolate

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
Ben
Boat Make
Top Bottom