Pros/Cons of E Tec vs Four Stroke Outboard

longislander89

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
23 seacraft
I can not comment too much on the e-tec. I have heard half the people love them half the people aren't too happy. This is from multiple people on the service side.

The suzuki I have heard very good review when they run. They turn a bigger wheel, are powerful for the rating/displacement/weight. Guys say the are very reliable

The problem in my area (Long Island) is service. I have heard horror stories about getting parts and waiting multiple weeks. The few guys who do service them are always back logged with work.

The Yamaha I have hundreds if not thousands of hours of personal experience with. The F150 is powerful strong inline 4 design. Very fuel efficient. Service and warranty are top notch. You could get the motor worked on and get parts in Africa if you needed to.

Out of hundreds of Yamaha F150's we sold and serviced I only saw 1 blow up and need to get rebuild and it was most likely user error with the owner beating the shit out of it.

I run a Contender 23/25T with a pair of them and we are pushing 2000hrs. They are 2005 motors. The only thing is the lower units are getting loud when shifting.

If it were me I'd go Yamaha for resale, parts/service/warranty, and reliability It may not be the fasted/efficient (it could be i just don't know), but it is damn near bullet proof.

twister

Captain
Boat Make
37 Mitchell cove
I would go 4 stroke have had good luck fishing on a boat that has had one and he runs that boat basically 5 days a week for 4 years. and we have 2 or 3 places to get parts around here

WoundUpMarine

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
John
Boat Make
26' Duffy, 23' Seaway, 14' Holland

blackdiamond296

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
Alan Johnson 28 w/ 260 Yanmar
Yamaha 4 Stroke without question. Plus the fact that you're looking at the 150hp range- that particular F150 is one of the best, most reliable in the Yamaha line to boot!

Tunascapes

Commander
I own 2 etecs, a 225 and a 90. I think the previous statement about half like and half dislike is pretty accurate. The 225 has needed all new injectors and fuel pump that envirude actually jump on to replace. Since then thing have been great.

In the 150 range the Yamaha is supposed to be their best engine. I would lean that route if you need a 150.

Prdlobster

Commander
I got a couple quotes for both. It seems like the price is right for the E Tec and Envinrude will even finance it for a reasonable rate. The Yamaha/Suzuki seem to be the most reliable and popular.

pugsley

Captain
the first etecs were junk, i think they have fixed them up pretty good, i have a friend that crabs with a 115 and two years he hasn't taken the cover off yet probably over 2000 hours. that being said i think the 150 yamaha is probably the best ob on the market. stay away from the suzukis, guys here are having trouble stripping out the drive shafts, and rotting out.

Top Bottom