Protective Plastic

Ripcat

Commander
Anyone know where to get some protective plastic to cover the front of my hull with for transport? I've been told there's a black plastic out there that'll stick to the hull...also imagine there's a good chance it'll fly off during transport but some protection is better than none.

Open to opinions if anyone has a better method or product.

MDI45

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
45MDI /28WB
Can I ask why your worried about it.....I have had a few boats brought down from Maine and never had anything happen to the hull......maybe hit a tree limb here and there with the wheel house....but I don't think you need to cover the hull

Raider Ronnie

Vice Admiral
Lite User
Website
www.bostonharborcharters.com
Boat Make
33 Flowers.

Robert M

Captain
Boat Make
2000 Genral Marine 31 duffy Hull
Last edited:

plowin

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
33' flowers
Contact ken flower (mainely boats) when my boat was in the shop they had a rolled on material that did a great job protecting the hull. Prevented anything from bumps to scuffs from ply wood, really worked great and was very durable and then peeled right off.

Ripcat

Commander
Thanks folks...I was on the fence and spoke to some folks who's opinion was that I should. Figured I'd investigate a bit further...gonna look into this rolled product if anything.

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
Gloucester to Seattle on trailer, Seattle to Whittier Alaska on barge, no wrap, no tarps no damage.

Powderpro

Admiral
Website
www.oneilboats.com
Boat Make
O'Neil
I've towed 2 downeast boats Coast to Coast (Maine to Washington) and have had zero damage, no rock chips, etc. The boats did need washed and some bugs scrubbed off. I guess if it was a really expensive, high end boat I would consider protecting it, but my experience has shown that a wrap is not necessary. Good luck.

Ripcat

Commander
Yeah I'm not going to worry about it. My brother and I are driving from NH to NC, down on thursday and back on sunday, to prep the boat to come home...time constrained so not gonna bother.

Pitou

Commander
First Name
Kevin
Boat Make
'06 Albin 31 TE
My Albin is under contract and the buyer is transporting from MA to CA and is having the hull covered in TRANSPORT WRAP from the waterline to the rub rail and covering the front wind screen as well. This is the same product used to cover new cars when shipped. Basically a light shrink wrap that is adhered directly to the hull surface with no adhesive residue left behind when removed. Similar to Preservation Tape.

I'd go with nothing as opposed to shrink wrapping. Road dirt will tend to get under the wrap and act as an abrasive in between the wrap and hull at 70 mph.

Here's a link to the TRANSPORT WRAP website: TRANSPORTWRAP - Protect your Vehicle During Auto Transport with Plastic White Vinyl Wrap

Safe travels.

Top Bottom