Quad Berth

Tmccar1

Lieutenant
Website
www.EastCoastWreckDiving.com
Boat Make
Magna
Hey everyone,
So I put a deposit on a boat and now just need to survey and sea trial her. One issue I've got is I need a quad berth and she only has a V now. Has anyone tackled this project or have a source for a build? I need ideas and photos of how i'll do it. Figure I should start researching now so I can start ASAP if the deal goes through! Thanks!
-Tom

JimRP31

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Willis Beal/RP 31
Any current pictures would be helpful. Do you want to add or have space for bunks above the V-Berth. Is their alternate space to add the berths.

Tmccar1

Lieutenant
Website
Boat Make
Magna
Any current pictures would be helpful. Do you want to add or have space for bunks above the V-Berth. Is their alternate space to add the berths.

Photo attached. There's a fridge built into the storage below the existing berth. My two options are tear it all out and start from scratch or put the bunks above it. The prior is alot more work and I lose the only fridge in the boat. If I did the later i'm concerned about there being enough head space. PS- the headliner is coming down, that bulge isn't structural. ;-)

VBerth.jpg

Last edited:

JimRP31

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Willis Beal/RP 31
Thanks for the photo. First don't lose the fridge. You may not think you will used it much but it you will miss it it if you take it out. Look at newer fridge models that take up less space but have the same interior space as you current fridge. Or look at alternate locations for the fridge.

Obviously if you tear everything out you will have a clean slate and you will be able to design what will work best for you. If you can gain space under the v-berth by moving/ getting a smaller fridge. This may allow you to lower the existing V-berth and gain head room. The first step I would do is peal back the head liner and take a few measurements. Even though you say it will come down it is good to know exactly how much room you will gain. Then get some card board and make some mock ups of option. Best approach in MHO is to make a lot of cardboard mock up before you start cutting and removing stuff. In the end it will save you time.

Tmccar1

Lieutenant
Website
Boat Make
Magna
So what the hell kinda vessel is this? Better be a downeast, guy

It's a Novi. :grin: There's no Novi forum though! Can't we all just get along!!! ;)

Thanks for the photo. First don't lose the fridge. You may not think you will used it much but it you will miss it it if you take it out. Look at newer fridge models that take up less space but have the same interior space as you current fridge. Or look at alternate locations for the fridge.

Obviously if you tear everything out you will have a clean slate and you will be able to design what will work best for you. If you can gain space under the v-berth by moving/ getting a smaller fridge. This may allow you to lower the existing V-berth and gain head room. The first step I would do is peal back the head liner and take a few measurements. Even though you say it will come down it is good to know exactly how much room you will gain. Then get some card board and make some mock ups of option. Best approach in MHO is to make a lot of cardboard mock up before you start cutting and removing stuff. In the end it will save you time.

Thanks so much for the advice. I think my other big thing is what's the best method to secure top bunks. I'm also considering just making pipe berths for now but I don't think that'll go over well with customers as a long term solution.

BOSBoatMan

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
36 Hatteras/13 Whaler/24 Sailfish
Oh that's more than fine. Just wanted to make sure you weren't a poser with a Parker or a Steiger or something...what make is it? Let see some pictures.

Tmccar1

Lieutenant
Website
Boat Make
Magna
It's a 40' Searay Motoryacht..... Just kiddin'. It's a 45' Magna (now Millenium). Single CAT C12, bow thruster, great electronics setup. Full Galley Down. Head with separate shower. Swim platform, etc. I'm going to be running offshore overnight diving expeditions and hopefully some tuna trips mixed in. She fits the bill for a nice mix between comfort and utility for me.

photo 1.jpg

photo 2.jpg

photo 3.jpg

Boat Salon.jpg

Last edited:

Magician

Lieutenant
My old 35 Duffy had a V-Berth with 1 additional bunk on each side above the V-berth worked pretty well, plenty of room... I'll see if I can find a pic

Powderpro

Admiral
Website
www.oneilboats.com
Boat Make
O'Neil
If my memory serves me right, I believe the lower bunk was about 17" tall from the floor, then of course you add 4" more inches for cushions, so the height of the top of the lower cushions off the floor is 21". Then I think there was about a 24" - 27" space between the top of the lower cushion and the bottom of the top bunk. If your top bunk is 48" off the floor and add in 4" for the cushion, your top bunk would be overall 52" above the floor. If that's the case, then that will give you about a 24" space between your top bunk and the ceiling (assuming your ceiling is about 6'4" tall). If your ceiling is taller, then you can space things out a little more, if it's shorter, than the spacings will have to be closer. I have found that about 24"-27" height above your bunk is adequate and comfortable. The key is getting your lower bunk low enough to have enough room for the upper level bunks.

These next 4 pics are of a 32' boat I built in 2011.

DSCN6391 - Copy.JPG

DSCN6392 - Copy.JPG

DSCN6393 - Copy.JPG

DSCN6394 - Copy.JPG

Tmccar1

Lieutenant
Website
Boat Make
Magna
Have that table drop down and have a place in the wheel house

Already does. I'd like to sleep 7-9 people on her for overnighters.

Right now I could do...
2 crew on the floor of salon
2 in v berth
1 at drop down table:

for a total of 5

I want to add...
2 bunks above v-berth
1 on a bed i'll make for the long salon countertop
1 on a piece i'll make for the forward facing bench in the salon port of the helm

for a total of 9 (7 in actual beds)

We'll see!

Powderpro

Admiral
Website
www.oneilboats.com
Boat Make
O'Neil
The top bunks were made from 5/8" marine plywood. The vertical portion of the upper bunk that forms the edge/trim that keeps the cushion in place is also 5/8" plywood that is about 4" tall. That edge provides a lot of support and strength. The higher that edge is, the stronger it will be, just like a floor joist. If you want to keep a kid from rolling out of the bunk, you could raise that edge a bit.

Attaching it to the wall consisted of 1 layer of 1708 biaxial and 1 layer of 1.5 oz. mat, top and bottom. You could have put a 400lb dude on either top bunk and it wasn't going anywhere, very solid. I also put a 2x3 on the underneath side, down the middle of the upper bunks length ways, for extra support.

Last edited:

Overkill

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
44 Calvin Beal
If my memory serves me right, I believe the lower bunk was about 17" tall from the floor, then of course you add 4" more inches for cushions, so the height of the top of the lower cushions off the floor is 21". Then I think there was about a 24" - 27" space between the top of the lower cushion and the bottom of the top bunk. If your top bunk is 48" off the floor and add in 4" for the cushion, your top bunk would be overall 52" above the floor. If that's the case, then that will give you about a 24" space between your top bunk and the ceiling (assuming your ceiling is about 6'4" tall). If your ceiling is taller, then you can space things out a little more, if it's shorter, than the spacings will have to be closer. I have found that about 24"-27" height above your bunk is adequate and comfortable. The key is getting your lower bunk low enough to have enough room for the upper level bunks.

These next 4 pics are of a 32' boat I built in 2011.

The last time I had a dockside inspection the inspector told me the rails on the sides of my bunks needed to be two inches higher than the cushions. He gave me a sticker but said to take them out before he came next time. I have not heard this before, I don't know if it's something new or just some obscure rule nobody knows about. Just something to think about.

MDI45

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
45MDI /28WB
The last time I had a dockside inspection the inspector told me the rails on the sides of my bunks needed to be two inches higher than the cushions. He gave me a sticker but said to take them out before he came next time. I have not heard this before, I don't know if it's something new or just some obscure rule nobody knows about. Just something to think about.
Tell him its a shelf with a cushion not a bunk....another words tell him F off....jackass

Overkill

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
44 Calvin Beal
Tell him its a shelf with a cushion not a bunk....another words tell him F off....jackass

That's what he said, with cushions it's a bunk without it's just storage. I don't do charters but if I did I would worry about some idiot who can just barely keep his feet under him on a flat day getting hurt.

Powderpro

Admiral
Website
www.oneilboats.com
Boat Make
O'Neil

Sounds like removing the cushions for the inspection is a way around this rule that I have never heard of before. But like I said in a earlier post, if kids are going to use the upper bunk, I would be raising that trim to keep them in at night.

Top Bottom