Question about hiring a deckhand.

Matt Is Back

Ensign
Hello gents!
I've been on the site for a while and since I do not own a boat, let alone a beautiful downeaster, I have kept to myself. I have a simple question about deckhand work.

Do you feel that it is unprofessional if I call up charter boat captains asking whether or not they have work available or schedule a time to meet them at the dock to discuss work. I know traditionally guys will talk to the captains in person, which I do not have a problem doing, but I may be able to reach out to more people by phone.

And if it helps any, I do not have any experience on charter or commercial boats. I do, however, have a long background of boating and fishing.

Thanks guys, I appreciate any advice given.
Matt.

Frigate

Captain
Boat Make
38' Duffy/Flower
Matt,

What you need to know about being a mate on a charter boat:

First in addition to, "have a long background of boating and fishing." there is a different skill set needed.

Second as a mate you are in a different environment than recreational fishermen.

That said you need to talk to Captains personally so they see if you have any of the skill sets in the first thing I said.

starrfish

Commander
Boat Make
35 duffy
by the time the boats in the water the guy running it should have a really good idea about whos with him already, and there personal schedule. so a phone call now is not a bad idea at all..i have had about 6 calls already, every spring... a couple guys have had no experience in the charter biz, couple guys have, but there reputation preceeds them.
sometimes a charter capt needs a guy for a day or 2 for a pile of reasons..mate sick, family issue, injured (hook in the hand, stiches and cant get it wet) etc.
so id call the guy who seemd like the best choice when i spoke with them in the spring (and maybee i asked around to see who he was, and if anyone else has had him on their boat)..and for a day or 2, i can make it work with someone who is upfront about there ability,can talk to the charter, not get pissed about what they talk about etc..
its kinda like a working interview, if it goes well, i`ll keep your info and invite ya back even if its to fish on our own to show you more 'how to'.
on the other hand, if your blabbin about how you hooked up with 3 drunk chicks last night, to the dad with 3 daughters that you didnt know about.....your done

Badlatitude

Rear Admiral
If you are looking to gain some offshore mate time in a non paid position. check out the offshore section of Noreast.com there is a pinned thread of guys who are looking for crew or want to crew. It might be a good outlet to get in the game.

tomy

Commander
Boat Make
36 Wayne Beal
The fishing part of the job is important. The Seamanship part is HUGE. better know your way around boats. ya know starboard from port etc. can run boat in pinch right?..and where are ya looking to work.Cape Ann? Cape Cod? good luck.

reelsportfishing

Lieutenant Commander
Website
www.ReeltoReelSportfishing.com
Boat Make
1999 40' Young Brothers
Matt, I would email the president of the local charter boat association. What he will do is send out an email to the members. If anyone is looking they will usually call you. If you're reliable and available at a moments notice you should have a pretty good shot. Good luck! Everyone has to start somewhere.

WRHardie

Commander
I'm unfortunately living in Ohio right now but bou
Always be 100% and don't be afraid of saying what you don't know. Honesty and no bullshit go a long way. Working charters is way different from going out on a bros boat, you gotta be marriage counselor, bar tender, stand up comic, coach and teacher all the time. Gotta be a people person, when the fishing sucks who do think the sports look to? Honestly it wears on you after a while, it takes a certain kind of person. If I were you I would look at headboats first, if you can deal with the responsibilities that come with 80 people then smaller charters are a breeze. Good Luck!

whitkid22

Ensign
Find a captain and charter boat that have a good reputation.

Advice to any mate

#1 Don't be a know it all.

#2 Work your way up even if it is 1 day at a time.

#3 If you are a people person, you are all set. If not, it won't work. Customer safety, customer fun etc. Knowing about fishing doesn't matter. In fact, I find it better if my mates know nothing because then I don't have to change everything they thought they knew.

#4 Meet with the captain in person so you can see if he is bullshitting you or vicaversa.

#5 Don't talk too much.

Good luck.

Matt Is Back

Ensign
I called up a few captains. I almost landed a spot but I told him I do not have that much experience filleting fish. Do you think it would be a good idea to call them back telling them that I am willing to work without pay until I can learn how to do the basics? I would not mind doing that. I just really want to get out on the water.

tomy

Commander
Boat Make
36 Wayne Beal
just realized that the NOREAST site has a ton of New York boats advertizing charters. try them all.:eek:
( then you can come back to the BEST site...lol)

Matt Is Back

Ensign
Thanks for the help guys. I found a captain willing to hire me. Went out last and liked it a lot. The whole time I followed another mate around and he told me everything I needed to do. I am confident I can do all those things for the rest of my time on the boat.
Thanks again. If you would like to be kept posted on my progress, feel free to message me.

hntrss

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
31 Duffy
Absolutely! Good luck to you. So many of us started the same way. Would love to hear more from you

Members online

Latest Posts

Top Bottom