Question for Downeast boat builders

manni-yunk

Commander
im trying to learn as much as I can. Im strongly considering having a boat built and to me this is a huge dollar amount - but worth it.

That being said, Ive got it narrowed down to 2 builders with 1 being way out in the lead. Ive done several references and the owner/builder has been great in answering all of my questions and requests. It really is a testament to the way you treat people when every single person Ive spoken with both a) loves their boat and b) cant say enough good things about their experience from working with the builder.

Now to my questions.

1) Is it normal/OK for a 40+ ft boat to NOT have full length longitudal stringers? Several Bulkheads (5 or 6) that are all connected bow to stern with fiberglass grid pirces, but no actual full length stringers. I am guessing there are several ways to make a boat strong but at first glance, it seems odd.

2) Are most Keels left hollow or is it better to fill them in?

3) Is there any forumula or rough estimate as to how deep a keel should be? Ive been in contact with one builder who says one of their advantages is the greater depth of his keel compared to the other (whom he knows Im leaning toward the other).

4) Is it possible to "Overpower" a downeast boat? Ive spent the last 10 years with what I would consider to be an underpowered 33' Bertram. I would rather have to much HP in a large single inboard and run at a lower RPM than spend the next 20 years underpowered. Because of this I am considering 850 HP when the builder thinks I should be fine with 705. Any negative to this?

If I go through with this - I only want to do it once, so Im being kind of a PITA and I realize it but if Im going to spend more on a boat, than I did my first house, I think I need to be that way!!!

Best part is we were away in the Keys last week and I gave my wife the choice. Instead of doing this boat build - we could be smart and buy a houe down there. Her answer - "Id rather see you get the boat"....I was shocked!!!!

BillD

Admiral
Portsmouth NH, boating out of the mighty Merrimack
Boat Make
25 Terry Jason with Cummins 370 power
Manni,

You are in a neat position. House in the Keys or a new 40 footer AND your wife making the decision to build the boat.

Here's an idea.

Get the home in the Keys and build a 29-30 footer with 480 hp (29 H&H comes to mind or the new 30 Calvin Beal) and have a trailer built for the boat.

Haul the boat back and forth between the Keys and your primary home (??location??) and have the best of both worlds.:D

You might even break even $$ wise ;)

manni-yunk

Commander
A little more insite into the Keys thing.

We already have a small beach house in NJ. She knows that I am a pain when a storm goes through, or when renters are there, or.....when we havent been there in months and Im worried about everything (theft, utilities left on, etc). Her point was that with a house all the way down in South Florida - Id be a mess. She's right! Plus while a house is the better investment - the boat will get significantly more use.

The smart move would to do NOTHING and save more. But, you only live once.

I would look at a 29-30 footer but with my unique needs (family cruising for 5 including vacations at different ports, offshore fishing, inshore fishing, and a majority of NJ scuba diving which takes up loads of space) - I cant get the layout I need into that size.

We do this now in a Bertram 33 so I know all to well the limitations. The last 10 years have given me a lot of ideas on how I would lay everything out.

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
How can you compare the bert deck space to a 30-35 DE ??? I think Bill has a excellent idea but i already have a 29 H&H with a trailer:rolleyes: and i'm thinking of hauling the boat 4500 miles so i can use it more. Screw saving money I've never seen a Brinks armored truck following a hearse !! The family will remember you and the good times on the boat long after your taking the dirt nap !!

Last edited:

manni-yunk

Commander
How can you compare the bert deck space to a 30-35 DE ??? I think Bill has a excellent idea but i already have a 29 H&H with a trailer:rolleyes: and i'm thinking of hauling the boat 4500 miles so i can use it more. Screw saving money I've never seen a Brinks armored truck following a hearse !! The family will remember you and the good times on the boat long after your taking the dirt nap !!

No one compared the Bert deck space to anything. It is overall space - deck, interior, etc. Everything. 33' is 33' anyway you cut it.

Agreed on your second point. I am fiscally conservative by nature, but the older I get - I am asking myself "Why"?

gregs

Lieutenant
Boat Make
Flowers 38
If you haven't been out in the builders boat or boats do so before doing the deal

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
No one compared the Bert deck space to anything. It is overall space - deck, interior, etc. Everything. 33' is 33' anyway you cut it.

Agreed on your second point. I am fiscally conservative by nature, but the older I get - I am asking myself "Why"?

Don't those berts have 2 engine boxes to stumble around ?? I've seen some really small 30's and i've seen some really comfy 30's. Stick my 29 H&H next to a 28 BHM its only a foot ?? right:rolleyes:

manni-yunk

Commander
Don't those berts have 2 engine boxes to stumble around ?? I've seen some really small 30's and i've seen some really comfy 30's. Stick my 29 H&H next to a 28 BHM its only a foot ?? right:rolleyes:

Remember Betrams are mostly cockpit ( until you get to 35 and above) There are 2 engine boxes, but they are against the bulkhead wall and actually helpful as Scuba tank storage and Cooler storage. The 33 has a cockpit that is almost 130 sq ft. In a 45 DE, Im looking at over 200.

gregs

Lieutenant
Boat Make
Flowers 38
Visiting the builder is certainly essential, but IMHO you must ride in one of their boats before you make a decision. good luck in your decision the building process can be fun and you will know your boat when it is finished.

manni-yunk

Commander
Visiting the builder is certainly essential, but IMHO you must ride in one of their boats before you make a decision. good luck in your decision the building process can be fun and you will know your boat when it is finished.

Thanks - Ive already been on one. Need to get onto the other, but its harder as none are local.

Frank Grimes

Rear Admiral
First Name
John
4) Is it possible to "Overpower" a downeast boat? Ive spent the last 10 years with what I would consider to be an underpowered 33' Bertram. I would rather have to much HP in a large single inboard and run at a lower RPM than spend the next 20 years underpowered. Because of this I am considering 850 HP when the builder thinks I should be fine with 705. Any negative to this?

On this point, I can say one thing I've heard & read about DE's repeatedly is that it's a good idea to put as much power in as you can afford. You don't or won't necessarily need it, but it's good to have in certain situations and as long as the engine will still turn up to rated RPMs at any given moment you won't hurt the longevity of the engine itself by consistently running it 700 or 800 below at cruise. Also tends to help resale more than it hurts it, especially if it's going to be a sportfishing type of layout.

Hooper

Captain
Sorry Bro, given that kinda choice I'm buying a home in the Keys. Good luck in your build however, you'll get great advice here at DEBF.

Last edited:

manni-yunk

Commander
Sorry Bro, I'm buying a home in the Keys!

Its harder than you think.

We looked at land, which is very reasonable for canal front plots. Then you look at the legality and waiting list to be allowed to build. Could take 10+ years - if EVER.

Hooper

Captain
Its harder than you think.

We looked at land, which is very reasonable for canal front plots. Then you look at the legality and waiting list to be allowed to build. Could take 10+ years - if EVER.

I know, I've looked at the process, more than I would care to get involved with. I'd buy something built. Just me, I wish I were in your situation though! It will be great to watch your build take shape.

dave fuller

Lieutenant
Just curious, what are the 2 builders you have it narrowed down to? I know you said d.e. but take a look at a Northumberland builder called Doucette. They build with very close attention to details.

manni-yunk

Commander
Just curious, what are the 2 builders you have it narrowed down to? I know you said d.e. but take a look at a Northumberland builder called Doucette. They build with very close attention to details.

I lump DE in there with Northumberland since really - I cant see much difference in the hull. They are both deep keeled boats. The Wheelhouse is sometimes more forward on the latter, but not always. The only other thing is that the Northumberland seems to go leaner towards the stern at a more dramatic percentage than a maine built DE - but I cant see how that really matters. Both are more similar than different, from what I can tell.

Provincial 45 and Doucette 45 are the two Ive narrowed down to at this point.

I like the deeper keel and flair on the Doucette - but Ive been on a Provincial 45 and LOVED the boat. Provincial is Hard Chine, Doucette is soft. Ive spoken to more than 8 people that built provincials - both recent builds and a few from almost 10 years ago and their passion for the boat and process with Gordon was impressive to say the least.

Several I tracked down by myself and were NOT initiated by Provincial, and the response was the same. That type of follow up commitment is impressive and says a lot about the builder.

I will visit both - but right now, Im leaning VERY hard to provincial.

Plus, my own experience with Gordon at provincial - just in asking for pricing options, config options, etc - is great. Doucette was supposed to get back to me over a week ago with a few options and I havent heard anything at all. No big deal, as I know they are probably busy with these types of requests - but Gordon is "johnny on the spot" with follow up.

Either way- no decision will be made until I make the trip up there and look at both sites in person.

Last edited:

captainlarry84

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
KristenFormer Charter Captain
1) Is it normal/OK for a 40+ ft boat to NOT have full length longitudal stringers? Several Bulkheads (5 or 6) that are all connected bow to stern with fiberglass grid pirces, but no actual full length stringers. I am guessing there are several ways to make a boat strong but at first glance, it seems odd. Full length stringers are usually the norm, however that would be the builders call. On Cored boat which are much stiffer you may not need full length stringer. Solid glass usually yes.

2) Are most Keels left hollow or is it better to fill them in?
They should be left hollow with a wet tube for the shaft. If not they block the keel oof and it is always filled with water. Wet tube is the more pro way to go

3) Is there any forumula or rough estimate as to how deep a keel should be? Ive been in contact with one builder who says one of their advantages is the greater depth of his keel compared to the other (whom he knows Im leaning toward the other).
That is up to the naval architect that designed the hull. make sure the hull you chose was designed by a known architect and not by the builder.

4) Is it possible to "Overpower" a downeast boat? Ive spent the last 10 years with what I would consider to be an underpowered 33' Bertram. I would rather have to much HP in a large single inboard and run at a lower RPM than spend the next 20 years underpowered. Because of this I am considering 850 HP when the builder thinks I should be fine with 705. Any negative to this? Yes too much power is possible. The rubber must meet the road.

If I go through with this - I only want to do it once, so Im being kind of a PITA and I realize it but if Im going to spend more on a boat, than I did my first house, I think I need to be that way!!!
Make sure you get builders insurance during a build a lot can happen. This way your investment is protected.

Best part is we were away in the Keys last week and I gave my wife the choice. Instead of doing this boat build - we could be smart and buy a houe down there. Her answer - "Id rather see you get the boat"....I was shocked!!!!

Top Bottom