Question for FPT Peter ??

BillD

Admiral
Portsmouth NH, boating out of the mighty Merrimack
Boat Make
25 Terry Jason with Cummins 370 power
Figured I run this by you. Question over on boatdiesel.

Original post:

The Mystery of the C8.7

" I received a communication from CAT´s press office a coupe of months ago announcing that CAT was introducing a new engine. Called the C8.7 it was supposedly designed in collaboration with Fiat Power Train and employed both a supercharger and a turbocharger. The supercharger was on line at low rpm until there was sufficient turbo boost, then automatically disengaged.

What makes this so interesting, other than the fact that Volvo Penta introduced a diesel with the same technology back in the 90s, is that ever since that press release, there´s been no further information about this engine from CAT or anyone else. If you do a search on the CAT web site for 8.7, it comes up empty. It´s like it never existed.

Am I in the Twilight Zone? Has anyone else ever heard anything about the CAT C8.7? "

Peter, what's the progress the agreement" Any product on the market horizon?

btw, Gronk's knee looks badly blown/destroyed !!!!

FPTMarineDiesel

Captain
Figured I run this by you. Question over on boatdiesel.

Original post:

The Mystery of the C8.7

" I received a communication from CAT´s press office a coupe of months ago announcing that CAT was introducing a new engine. Called the C8.7 it was supposedly designed in collaboration with Fiat Power Train and employed both a supercharger and a turbocharger. The supercharger was on line at low rpm until there was sufficient turbo boost, then automatically disengaged.

What makes this so interesting, other than the fact that Volvo Penta introduced a diesel with the same technology back in the 90s, is that ever since that press release, there´s been no further information about this engine from CAT or anyone else. If you do a search on the CAT web site for 8.7, it comes up empty. It´s like it never existed.

Am I in the Twilight Zone? Has anyone else ever heard anything about the CAT C8.7? "

Peter, what's the progress the agreement" Any product on the market horizon?

btw, Gronk's knee looks badly blown/destroyed !!!!
Yeah the NFL has created a monster that they themselves now have no control over on the defensive side of the ball. These poor defensive players are subjected to hitting below the knees because they cannot lead into the player above the waste in anyway without being penalized now.... The game is a mess for sure and now Gronk is out because of the situation the NFL created! Poor guy just can't stay healthy!

For the CAT branded C8.7L, yes, this engine should be available from CAT 3rd quarter probably if I am guessing well in 2014. They have pricing out to some of their large OEM's. The engine is coming and it is impressive. Again, exclusive with only one recreational rating for CAT to sell for Tier 3. FPT will have commercial exclusivity with the C90 version and the C13 for Tier 3 with multiple ratings.

The torque at low speed is really impressive. CAT had the C8.7 on display at the Ft. Lauderdale show in October in front of their own version of Pod drive. This is really the reason they came to FPT was for the technology to develop an engine that is reliable, yet high in performance with technology to create very high torque rise and a flat torque curve to put in front of the CAT derived pod drive system. They have worked with FPT on other engines of theirs and FPT could provide a 9 liter displacement engine that met their reliability criteria at 650 Mhp @ 2300 rpm. Same for the C13, they needed something more compact and more fuel efficient than the C18 for the 1000 Mhp market with their pod drive system.

Top Bottom